PowerPlays

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
I Think The powerplays are not being used properly by captains,it seems its like get it out of the way as soon as possible,buts stast show in the powerplays most wickets are taken,i think if captain takes 10 overs in between 20over to 30 over it should maintain intensity in the game and
the singles which have become so easy would be hard to find thus leading to wickets,even if spinners are bowling in power play.specially in subcontinent where intensity drops in the middle overs.

I also think super sub should make a comeback if you had choosen three players and could decide one to choose thus negating the effect of toss
which decides most games

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hate the supersub idea but i agree with you and the Popwerplay tactics.

Aus domestic cricket has made it a more interesting game allowing the batting team to select one 5 over period for the powerplay with the fielding team selceting one 5 over period as well.

jordox

International Cricketer
Remember Fleming the tool waiting until the very last section of overs to use the power play against Australia? LOL that was funny. Slaughter!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I Think The powerplays are not being used properly by captains,it seems its like get it out of the way as soon as possible,buts stast show in the powerplays most wickets are taken,i think if captain takes 10 overs in between 20over to 30 over it should maintain intensity in the game and
the singles which have become so easy would be hard to find thus leading to wickets,even if spinners are bowling in power play.specially in subcontinent where intensity drops in the middle overs.

I also think super sub should make a comeback if you had choosen three players and could decide one to choose thus negating the effect of toss
which decides most games

Captians are stupid-thats the baseline.

Secondly,the supersub has been ruled out forever.

Inroducing the SS back as per your plan,would mean that any of the 15 players can be substituted.
This will be totally against the basic of the game.So essentially a team shall be playing with 15 players instead of 11.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Don't agree with giving the batters a PP.
They'll just use it in the lsat section of overs, which they're already getting 12RPO+ right now.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
In the 07/08 Ford Ranger Cup, the newest rule is that one of the PowerPlays is under the control of the batting team.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what spectators think of a captain's decisions, if it is a risk that fails it is going to be regarded as bad, even though risks are what you need to win. I remember when Lara held off the 3rd PowerPlay to the last 5 overs and was virtually laughed at, even though it was hardly worse than the last 5 overs in normal conditions.

We lambast bad captaincy but only reward good captaincy when it pays off. As Richie Benaud said, you may as well take the credit when your side wins, because no other bugger will take the blame for a loss.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Well I can't blame captians wanting to get them out of the way because if you get throught them without any real damage, then you'll feel in control of the innings.

I feel when the oppostion are scoring runs at certain rate then its best to hold the powerplay back and look to get a wicket.
Which means still keeping a catcher or so in place but give the bowler some more cover. When you get a wicket then you should take the powerplay immediately and put pressure on the new batsman.

If the captian is good enough and smart enough, the powerplays can be used to your advantageand are a good additon to ODI cricket.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Don't agree with giving the batters a PP.
They'll just use it in the lsat section of overs, which they're already getting 12RPO+ right now.

Yeah excatly there already getting 12 an over there so why not take it in the 35th over and get 12 and over there too.

The batting team have used their PP's wisely in the Aus domestic cup.

Users who are viewing this thread