Trademark Shots

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Brett Lee has done that somes times. Did it off the back of the bat at the Gabba. Man that was funny to watch

What about Ricky Ponting's hook shot? Probably one of the best in the game.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
evertonfan said:
Paul Collingwood's advance down the wicket chip over mid-on shot,
Vaughan's exaggerated cover drive,
Trescothick's 'no feet' straight drive,
Afridi's heave across the line.
If I was to use your argument, I could say that Michael Vaughan's cover drive shouldn't be included because it's just a cover drive. I think both Vaughan's cover drive and Ricky Ponting's on-drive should be in personally.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
skateboarder said:
If I was to use your argument, I could say that Michael Vaughan's cover drive shouldn't be included because it's just a cover drive. I think both Vaughan's cover drive and Ricky Ponting's on-drive should be in personally.

I included that before the "keep it more specific" argument arose so i'd take Vaughan's and Tresctohick's shots out of my post.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry to go slightly off topic; but unique shots for England and Australia batsman would have been perfect to enhance the Ashes experience in Cricket 07.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Unique bowling and batting actions are expected from a company from EA and Codemasters with access to motion capture...this will be my last off topic post on the subject but...

"Why don't companies who use motion capture just do absolutely loads of animations for shots, bowling actions and fielding?"

k_picky

School Cricketer
sorry to bring it up agen but Vaughan's back foot cover drive not many players in the pro game can play a backfoot cover drive specially as good as Michael Vaughan

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, from experience it is an extremely hard shot to get in the middle of the bat and get power behind against a slow bowler. Even harder than the backfoot straight drive, which is hard also.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
manee said:
Unique bowling and batting actions are expected from a company from EA and Codemasters with access to motion capture...this will be my last off topic post on the subject but...

"Why don't companies who use motion capture just do absolutely loads of animations for shots, bowling actions and fielding?"

Probably i would say one reason is time in the mocap studio is very precious i.e. very expensive...but still, probably the main reason is that animation files can get very large very quick with thousands of frames...this can make loading times for multiple models quite long...so could well be performance related...this is why i try to keep my animation files reasonable in length...

just my 2 cents...but yeah, probably a company like EA or Codies should in theory have heaps of unique animations...!

LM

The Blazer

Club Cricketer
skateboarder said:
Not everyone possesses Ricky Ponting's on-drive. His technique is totally unique to him. Nobody else does have a Flamingo shot though.
Pietersen's so called 'Flamingo shot' is a ripped off version of Afridi's strokeplay. Watch clips of the two batting- Some of their shots are remarkably similar. Afridi's been playing these kind of shots for 10 tens; I guess KP just came around and copied him! :p

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The Blazer said:
Pietersen's so called 'Flamingo shot' is a ripped off version of Afridi's strokeplay. Watch clips of the two batting- Some of their shots are remarkably similar. Afridi's been playing these kind of shots for 10 tens; I guess KP just came around and copied him! :p

Yes but Pietersen uses it sanely, rather than being an idiotic slogger.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
evertonfan said:
Yes but Pietersen uses it sanely, rather than being an idiotic slogger.
So you admit it's Afridi's creation then?
Therefore, it should be:
Afridi's flamingo
And KP can possess it too.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
If you want something unique about Ponting's on drive, the way he steps well across his stumps to play it, and he does this often far too early in the innings to do so.

It'd be cool to have that jump action Lara does before he hits the ball as well, absolutely horrible batting style technically, but according to his career average, it works.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
ZoraxDoom said:
So you admit it's Afridi's creation then?
Therefore, it should be:
Afridi's flamingo
And KP can possess it too.

No, I was just using yes as a conjuctive.

Afridi's 'flamingo' is nothing more than a heave across the line which I have already mentioned wheras KP's is a controlled shot down the ground.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Not really, they are very similar. Instead, Afridi attempts to hit it for six, KP tends to waste it by treating it like any other shot.

tassietiger said:
If you want something unique about Ponting's on drive, the way he steps well across his stumps to play it, and he does this often far too early in the innings to do so.

It'd be cool to have that jump action Lara does before he hits the ball as well, absolutely horrible batting style technically, but according to his career average, it works.
It's not horrible. Pleases the bookies.

Users who are viewing this thread