South Africa tour of New Zealand, Feb-March 2011/12

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Under certain conditions, it seems VirtualEye is worse than useless to the DRS umpire as he reviews a decision. It is not stated whether these limitations apply to Hawkeye/Eagle Eye etc. It doesn't change the fact that VirtualEye, the rest of the time, will aid DRS/third umpires in making umpiring decisions better.

teamindia, answer me a simple question:
Do you honestly think that DRS results in a worse standard of umpiring?

They have been too inconsistent in the games against India. India is (un)fortunately the center of my universe :D. I would rather prefer the 3rd umpire dialing the onfield guys if he notices something obvious. This can be done without any referring with existing technologies. Money spent on hotspot and virtual eye can be used for associate funding.

Edit: Players can start playing with the true spirit of the game as well. Walking would be a good start.

Last edited:

6ry4nj

International Coach
Apologies that this is getting a bit OT but, in the interest of negotiating an end to the hostilities before they spread to every thread:), please permit me.

They have been too inconsistent in the games against India. India is (un)fortunately the center of my universe :D. I would rather prefer the 3rd umpire dialing the onfield guys if he notices something obvious. This can be done without any referring with existing technologies. Money spent on hotspot and virtual eye can be used for associate funding.

You're deliberately avoiding the question. I think you know that if you say DRS lowers the standard of umpiring, you will reduce your credibility on this topic to zero.

teamindia, I'm on your side against the trolls on nearly every other topic. I respect your intelligence, your English skills and your other good qualities.

So why do you feel you have to switch off your brain and parrot the BCCI party line on this issue?

Your 'third way' with the third umpire himself instigating reviews is a good idea, but it is not under consideration, so raising it is just another way of avoiding a question that you can only credibly answer one way.

Edit: Players can start playing with the true spirit of the game as well. Walking would be a good start.

Walking has its place - it communicates the batsman's opinion on the decision to the umpire. But umpires in this day and age would still be under pressure to make their own decision, and call the batsman back who had got their self-umpiring decision wrong.

I understand the appeal of the "gentleman's game" argument, but if we think for a moment we realize that in any other sport the idea of self-regulation by players (imagine a goalkeeper awarding a penalty to Ronaldo) would be utterly ludicrous.

Sureshot

Executive member
Sounds like common sense.

Quite. Not exactly difficult to be flexible with a system that has known flaws that everyone accepts, rather than a stiff, cast iron attitude about it. If it was that obviously wrong (I haven't seen it), then over rule it. Surely the onsite engineers could have communicated the issues at that time with the cameras?

It should be there as an aid, not a definitive.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I would much rather open with McCullum and have Flynn at 3.

Taylor was saying that McCullum is staying at three which would suggest that Flynn is being brought in to replace Nicol.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yea Littlejohn said as much, but I don't like it :p

teamindia

Club Cricketer
You're deliberately avoiding the question. I think you know that if you say DRS lowers the standard of umpiring, you will reduce your credibility on this topic to zero.

So why do you feel you have to switch off your brain and parrot the BCCI party line on this issue?

I am not avoiding the question. What I meant was based on the use of DRS in matches involving India I think it does not bring any special value. Almost every decision where DRS has been used by India or opponents has been controversial.
1. Sachin LBW in World cup
2. Dravid and Laxman wicket in Eng
3. Ian Bell wicket in world cup

DRS in India matches have not made a definite conclusion. They still have the element of doubt. The recent issues with DRS have not helped me change my mind in any way. I do not believe it is ready for use (atleast in Indian matches :lol)

Even if it matures in the future and if the price tag/restrictions are true, I would rather prefer to avoid it. If I remember right hotspot (or probably hawkeye) has some military technology and so only Engl/Aus can use it without any restrictions. For any other country to use it, they need to be brought in like 48 hours before the game and some representative of the company should be guarding it :facepalm I wonder what will happen if it is sent to Pak, Zib etc.

Last edited:

MikeNZcricket

School Cricketer
It looks like Dean Brownlie will slot in at number six with Vettori and Van Wyk moving down one position. I'm not sure they've entirely ruled out McCullum opening either. Personally that would be the ideal move with Flynn finding form down the order in the Plunket Shield but either way it's better than having Rob Nicol in the team so I'm happy.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, while Flynn has opened in the past you'd think it would make sense to bat him in the middle order and just move McCullum back up (Where he's wanted to bat for years now).

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Players off just in time to watch the rugby. :spy

What a miserable day of I have to say uninspiring cricket from the Taylor not to mention some very bad captaincy.

ferg512

International Coach
I'm sick of people making excuses for Vettori. Test bowling is about taking wickets, not about holding up an end going for 2 an over so the other bowler can attack. Really important couple of innings for him batting wise in this test, because he certainly shouldn't be in the team for his bowling. If he wasn't so caught up in his own personal milestones maybe he would have done the right thing and retire from tests and keep playing one day cricket (a format in which he was arguably the best bowler in the world).

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I'd rate him in the top 6 batsmen in the country so in my team he'd make it as a batsman.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Does anyone else feel it's time that substitute batsmen were allowed in cases of serious injury? It's just ridiculous, especially when they're already behind the 8 ball, that New Zealand have to play with ten men and nine wickets, because one of their best bats was injured in the line of duty. Is there any other sport that deprives a team of a player because someone gets genuinely injured?

Users who are viewing this thread