right, enough of gamespy.

dippa

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
after getting thoroughly annoyed with its time out issues, ive had enough. there's a better solution than gamespy, considering that a lot of people are keen to play regularly on these forums. its called hamachi.

What is Hamachi?

Simply put, Hamachi is VPN software (Virtual Private Network). When you install Hamachi, it installs another network device on your computer. It then talks through this device to other users on "networks" and you can message each other and do all sorts of things without any preconfiguration whatsoever* - including lots of games.

Me and my friends have been using it for a year now, and its a wonderful piece of software for gaming.

What games can you play on Hamachi?

What games CAN'T you play on Hamachi? Nevertheless, here is a list of the ones I know that definitely work:

NBA Live 07
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 / 5
Red Alert 2
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Warcraft III
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
SNES/ROM/etc Emulators (we tried Street Fighter games, X-men vs Street Fighter etc.)
Heroes of Might and Magic III / V

and lots more.

This is rubbish. Prove that it works.

Ok.

www.hamachi.cc and follow the links, or you can download directly from this link: http://files.hamachi.cc/HamachiSetup-1.0.2.0-en.exe (974kb)

Incidentally, file sharing and browsing is disabled by default usually, although you can turn it off if it isn't.

I've installed Hamachi ... now how do I get to play BLIC07?

Go through the Hamachi tutorial when you first load it up. It'll teach you how to join networks - the tutorial takes about a minute and is very easy - and then you can join this network:

Network: Planetcricket.net BLIC 07 Network
password: planetcricket.org

Just so you know, this software is free. It takes a second to create a network which has a maximum of 16 users. You can also block particular users on networks you're in, go offline or online in particular networks if you want to only be in one or two networks and do much more. This software is really great.

* Just as a note, in some games Windows Firewall created problems with Hamachi, so I disabled Windows Firewall for the Hamachi connection. (Not most of them, but a couple refused to work with it running.)

Networks can also be deleted in a snap as once a network is created you can't transfer admin powers (ability to evict other people from the network and change the password etc) to other users. This might apply to some of the PlanetCricket.net admins who might see the potential in this and decide to make an official "network" or "networks" later down the track.

I haven't seen Hamachi go down very often in the year I've been using it. Anyway, this is a great program with loads of potential, and will make playing tournaments and just games of BLIC07 in general a lot easier. Sure, you have to actually install the program but this way it's almost like having a buddy list of players, who you can message. You can also play other games that you both might have, and because it's Hamachi you don't have any of that nagging setup problems with port forwarding! It's too good to be true!

(No, I don't work for Hamachi. Just download the darn thing and let's have a game of cricket. :D )

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Thnaks for the info mate. I'll give it a go some time over easter.

Can you chat in game with Hamachi?

dippa

Club Captain
no you can't. if i sent you a message through hamachi while we were in-game, you'd see it on your desktop only.

hamachi also has no voice chat, however you could use hamachi to create a ventrilo/teamspeak server for lan which other people on your hamachi network could join (but then that'd be a bit of a waste really).

dippa

Club Captain
gamespy goes down every now and again. its irritating. hamachi is also like playing vs IP, except you don't have to actually go to the trouble of getting an IP off someone so its a lot simpler.

there's also the benefit of joining a network but not having to be in it all the time, so that you can reserve your spot. its like having a buddy list of people you can instantly play with (sort of).

Users who are viewing this thread