Stuart Broad escapes fine with umpire apology

srikarr12

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bangladesh v England: Stuart Broad escapes fine with umpire apology - Telegraph

Again he escapes without being punished. Swann did the same thing a couple of days ago. This is starting to get ridiculous. And when a another player for example from the sub continent gets defended the horses will gallop and bring out a huge list of ICC suspensions/fines list to prove to that it hardly happens with the english or australian players.

Its a joke really, as simple as apologising can get you off the hook even if your a repeat offender.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Much of a muchness. McGrath and Warne used to do exactly the same thing as Broad (saw a couple of examples of it last night watching highlights of the 2001 Ashes) and no-one seemed to care too much about that. Guess people like having a go at Broad atm, seems to receive a lot of flak. I think it's a nothing issue personally, if it's plumb I have no problem with the Broad style of appeal.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
So when Stuart Broad's bowling what you're saying is that their isn't any need for an umpire, he'll just make the decision on whether he thinks it's out or not?

It's not something I'd want any bowler doing to be perfectly honest, and I definitely see it as a big issue.

P

pcfan123

I see it as an issue as well. He does it habitually, this is not a one off.

age of the fall

International Cricketer
Bangladesh v England: Stuart Broad escapes fine with umpire apology - Telegraph

Again he escapes without being punished. Swann did the same thing a couple of days ago. This is starting to get ridiculous. And when a another player for example from the sub continent gets defended the horses will gallop and bring out a huge list of ICC suspensions/fines list to prove to that it hardly happens with the english or australian players.

Its a joke really, as simple as apologising can get you off the hook even if your a repeat offender.

Race card, Nice. But seriously, I'm not a big fan of what doing this and it does need to be stopped. It disrespects the umpire

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
So when Stuart Broad's bowling what you're saying is that their isn't any need for an umpire, he'll just make the decision on whether he thinks it's out or not?

It's not something I'd want any bowler doing to be perfectly honest, and I definitely see it as a big issue.

He doesn't run down the pitch like that when it isn't out, only when it's plumb. Sure he shouldn't do it, but it's a natural reaction for him to do it, much like it was with McGrath and Warne. They all do turn at the end of their runs too, it's not like they don't completely appeal. Don't see a problem with it tbh.

TumTum

International Cricketer
He doesn't run down the pitch like that when it isn't out, only when it's plumb. Sure he shouldn't do it, but it's a natural reaction for him to do it, much like it was with McGrath and Warne. They all do turn at the end of their runs too, it's not like they don't completely appeal. Don't see a problem with it tbh.

You said that twice now... :p

P

pcfan123

That is not his call to make.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
And he's not making the decision, just believes it's plumb, so starts to celebrate, before turning quite late and appealing. Really not seeing the big issue here, I actually enjoy watching McGrath and Broad's celebrations.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
I don't have much of a problem with it. Broad is taking the risk of being embarrassed really, if the umpire gives it not out.

Sureshot

Executive member
And he's not making the decision, just believes it's plumb, so starts to celebrate, before turning quite late and appealing. Really not seeing the big issue here, I actually enjoy watching McGrath and Broad's celebrations.

This.

I don't believe we should ever hold a sportsman back from celebrating achieving what his job is. It's not malicious, he's just happy because he's got a wicket, or at least will do when the finger goes up. I think too many people see it as something it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread