South America 2014 World Cup qualifiers

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

Suarez not really doing himself any favors, is he? But what the hell was Jara doing with Luis' dick though? Was asking to be punched.. He's no saint either.

At this point, I just laugh. He's just so ridiculous that I really don't know what to say about him anymore.

That being said, I would punch someone who grabbed me by the balls as well.

530015_586792494666212_831203918_n.jpg

But knowing Suarez, even if he wasn't grabbing his balls, Suarez would have punched him anyway! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Loool. Just read that Messi also threw up after missing a one on one in that same match. Extreme stuff!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned

Uruguay finally finding their mojo back in the dying stages of qualifying, impressive home win versus a full strength & in form Colombia side.

Last edited by a moderator:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Five things we learned from South American qualifiers by Tim Vickery - ESPN FC

quote said:
1 - ARGENTINA KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING

The first team from the continent to book their place in Brazil, Argentina's qualification might seem predictable enough - but it looked anything but in the early stages of the campaign, when coach Alejandro Sabella's side lost to Venezuela and drew at home to Bolivia.

Since then, though, the side have made enormous progress. They are not perfect. Sabella is aware that there is a price to pay for fielding two strikers plus Lionel Messi, and Angel di Maria as part of a midfield trio; it means that the team can be very vulnerable down the flanks, a weakness that was exposed in Tuesday's hour of triumph, the 5-2 win away to Paraguay which sealed qualification with two rounds still to play.

The positive side of the equation, though, is that the team have powerful and exciting attacking firepower. Their rapid counter attacks were too much for a bewildered Paraguay defence. Di Maria's capacity to surge from deep makes him ideal for this type of game, and, crucially, Messi is housed in a structure which gets the best out of him. He has an excellent understanding with Fernando Gago behind him - so often Messi's supply line. And in front of him he clicks naturally with Sergio Aguero.

There is still work to be done on the balance between attack and defence, but over the course of the campaign, Sabella's team have worked out a well-defined and attractive identity.

2 - COLOMBIA AND ECUADOR HAVE GONE OFF THE BOIL

Neither of these teams were anywhere near their best in these two rounds, though Colombia's win over Ecuador means that barring a mathematical miracle, they have made it to their first World Cup since 1998.

But in neither round did they show the spark that was burning so brightly a few months ago, when the players seemed to be enjoying themselves so much it was as if they were experiencing a collective childhood. Laboured and a little lucky against Ecuador, in the away match against Uruguay, the Colombians were worryingly passive and lacking width. Like the days before coach Jose Pekerman took over, they found it very hard to get behind the opposing defence and thus get the best out of centre forward Radamel Falcao Garcia. Pekerman needs to do some thinking. What is his best starting eleven?

Ecuador have had to endure the tragic loss of striker Christian Benitez, which has understandably shaken morale. It could be that they are also suffering from the defensive deficiencies showed up in June by a second string Germany side, who were four goals up before the half hour mark. Confidence has been undermined, and having to settle for the play-off slot has become a real possibility.

3 - CHILE ARE FLYING

Coach Jorge Sampaoli's side recorded their fourth consecutive win in the campaign with Friday's 3-0 triumph over Venezuela. They are playing the most exhilarating football in the continent, full of pace, movement and attacking intent. And then they confirmed their good form by coming within a few seconds of beating world champions Spain in a friendly in Switzerland. Only a stoppage time goal secured a 2-2 draw for the Spaniards, who were the latest victims of Chile's incisive attacking play. A place in Brazil next year now beckons - one win from their remaining two games will be enough, and the worst case scenario is a two legged play-off against Jordan. Neutrals should be cheering them over the line, for they will surely be an asset to the World Cup.

4 ? URUGUAY ARE NEVER MORE DANGEROUS THAN WHEN THEY HAVE THEIR BACKS TO THE WALL

A few months ago it looked a tall order for Uruguay even to finish fifth and make it to the play-off. That is now all but assured - indeed, coach Oscar Washington Tabarez can now set his sights firmly on an automatic qualifying slot. Uruguay are level on points with fourth placed Ecuador, but with an inferior goal difference. In the next round, in a month's time, Uruguay climb the Andes to meet Ecuador in their mountain fortress of Quito. The altitude makes it very hard for un-acclimatised opponents. But Uruguay are making a habit of coming up with big wins when it matters most.

Their triumphs away to Venezuela and Peru were hard fought affairs of vital importance - these are (were in the case of Peru) the two rivals for fifth place. And then the sky blues topped it off by coming up with two late goals to beat Colombia on Tuesday.

After a dreadful 2012/13, Tabarez has got his mojo back. He has worked out that his team are at their best when they sit deep, with the defence and the midfield lines close together, and look to slip Luis Suarez into space to break on the counter-attack. Vastly experienced, they are a good tournament team - and it is looking increasingly likely that they will have the chance to show it in Brazil next year.

5 - A NEW GENERATION IS EMERGING TO CARRY VENEZUELA TO THE NEXT LEVEL

The Venezuelans can cling on to a far-fetched mathematical possibility of snatching fifth place. They need to win their one remaining game (at home to Paraguay), hope that either Uruguay or Ecuador lose both theirs, and also overturn a significant goal difference deficit (six goals against Uruguay, 10 against Ecuador). It is not going to happen. Venezuela's brave campaign will end in disappointment - mainly because they have scored fewer goals than anyone else.

Coach Cesar Farias has stopped them being a soft touch, but it came at a price. Going into Tuesday's game against Peru they had scored just four times in six home games - nowhere near good enough for a side with serious ambitions of making it to the World Cup.

On Tuesday, then, Farias was a bit more adventurous. He paid a price for picking a midfield with a more attacking balance - it was a factor directly responsible for Peru taking the lead. But by the final whistle he must surely have been thinking that he made the right choice. The goal that ended up winning the game illustrates the point, since two of Venezuela's promising youngsters combined to score it. Little left footed Yohandry Orozco cut in from the right flank to set up the similarly diminutive Romulo Otero for a well-placed finish. These two talented attacking midfielders carry with them the hope that Venezuela can build on this impressive campaign, and that lack of goals and creativity will be less of a problem next time round.

War

Chairman of Selectors
BBC Sport - World Cup 2014: Ecuador and Uruguay's growing rivalry

quote said:
World Cup 2014: Ecuador and Uruguay's growing rivalry

By Tim Vickery
BBC Sport
England's bid to reach Brazil next year could be heading towards yet another crunch game with Poland at Wembley next Tuesday, a tie which is rich in World Cup qualifying history. On the other side of the Atlantic, a contest is building up a similar pedigree.
Ecuador v Uruguay in Quito, is a story whose latest chapter will be written on Friday. It is a clash with an agreeable contrast; the first kings of the global game visiting a team which, 25 years ago, were merely making up the numbers.
Indeed, it was a win over Uruguay in the 1989 Copa America which first hinted that Ecuador might be on their way towards better things. Eight years later I could hardly believe my eyes as Ecuador took Uruguay apart with a 4-0 win in World Cup qualification.
Soon afterwards I made my BBC debut; basing my arguments on that game, I said that Ecuador would probably miss out on France 98, but we be strong candidates to make their debut in future tournaments. If all my predictions were as good I'd have put betting companies out of business and be the owner of a Caribbean island!

The subsequent qualification campaigns have followed the same fixtures, with Ecuador at home to Uruguay in the penultimate round. It has always been decisive.
In late 2001 I was in Quito for the match where Ecuador needed only a point to make it to their first World Cup. For some reason I was given the credentials of a photographer, and so I was standing behind the goal. It was the right place to be.
This was not an occasion to be analysed, dissecting the pattern of play from the stands. It was a game to be felt, right up close, to see the sweat fly and sense the nerves jangling, to hear the players trying to encourage those who were struggling, even to dodge the bottles raining down on the Uruguayans at half-time.

They had scored a first-half penalty, but wilted after the break as the effects of the altitude (2,800m above sea level) kicked in. The momentum was all with Ecuador, but their striker, the talented but wayward Ivan Kaviedes, was not having a good game.
I got in earnest conversation with a man from the local FA who was standing beside me. Kaviedes should be taken off, we agreed. He was not doing anything right. And then, inevitably, Kaviedes headed the vital goal. We looked at each other and burst out laughing. Ecuador had the point they needed.
On the final whistle I rushed back to the hotel to watch the other games in the round, and then spent the night writing and broadcasting.
When I wandered out the next morning the streets were ankle deep in broken glass, and all the shops were being opened late by bleary eyed but euphoric staff. It must have been quite a night.

Four years later was a far tamer rerun. Once again Ecuador needed a point to qualify, while a point was good for Uruguay in their quest to finish fifth, the play-off position. A dreary 0-0 draw was the outcome.

But there was no chance of a non-aggression pact in 2009. Both teams were fighting for the play-off spot. The outcome in Quito would go a long way towards deciding the matter.

With home advantage and a two-point lead, Ecuador looked the better bet, especially when Jefferson Montero set up Antonio Valencia for the opening goal with less than 25 minutes to go.

But they overdid the celebrations, lost concentration and within a minute former Manchester United forward Diego Forlan had set up Liverpool's Luis Suarez for the equaliser.

In stoppage time Edinson Cavani won a penalty, Forlan fired into the top corner
and the rest is history - Ecuador missed out, while Uruguay qualified for South Africa via the play-offs and went on to reach the semi-finals.

Liverpool striker Suarez gives Uruguay a real cutting edge and scored twice as they beat Peru last month

That same combination of attacking firepower and mental strength when it matters has rescued Uruguay in the current campaign. Even the play-off spot looked a long way off a few months ago, but since then they have won away to direct rivals Venezuela and Peru, and beaten Colombia in Montevideo.

This is a splendid sequence of results, and it has brought them level on points with Ecuador but with an inferior goal difference. Depending to a large extent on what happens on Friday, there is a real chance now that Uruguay can qualify automatically, and that Ecuador will have to settle for the play-off.

The form of Ecuador, meanwhile, has suffered a wobble. The tragic early death of Christian Benitez was a blow to morale; another came in a friendly played against a second string Germany in the United States at the end of May.

Ecuador's defensive deficiencies were ruthlessly exposed by the dynamism of their European opponents. Germany were four up after 23 minutes. The South Americans hit back strongly and perhaps ended up deserving better than a 4-2 defeat.

But doubts about their capacity to defend were sown. The team have not subsequently played with the same conviction, accumulating two draws and two defeats in four World Cup qualifiers.

Will they be able to cope with Suarez? And if they take extra defensive precautions, will that interfere with their capacity to impose their attacking game on the Uruguayans, and force a rhythm which the visitors will be unable to keep up for the full 90 minutes?

The burden is on Ecuador to go out and win the game. Without a victory on the road, they travel to take on the dangerous Chileans in the final round, while Uruguay are at home to already qualified Argentina, who will be without Lionel Messi or Gonzalo Higuain.

Whatever happens on Friday, it promises to provide a fresh instalment of memories in the recent but dramatic history of Quito clashes between Ecuador and Uruguay.

Auwais

International Coach
Surprised that no-one in the prediction thread had Ecuador down to win, given their home record

Guess they probably thought they were a team of nobodies or something.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I know they're good, they have some great players. I have no idea about how they play as a group whereas I know Uruguay did well in the World Cup. That is about all I know about international football and I'm sure others are similar:p.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Surprised that no-one in the prediction thread had Ecuador down to win, given their home record

Guess they probably thought they were a team of nobodies or something.

Ha well i was aware of them, but i thought Uruguay's recent revival would be able to topple them at home. Need to see highlights of that 3-3 Colombia/Chile game.

Users who are viewing this thread