Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
My Ashes team, won't happen but it should be the team in India as well.

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Johnson (Very tempted to drop him though)
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Nah I reckon you can slip another NSW player in there somewhere :laugh Bring back Binga, screw Mitch. Ponting lives in NSW and then it's only Hilf holding up complete domination :D

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I doubt Khawaja and Smith will play. More than likely it'll just be North and Hussey because the Aussie selectors don't like much risk.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nah I reckon you can slip another NSW player in there somewhere Bring back Binga, screw Mitch. Ponting lives in NSW and then it's only Hilf holding up complete domination

:D Copeland well on his way too, so just need Starc or Hazelwood to stand up and the domination will be complete!

Owzat

International Coach
I doubt Khawaja and Smith will play. More than likely it'll just be North and Hussey because the Aussie selectors don't like much risk.

Can't see why you lot want to drop Hussey, averages 51 and in his last 10 Tests his cardinal sin is averaging just 44 :laugh

Wish our 'out of form' batsmen averaged 44

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hayden averaged 51 too, didn't stop him being dropped. And when you team is constantly collapsing including the worst collapse in 50 years (?), something has to change if we want to get the Ashes back.

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Hayden averaged 51 too, didn't stop him being dropped. And when you team is constantly collapsing including the worst collapse in 50 years (?), something has to change if we want to get the Ashes back.

North should be dropped and Cameron White should be included in Australian test squad if they are serious about winning Ashes. And are there any other good wicketkeeper batsman in Aus apart from Paine and Haddin?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Plenty. Matthew Wade of Victoria. Chris Hartley of Queensland being the other 2 obvious alternates.

Can't see why you lot want to drop Hussey, averages 51 and in his last 10 Tests his cardinal sin is averaging just 44 :laugh

Wish our 'out of form' batsmen averaged 44

Well it's a combination of recent scores, looking scratchy at the wicket and age in my view. He's been a bit lucky to stay because we've needed his experience in the squad. If he'd gone through a trot like this say 5-10 years ago when Australia ruled the world with plenty of experience and plenty of middle order options then he (and Marcus North) wouldn't be in the side.

Having said that, I think he should stay around for the Ashes. I'd rather see him coming to the wicket than North.

Robelinda

International Coach
White just doesnt have the technique to survive in test cricket, makes North look like Lara. White has been found wanting many occasions in one dayers with his poor technique over the past year, despite doing a good job overall.

Our collapses since the start of last years Ashes have been so worrying, something we just werent known for before. Too many times its happened, all the guys have good records and averages so I dont know what you put it down rto.

Robelinda

International Coach
Well yes, by quite some distance, based on his technique he has displayed so far in his one day career he looks technically better than any young player we've had since Ponting.

I'd have Katich or Watson move down, Hughes in. He needs the opportunities and we have to get a young guy up the top to see us through for the next 5 years +. I dont particularly want White or Ferguson in the test team, Usman looks the good though.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Agree with that. Usman and a short ball kosher Phil Hughes would be my selections for future. Ferguson perhaps but he needs to show he can fight and play long innings. White will probably get a shot too despite concerns about his technique, since he's a leader and a good slipper.

Robelinda

International Coach
Ferguson could use one killer season making some big scores, but I have a feeling he's thought of very highly. White hasn't done too much wrong though, but the selectors picked Usman ahead of him so they've shown their hand.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I hate the way you dis-regard county stats in some places, and then place them as the be-all and end all in others. This mostly applies to your post before this one but it really is annoying.

=/ Where have I done that in the post you quoted? I very rarely dis-regard County Stats, it's War that does that. They're never the be all and end all either, I prefer to take County stats into consideration, and then after that consider how good they look when I've seen them play. Saj Mahmood is a perfect example of that. If I based my entire arguments on County stats, then Mahmood would be in my Test and ODi XI's, as he's been taking wickets for Lancs, but I know, having watched him in County Cricket that he actually hasn't improved that much, and doesn't have the temperament for International cricket. He never bowls like he does for Lancs for England.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread