Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

or is it this way
Winner QF1 v Winner QF4
Winner QF2 v Winner QF3

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
India would play SA or NZ (winner of that QF) If they do win against Australia. If India play SL in QF then they have chance to meet Pak in SF.
No you are wrong there.
See World Cup 2011: Quarter-final scenarios for the tournament | Cricket Features | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
See the last para-- In each case, the winners of the first two quarters listed above will play in one semi-final, while the winners of the last two quarters will play in the other, with India playing in Mohali if they make it, and Sri Lanka playing in Colombo.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
No you are wrong there.
See World Cup 2011: Quarter-final scenarios for the tournament | Cricket Features | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
See the last para-- In each case, the winners of the first two quarters listed above will play in one semi-final, while the winners of the last two quarters will play in the other, with India playing in Mohali if they make it, and Sri Lanka playing in Colombo.

If thats how it works then it would be an exciting SF indeed or an easy one if WI win (If we do qualify for it :p)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Pakistan v India if both win ? Wow ! Interesting indeed. I'd give Pakistan the upper hand here seeing as the match would be played in Mohali, which tends to assist seamers.

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Hmm, Mohali does assist the seamers a bit, but with India's better batting, it would be an even match. i would love to think though that India would keep their perfect record against Pakistan in WC going.:p

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm, Mohali does assist the seamers a bit, but with India's better batting, it would be an even match. i would love to think though that India would keep their perfect record against Pakistan in WC going.:p

India's batting line-up although the strongest on paper in this tournament - is overated IMO. Except for the legendary Tendy all of them in the top 7 are vulnerable to various degrees against high quality seam bowling - which PAK have.

So if such a match where to happen on seamer friendly Mohali pitch, PAK would have the edge. Only if the pitch is flat would it be even for both sides.

STLIndian

Club Cricketer
It wouldn't be an even match. India is better than Pakistan. That doesn't mean Pakistan can't win (it's just a one-off), but if that match would be played in Mohali 10 times, India would win at least 6 of them.

And no, India's batting is not overrated. It's the best in the tournament by a solid margin. I don't get how anyone can make a statement like that when it was obvious that our batting was all that kept us in it against ENG and SA.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Having said that, our bowling is so weak that the batsmen aren't sure as to what score they have to chase set every time they walk in to bat.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Your bowling will be fine against us, just play the 3 spinners and they should take care of the rest just have to see the warmup game.

ferg512

International Coach
The West Indies could probably do with losing this game against India. They would much rather play Pakistan than Australia.

War

Chairman of Selectors
It wouldn't be an even match. India is better than Pakistan. That doesn't mean Pakistan can't win (it's just a one-off), but if that match would be played in Mohali 10 times, India would win at least 6 of them.

PAK is better balanced than IND. How can a team with an excellent batting line-up - but weak bowling attack (India) be better than a team with a good batting line-up & a very good bowling attack (PAK)?. If the match is played at Mohali 10 times i'd back PAK to win 6 especially if the pitch is helping the quicks in any way.

And no, India's batting is not overrated. It's the best in the tournament by a solid margin. I don't get how anyone can make a statement like that when it was obvious that our batting was all that kept us in it against ENG and SA.

I never said it wasn't the best in the tournament. I said it was overated in its ability to handle quality pace bowling, in which except for Tendy the entire top 7 is vulnerable against high class quick bowling. The entire world knows about the vulnerability the likes of Yuvraj, Raina, Pathan, Sehwag have against such bowling.

That IND top 7 isn't as strong as lets say AUS 2003 & 2007 WC winning top 7 batting line-up.

High quality pace in the Twenty20 world cup last year is what knocked India out of that tournament. Plus in the S Africa game, its your batting that cost IND that game quite clearly after the start IND had.

ENG doesn't have a quality ODI pace attack, so that was easy work on flat pitch for that IND batting line-up.

----------

Your bowling will be fine against us, just play the 3 spinners and they should take care of the rest just have to see the warmup game.

Yes im surprised India haven't adopted a 3 spin strategy already like what SRI tried vs AUS earlier. Once they keep picking average quicks like Patel, Nehra & maybe Sreesanth, IMO they will face hearbreak soon.

STLIndian

Club Cricketer
PAK is better balanced than IND. How can a team with an excellent batting line-up - but weak bowling attack (India) be better than a team with a good batting line-up & a very good bowling attack (PAK)?. If the match is played at Mohali 10 times i'd back PAK to win 6 especially if the pitch is helping the quicks in any way.

Pakistan don't have a good batting lineup. They were bowled out of under 200 against NZ and struggled to chase down 177 against AUS. They wouldn't be able to chase down a 290+ total to save their lives.

I never said it wasn't the best in the tournament. I said it was overated in its ability to handle quality pace bowling, in which except for Tendy the entire top 7 is vulnerable against high class quick bowling. The entire world knows about the vulnerability the likes of Yuvraj, Raina, Pathan, Sehwag have against such bowling.

That IND top 7 isn't as strong as lets say AUS 2003 & 2007 WC winning top 7 batting line-up.

High quality pace in the Twenty20 world cup last year is what knocked India out of that tournament. Plus in the S Africa game, its your batting that cost IND that game quite clearly after the start IND had.

ENG doesn't have a quality ODI pace attack, so that was easy work on flat pitch for that IND batting line-up.

How many quality quicks exactly does Pakistan have? My eyes show me one. One. Riaz/Razzaq/Akhtar can be easily dealt with.

Meh, I don't care if it's as good as Aus 03 or 07. It's irrelevant.

The t20 cup? Really? The one we played without Sehwag, Tendulkar, and Kohli? That one?

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
Just a few inputs off the top of my head...

South Africa

Our attack looks solid and diverse - the only team in this year's World Cup to 10 wickets in each game and also the only team to concede more than 250 runs in an innings only once.

I wont go so far as to predict our progress from here on (Any SA fan knows better than to think we're favourites), but for a change we're spoiled for choice.

- We seem to have a number of players in good form and some of our lesser
spinners have played a massive role. Robin Peterson has turned into an
essential player in our team, even though Ive always only seen him as the
"token non-white guy" in the team.

- Lopsy looked awesome today, I dont know what he does or how he does it
but somehow he takes wickets without making the ball dance lol Good
lengths and a tight line still has a place in ODI's so props to him.

- Enjoy the way we manage to fire without relying too much on Steyn and
Kallis. Im pretty sure many people (including myself) thought those two
guys had to be on top of their game in every game for us to perform well.
Even though they have put in good performances when it counted, its
great to see the rest of the team stepping up and even overshadowing
them when they were needed.

- Smith is a problem, but again - we ended up top of the table with him
failing pretty much all the way through.

- Our middle/lower-middle order seems to gel better also. Glad Faf had a
good bat and the way Duminy/Faf and Peterson pulled it through against
India shows that the hickup against England is a thing of the past.

So yeah, for now thats all that comes to mind...

Sri Lanka

They look the best contenders for taking the WC at the moment, even if they lost to Pakistan they have been our bogey team for a couple of years now and seem to have very few weaknesses/overall really consistent. Seriously glad that we wont face them in the QF - Im pretty sure they will make the final, not sure when we face them if we do.

England
Pity about England making it though...In fact a little part of me hoped we would lose to Bangladesh today simply because I want England to go home. I dont think they deserve to be there - Sure they beat us, but they have been seriously shoddy overall. Apart from Bresnan they are a loose-canon in the seam-bowling department. With Broad/Pietersen gone Im not sure how far they will go...not far I hope.

Australia
Its good to see Australia lose today. The signs have been there for a few years now and also right through the World Cup - but finally today there is irrefutable proof that FINALLY they've got their hands full and are inferior to a number of sides in the world.

This is the first World Cup where, pretty much man for man (for the most part), they are a weaker side than SA. Especially when it comes to spin - they probably have the second weakest spinning combo out of the 8 teams going into the QF's and from a logical standpoint they should not win the World Cup.

Brett Lee seems to be the only guy firing and really the only player in their team who I think still has the killer-blow we've come to fear from Aussie teams in the past.

Watson looks decent but his only notable score (apart from the minnow-bashing) was against New Zealand who has the weakest attack of the 8 teams going through.

New Zealand

Weakest of the teams in the QF - seriously stoked that the match-ups worked out the way it did because Sri Lanka/Pakistan (on their day) are looking pretty dangerous.

I dont know....New Zealand still seems to me like a team without any game changer players (apart from Vettori/Mills). Even Ross Taylor who is good doesnt strike me as someone who would make the starting XI in any other team - not trying to be an ass, but in a World Cup you need players who are better than just decent and to me NZ have too many only decent players in their team.

Ok so for now thats that, will do the India/Pak/WIN once Ive had some sleep.

blazerix

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What happens if India lose to the West Indies? Will they still be facing Australia?

STLIndian

Club Cricketer
What happens if India lose to the West Indies? Will they still be facing Australia?

If we win, we face AUS, SL face ENG, and PAK face WI.

If we lose, we face SL, WI face AUS, and PAK face ENG. (This would be different if India lose by 180+ runs, but I doubt that would happen)

Users who are viewing this thread