Test playing teams to be knocked out early?

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Every tournament since 96 (except in 96), a top team has been knocked out through an upset in the first round.

In 2007: Pakistan and India were out.

In 2003: England, Pakistan, South Africa, and the West Indies (while the tournament was designed for 2 top teams to not go through, these teams fell out at a loss to Kenya and Zimbabwe so it counts as an upset)

In 1999: England, Sri Lanka, and the West Indies were out.

In 1996: All the test playing nations went through (Quarter-Final format in subcontinent)

Anyway, so which teams will not make it to the quarter finals this time around, and which teams will replace them?

IMO Bangladesh can go through at the expense of West Indies if Bangladesh comprehensively win their games against the minnows and beat the West Indies.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I don't think that BD will go through. Everyone has been writing off the West Indies,which can turn into a powerful force. The wickets in the SC are quite different and the Windies do have some power hitters who can turn the game around.
The fact that the WI haven't played many matches of late is a matter of concern amongst a lot of fans, but I am sure they will go through.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'm not sure for WI. Simply because they have been poor in past ODIs, have a relatively inexperienced squad, and a lack of match-practice.

BD have been making good strides recently, and the news coming out of the camp is that the seamers are bowling about 5Ks faster with improved control, the fielders are getting better, and the side is extremely determined to make it to the Quarters and past that. All good signs so far.

From the other group, NZ and Pak are vulnerable.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
You are reading way too much into BD's recent performances. They won't make the knockouts. The other teams are too powerful for them.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I agree with the OP - Bang is the most likely to cause an upset. Definitley the dark horse of the tournament.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
How many dark horses can there be in a tournament? Pak and NZ are already right up there in the Dark House category.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Bangladesh are almost certain of a place in the quarters . IMO , they are highly likely to beat the likes RSA & ENG in the group stages given they play 5 spinners in a match at recent times including part timers . Both ENG and especially RSA struggle when it comes to spin so there is a 95 % chance for Bangladesh to enter the QFs .

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
I think Bangladesh is seriously being over-rated here, Yes they did have a good series against New zealand, but then NZ team is not at their best, They have a chance to beat WI probably but its going to be very difficult for them, as much as their bowling is good and tight their batting is pretty brittle.

I think WI is the only team that looks like it can be knocked out early, other teams are pretty good and the format also ensures teams that are consistent go through.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
No, Bangladesh aren't being over rated. They have earned it by their performance. In front of home crowds, they will be more dangerous. Plus, they are high on confidence and Tigers can turn it on big time.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
BD is over rated cause of the simple fact that the Group is full of chokers.
In 2007, BD defeated India and South Africa. With the Windies and the English not in top form, many think that BD may even beat these two teams. Most of you have conveniently forgotten that BD has a habit of being incosistent and tends to lose against weaker opposition far too often. They won't make it past the group stage.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
BD is over rated cause of the simple fact that the Group is full of chokers.
In 2007, BD defeated India and South Africa. With the Windies and the English not in top form, many think that BD may even beat these two teams. Most of you have conveniently forgotten that BD has a habit of being incosistent and tends to lose against weaker opposition far too often. They won't make it past the group stage.
I'd have given it to you if this tournament wasn't held in sub continent. But, the players know the conditions pretty well and the batsmen like Tamim and Nafees can be pretty dangerous given they play to their potential. They have a solid middle order with Raqibul, Shakib, Ashraful (can prove to be a match winner). Also, their spin department is heavy and know how to choke run flow.

I agree I'm being a bit biased but, if the Bangladeshis play to their potential they can go the distance. Don't be surprised if they hit the ground running against India.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Which team isn't confident ? The fact remains that each team will be confident about its chances in the WC.

What is needed from them is an effort which they can sustain against some of the strongest opponents. India, SAF, Eng have all had tough series coming into the WC, its gonna take Bangladesh quite some miraculous performances to pull off convincing wins here.

Agreed that they managed a whitewash of the Kiwis, but that was a weak Kiwi side. Nothing against BD, but it does seem that they have been ridiculously over-rated for the Cup given that they play all their matches at home.

Let the practice games begin, then we'll come to know exactly what shape they are in.

P

pcfan123

I think Bangladesh winning it would be a sign that the Apocalypse is imminent.

2020 WC maybe, but not over 50 overs.

My pick for upset team to be kicked out early is NZ, they've been woeful this past year. Vettori has lost it, Taylor is nothing special (unless its domestic 2020), Kane Williamson turned out to be a dud (or at least not the Tendulkar he was touted to be), can't even name anyone else worth mentioning (especially in the bowling department). Jesse ryder is the only formidable threat right now but he wont be able to carry an entire team, despite his weight :p

If they don't get eliminated in the Group, they sure as hell won't make it to the semis this time, at least in my humble opinion :p

Users who are viewing this thread