Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Deciding whether or not to pick Aamir has to be a massive headache, he has experience bowling in big occasions among a relatively inexperienced contingent of pacers but his form for the last couple of years has been pretty abysmal to be honest.

Didn't follow the recent series against Australia, was a whitewash but looks like a few players were rested ahead of the World Cup and Umar Akmal was recalled (*groan*). Is the performance in this series a massive cause for concern?
It shows how weak our bench strength is, but there were some blunders, like picking Yasir, who isn't LOs material, ahead of a young spinner like Mohammad Asghar or Umer Khan. Also, Husnain's selection was rushed way too much. I felt Haris Rauf did as well as him in the PSL.
And Asif Ali is the only guy in the international picture who can hit big from ball 1, so he's crucial to our success. Hope Sarfraz, Mickey and Inzi realise that.
On Aamir, i agree, but they're definitely going with both him and Shinwari and leaving Junaid out.

Alexei.

User Title Purchaser
PAK...
NZ....
LQ
QG
Sydney Thunder
Haven't followed this for a while. Has Azhar Ali retired from ODIs? Would love to see him and Fawad Alam

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Haven't followed this for a while. Has Azhar Ali retired from ODIs? Would love to see him and Fawad Alam
Yeah, thank God he's retired from ODIs. Would love to see them too, but in Tests.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So now that we've tested the strenght (or lack thereof) of our reserve team, time to pick a World Cup squad. Here's mine

Fakhar Zaman
Imam-ul-Haq
Babar Azam
Shoaib Malik
Sarfraz Ahmed :wkb: :c:
Asif Ali
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Junaid Khan

Abid Ali
Mohammad Rizwan :wkb:
Haris Sohail
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim
Mohammad Aamir/Usman Shinwari

It's concerning that only 15 players are allowed for such a long tournament. Should've been 18, imo.
I excluded Hafeez because he's unlikely to be fit before the 14 April fitness test.
Tough to pick between Shinwari and Aamir.
Thoughts? @Ahmad94 @Rehan_24 @Perfect Square @Na Maloom Afraad @Aoun13 @hammadahmed88 @El Loco

This is a good team. My only concern is a lack of aggressive options at the top of the lineup. I don't think Imam, at least for now, is well suited for modern ODI cricket. But it might be too late to sub in another opener like Abid Ali or Ahmed Shehzad. (On a side, I thought it was quite ridiculous to favour Umar Akmal over Shehzad in the Aussie series). I'd be tempted to open with Sarfraz or Babar, and bring in Harris Sohail in at 3. I am reluctant to move Babar from 3 because he's going really well there, but he comes in with an early wicket so often that he's almost an opener anyways.

Also, I see you have Faheem and Imad as interchangeable. I also had this dilemma when thinking about the team. In a perfect world, I would have them both. But then you'd lose Asif Ali and we have seen how desperately Pakistan needs a heavy hitter down low as well. I tend to favour Imad as there are still three seamers in the lineup and, for now, Imad has proven more handy with the bat. Finally, I know he's been struggling monumentally, but I am very tempted to start Amir over Junaid. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be great if he can gain some form just for the world cup. It also helps to know that someone like Virat Kohli ranks him quite high. Perhaps his name alone can give him a psychological edge over some batters? I'm not sure though. That's a tough final spot to fill. Hate to leave Abid Ali out, but it might be undue pressure on him to start his career off with the world cup. Here's my lineup and squad.

Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Harris Sohail
Shoaib Malik
Asif Ali
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Mohammad Amir/Junaid Khan

Bench:
Fahim Ashraf
Junaid Khan/Mohammad Amir/
Imam-ul-Haq

shijin

School Cricketer
Pakistan if plays well then they are the toughest team around.
WC squad as per my observation
Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Fahim Ashraf
Shoaib Malik
Asif Ali
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Mohammad Amir

Bench:
Harris Sohail
Junaid Khan
Imam-ul-Haq

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I will personally not go with Amir.
Here are my 15:
Fakhar Zaman
Imam-Ul-Haq
Babar Adam
Hasan Ali
Shadab Khan
Faheem Ashraf
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Imad Wasim
Sarfraz Ahmed
Shoaib Malik/Asif Ali
Mohammad Hafeez/Asif Ali
Haris Sohail
Mohammad Rizwan
Usman Shinwari
Junaid Khan

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Some really good shouts from people:

1. Imam-ul-Haq (Can't ignore his form - even against SA he was exceptional)
2. Fakhar Zaman (need an aggressive opener)
3. Babar Azam
4. Mohammad Rizwan (Exceptional against the AUS - amazing keeper)/ Haris Sohail (takes a little too long to get going - my only concern with him)
5. Shoaib Malik (been out of form and seems out of touch - but has the experience)/
6. Mohammad Hafeez (Perfect finisher for Pakistan - Seen it in Champions Trophy. As long as the ball is not swinging he is great)
7. Sarfaraz Ahmed (keeper and Captain)
8. Imad Wasim (Mediocre bowler - but is turning out to be a decent finisher and batsman)/Faheem Ashraf (Ashraf is a decent bowler but falls away with the bat)
9. Shadab Khan / Shinwari
10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
11. Hasan Ali (English conditions should be ideal at the start)

12. Amir
13. Junaid Khan

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
So now that we've tested the strenght (or lack thereof) of our reserve team, time to pick a World Cup squad. Here's mine

Fakhar Zaman
Imam-ul-Haq
Babar Azam
Shoaib Malik
Asif Ali
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Junaid Khan

Abid Ali
Haris Sohail
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim

Great team. I would back that.

A couple of changes potentially: maybe Shinwari in for Junaid (because he can swing it like crazy).
-Feels a real pity that Rizwan and Sohail have to miss out after such great series against tough opposition - I would go so far as dropping Malik. Malik at best can give you a decent 50 but never the hundred that Rizwan and Sohail have threatened to do.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Some really good shouts from people:

1. Imam-ul-Haq (Can't ignore his form - even against SA he was exceptional)
2. Fakhar Zaman (need an aggressive opener)
3. Babar Azam
4. Mohammad Rizwan (Exceptional against the AUS - amazing keeper)/ Haris Sohail (takes a little too long to get going - my only concern with him)
5. Shoaib Malik (been out of form and seems out of touch - but has the experience)/
6. Mohammad Hafeez (Perfect finisher for Pakistan - Seen it in Champions Trophy. As long as the ball is not swinging he is great)
7. Sarfaraz Ahmed (keeper and Captain)
8. Imad Wasim (Mediocre bowler - but is turning out to be a decent finisher and batsman)/Faheem Ashraf (Ashraf is a decent bowler but falls away with the bat)
9. Shadab Khan / Shinwari
10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
11. Hasan Ali (English conditions should be ideal at the start)

12. Amir
13. Junaid Khan

My only concern with Imam at the top is his defensive play. I'm not sure that will fly on English pitches, especially with what international teams have been doing lately. He definitely has talent, but should get his head out of his behind in my opinion. Otherwise we might have another Umar Akmal situation there. I agree with Rizwan in the 11. I didn't include him because I thought Asif Ali was a necessity for how Pakistan have gone lately, but you can definitely make a case for it. He's also a terrific ground fielder. The only thing here is that your teams seems to have four genuine bowlers. I'm not comfortable with Hafeez being my fifth bowler, and needing to bowl a max 10, if he's even fit to play.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
My only concern with Imam at the top is his defensive play. I'm not sure that will fly on English pitches, especially with what international teams have been doing lately. He definitely has talent, but should get his head out of his behind in my opinion. Otherwise we might have another Umar Akmal situation there. I agree with Rizwan in the 11. I didn't include him because I thought Asif Ali was a necessity for how Pakistan have gone lately, but you can definitely make a case for it. He's also a terrific ground fielder. The only thing here is that your teams seems to have four genuine bowlers. I'm not comfortable with Hafeez being my fifth bowler, and needing to bowl a max 10, if he's even fit to play.

Can't doubt any of your points there.

The nice thing about Imam is that he looked really proactive against in the AUS series and with a decent PSL behind him maybe it increases his attitude towards run scoring.

Once again, as you said, we are going in with a loss of a hitter but let's not forget that Asif Ali has been mediocre on the international circuit.

Bowlers:
- Amir/Shinwari (10 overs)
- Shaheen Afridi (10 overs)
- Hasan Ali (10 overs)
- Shadab Khan (10 0vers)
- Faheem Ashraf/Imad Wasim and Mohammad Hafeez (sharing the quota)

Need to have at least 6 bowlers just in case someone is having an off day. That's my logic

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Fakhar Zaman
Imam-ul-Haq
Babar Azam
Shoaib Malik
Asif Ali
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Junaid Khan

Abid Ali
Haris Sohail
Fahim Ashraf/Imad Wasim
Abid Ali appears to have failed the fitness test, which means they could go with Hafeez as backup opener, and Junaid could squeeze in, fingers crossed, as we're playing at least 15 matches, and quicks could be rotated.
Or they could go the other way and pick Shan Masood, which would be a disastrous pick, imo.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Apparently Amir and Asif are going to be in the England series squad, and could come in the final squad for the WC. So still a hope for Asif.

Users who are viewing this thread