MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
In the coming months I'm planning on rolling out a new design for the PlanetCricket forums - you can see some of the design elements on our home page and the recently launched mobile skin.

It's not done yet, so I've highly obscured parts of the preview I'm about to give everyone - but it should give you an idea of the structure
attachment.php

Specifically there's a 960x100 background inside a repeating block header of 155px tall - with navigation above and below. Both the top and bottom sections have to have text readable on them, though it's a bit more flexible at the top.

Where you all can come in is transferring this over to the country skins that PlanetCricket has - basically giving each country skin a national flavour in the top banner section.

Because we'd be using this on the site you need to ensure that you have the rights to anything you use in making the design. Just finding some images on Google won't do - make sure you're using either things in the public domain (like national symbols) and stuff you've made yourself from scratch.

Obviously using national colours (and/or cricket team colours where they differ), etc would be expected. They don't necessarily have to be matching the colours in the existing skin for that country - but make sure you mention what those colours should be on the other parts of the site if you'd expect them to change from how things currently look.

The edges of the banner need to end with a repeatable block - with both sides the same. Though I can always tweak things at the end when implementing it on the site - so don't be too worried at this stage. You aren't designing a PlanetCricket logo - but you can put a logo in to demonstrate the colour variation you would use.

There'll be one chosen for each country with a skin - with a vCash prize for the winners for each country, as well as the pride of having your design at the top of the site for anyone using that country's skin.

You can enter multiple times, you can collaborate, you can enter for any country, not just your own (though I'm sure there will be huge competition on the Indian banner), and there's no strict time limit.

Post your entries in the thread (you may subtly watermark previews if you wish) as jpegs/pngs - but keep a psd of it safe, as that will need to be provided for the winning entries.

While there's no hard limit on file size, keep that in mind - nothing too elaborate and certainly nothing animated.

Let me know about any questions you may have - and remember that you can always just put something rough up to put an idea across.

Have fun!

Attachments

• super1.png
    super1.png
    14 KB · Views: 204

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
@MattW
What about the things we can't change? Can we get a base .png or .psd file?
See the attached psd.

Basically the transparent parts you can do what you like in, the grey top and bottom need to be a solid enough colour that either white or black text is readable on it, the logo will be added as a layer on top of everything, and next to it is the main navigation, there's four links that will be fixed but you can do a bit of a design around (the background for which will be a separate layer), and then an advertisement on the far side (so don't put anything you want to be visible in that spot)

Attachments

• template.psd
    55.5 KB · Views: 48

Ahmad Shah

Panel of Selectors
Sounds like a good idea this, I am in. Might try a hand on making a Pakistani skin.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
I would've loved to put forward an entry, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time. Will still try my best and see if I can come up with something.

PS: If anyone wants any advice, I'll be glad to help. PM me. :)

Ahmad Shah

Panel of Selectors
One small question, what's the font used in the original PC Logo, I mean the text "Planet Cricket".

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
One small question, what's the font used in the original PC Logo, I mean the text "Planet Cricket".
Don't worry about the logo part (perhaps except for colours), I'll do that at the end. It's a Helvetica variant if you're just wanting to put something there.

Users who are viewing this thread