Nrl 2009

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NRL season is almost upon us, don't know about the other teams but I know the Raiders have a trial match against the Sharks on Saturday.

Raiders have named a lot of youngsters and all our new signings are playing. TLL gets his one and only hit out before the 2nd round of the NRL.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't wait for the season. I'm really pumped to see how we go under Bennett.

We have a trail against the dogs or roosters at WIN, then a trial in Perth then the Charity shield. Like every year I'll be going to the Charity Shield so about a month until the first game for me :D

Feelin Blue? added 1 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

We have a tough first game, away to Melbourne. But there will be a few dragons fans hopefully, their arranging stuff. Could be a group of 50+. I wish I could go.

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
I think my Sea Eagles are gonna go back to back this year. the only trial match I know were playing is the WCC.

We've got a better team than last year IMO, sure we'll miss Menzies and Bell a bit, but we've got two guys who're considered potential superstars in the making in Tony Williams and Jared Waera-Hargraves. Also we have still got a lot of the core group from last year. The only thing that could stop us is a bad injury toll and getting in a slump due to players being picked for State of Origin.

I just think on paper this is a better team than the one that played in the Grand Final. Though I think we could still be challenged by the Warriors, Raiders, Dragons and Broncos for the title this year.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Agree Manly do look like they have a better side this year compared to their GF winning side. I don't think you will have a place for Williams in the backline. But I reckon he could replace Menzies very nicely. Bell is no loss when you consider Lyons goes back to his best spot and you have Chris Bailey at 6.

I think the Raiders have the biggest pack in the NRL - Tilse, TLL, Shillington, Logan, Joel Thompson. I also add Thurling even though his attributes don't show it, on the field his upper body looks monster like and the way he can bust through tackles.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Raiders are a pretty big group. We have Weymen now though, but I would rather Ryles still.

Bennett, Boyd, Smith, Priddis, Pea, Weymen and Head. 7 signings we have made in the off season so I'm hoping there is big improvement in our game this year.

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Agree Manly do look like they have a better side this year compared to their GF winning side. I don't think you will have a place for Williams in the backline. But I reckon he could replace Menzies very nicely. Bell is no loss when you consider Lyons goes back to his best spot and you have Chris Bailey at 6.

I think the Raiders have the biggest pack in the NRL - Tilse, TLL, Shillington, Logan, Joel Thompson. I also add Thurling even though his attributes don't show it, on the field his upper body looks monster like and the way he can bust through tackles.

Yeah I agree Williams is more of a second rower than a centre, I could see him replacing Hall in the Back Row, with Michael Bani slotting in to Bell's spot. I would keep Lyon at 6 for the present time because he played some of his best football at the latter end of last season, meaning Bailey will probably be in the utility role this season.

Also that Raiders pack has great potential, i'm a big fan of Tilse and hope he doesn't screw up his career through indiscipline, because he's going to be a one of best props in the game in the next few seasons, I also liked the signing of Shllington as well, he was one of the Roosters best last season. The raiders have a good young team and will definitely win a premiership within the next 3 years IMO.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Raiders have the biggest pack... Cronulla have the best

Gallen, Ross, Anderson, Tupou, Matua, Williams, Douglas, Hughes have all played rep football and I think Snowden might be a surprise call up to the NSW squad this year if he keeps on improving.. hes a beast as well as big bad John Mannah

Our point scoring problem will be gone with Kimmorley out of there.. I have a feeling Trent Barrett will do for us what Jason Smith did for the Raiders.. identical situation, we also have Karl Filinga with no injury problems and the best back in the 20's comp Mr.Wright coming over from Penrith

We look FANTASTIC

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I actually thought Kimmorley had a brilliant year last year. Hughes and Barrett seem to be at the end of their careers for me. I don't see how our point-scoring problem is fixed with Kimmorley gone, not all tries are scored with the halves. I mean how many times last season did you see the Sharks make a break only to be count down ten metres out and then stuff it? Countless amounts. I still don't think Maitua's signing is great. This guy has been sacked (?) for disciplinary reasons and as usual the Sharks give him a life-line (Seu Seu, Latu bring back any memories.)

If my views are out of wack, forgive me. It's cricket season :D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good win for the Raiders, I heard Wadell out performed Flanno which leaves Furner in an interesting position with regard to the hooking role. McCrone sounded like he went alright including scoring 2 tries. Only disappointing thing was losing Cy to injury.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Nice way to start the season for the Raiders. I'm not sure if either team played there best teams, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't because it is an unofficial trial. Still, Cronulla were a strong team last year so a good win for Canberra.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
It was awesome to watch, the Raiders had around 5 first graders and the Sharks had 0 out of the 34 players they played (They did a full team switch) McCrone looked good but thats about it... nothing special nothing to report apart from Cy, i know someone who has had that injury and its certainly not fun

bushy

Club Cricketer
2006 gf replay

Storm v Broncos
with storm winning 20-10

Dally m - Greg Inglis
Clive Churchill winner - Greg Inglis
Leading Point Scorer - Greg Inglis

i think this is the big year of GI. ive heard rumours he will be the number 1 goal kicker this season.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Great start to the NRL season.... Tamata sacked for the 4th time and with that his career. And now Joel Thompson was arrested for assault. There goes another talented Raider :( I had real high hopes for him cannot believe our luck.

bushy

Club Cricketer
Ryan Hoffman signs new Melbourne Storm deal

AUSTRALIAN Test star Ryan Hoffman has signed a new four-year deal at Melbourne Storm which will keep him at the club until the end of 2012.
Hoffman, 25, made his Storm debut in 2003 and has played 129 NRL games for the club.

He is one of five Melbourne internationals who will play in the club's opening 2009 trial match
against the New Zealand Warriors in Hamilton on Thursday.

The strong-running Hoffman will be joined by Sika Manu and Dallas Johnson to form an all international back-row.

Australian halfback Cooper Cronk and former New Zealand international Wairangi Koopu have also been included in Craig Bellamy’s 22-man squad to face the Warriors.

The Storm squad to play the Warriors is:
Brett Anderson
Dane Nielsen
Willie Isa
Joseph Tomane
Andre Itula
James Maloney
Cooper Cronk
Scott Anderson
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Louis Fanene
Sika Manu