Your Cricket Shining A Cricket Ball

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wasn't sure about shining a cricket ball so I thought I would ask it in here. I just have a couple of questions.

1) When shining a ball, does it keep it 'new' if you shine it?

2) Does shining a ball cause it to swing more then letting it be, particualry with a new ball?

3) If you bowl with a wet ball, is that bad and should you try and get the water off by shining it?

NOTE: By starting this thread, I am NOT encouraging ball tampering. I just wanted to know if it was worth shining the ball.

:cheers,
Left_Hander

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Left_Hander said:
2) Does shining a ball cause it to swing more then letting it be, particualry with a new ball?

Left_Hander

i guess, there will be some movement of the ball when bowled with shiny side facing the wind....

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks Surrendar. Me being a spinner I don't really care, I just wanted to know.

:cheers

Sureshot

Executive member
Left_Hander said:
I wasn't sure about shining a cricket ball so I thought I would ask it in here. I just have a couple of questions.

1) When shining a ball, does it keep it 'new' if you shine it?

3) If you bowl with a wet ball, is that bad and should you try and get the water off by shining it?

NOTE: By starting this thread, I am NOT encouraging ball tampering. I just wanted to know if it was worth shining the ball.

Left_Hander

Shining a ball is only considered ball tampering if you use something other than saliva and trousers to shin it iirc.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Read the thread below, 'Swing Explained'. Explains how having the ball in different conditions can effect how it swings.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
Forehead sweat works very well when it comes to shining a ball. Although you may end up with a red forehead.

With question 3, you should always dry a wet ball for a couple reasons. A wet ball won't swing and a wet ball is a lot harder to grip.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I often wonder how much hair product some of those bowlers are getting on the ball when they wipe their brow.

embi

International Coach
Sureshot said:
That too. I think anything natural, I've not seen anyone use Urine yet though :D

I wonder what effect that would have, probably screw up the bowlers grip though, it would go all sticky

dont ask how I knew that

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks for the comments.

But is shining a ball really neccesary?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Left_Hander said:
Thanks for the comments.

But is shining a ball really neccesary?

Definately. Should always try to keep the ball swinging for as long as possible. As a spinner, it is easy to get a lot of shining in and try to keep the ball in a good shape for when the seamers come back on. I would imagine it helps a little with the drift aspect as well.

langerrox

International Coach
try freezing the bowl i heard this works, however it is ball tampering so use at your own peril.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Well there are no cameras in school/college matches so just do it behind the umpires back on the way to your run-up spot:D.

How about wiping the ball on your trousers?

Users who are viewing this thread