West Indies vs Sri Lanka 3 ODI series

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Firstly where did i "praise" Pollards performance vs South Africa?. Kindly read again.

Secondly the "New Pollard" is pretty obvious isn't it. It is all his performances from the 2009 Champions League to now. Its crazy to judge him on anything he did before that, since your selectors picked him too soon, that is obvious to world, how can you be so critical on him for failing between 2007-2009 when he obviously wasn't ready for international cricket?. He has basically was learning on the job then, because your domestic competition is so weak.

Doing that to player can cripple then. You did the same thing to Fidel Edwards. His case was even worse since he was picked basically after just bowling to Lara in the nets :lol. So he spent his first 4 years in international cricket learning on the job, until he finally started showing international quality potential in 2008.

Once you clear of the above statement of why Pollard cannot be judged performances for WI before the AUS ODI series, then your overxaggerated synopsis that he can be only be depended on to bat well once every 30 ODIs can be eased.

If the WI selectors thought Sammy batting regardless of recent form was better than Pollard. I would think they would have been batting Sammy ahead of Pollard in the current series vs SRI. But they haven't.

Yes of course form of Pollard & Bravo is worrying. But packing your batting & weakening your bowling (and already weakened bowling attack) is a classic example of digging a hole to get yourself out another hole. The only way i would support such a pack the batting strategy is if Taylor was fit & firing to support Roach with the new-ball, thus you would going back to same tactics "back the batting" of the 2003 WC cup.

Well clearly I am dealing with an expert here. You seem to be a expert on every player from every team in cricket.
Keep talking about the New Pollard. Take out the the 15 ODIs he played before the Australia series and he still sucks. One half century and a whole bunch of poor performances. Waiting for the New-er Pollard to show up one of these days.

Anyways great performance today by the New Pollard, same as last match.

And it is not packing the batting its picking the best team. And the best team includes Barath, Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Chanderpaul so if you feel like dropping one of those go ahead nobody else is that crazy.
Pollard doesn't bolster the batting or the bowling so what does he do for the team.

But other then that a quality waste of letters.

Once you clear of the above statement of why Pollard cannot be judged performances for WI before the AUS ODI series, then your overxaggerated synopsis that he can be only be depended on to bat well once every 30 ODIs can be eased.

Now that I have you to tell me why and when I can judge players and their performances I can go and make some ridiculous comments.
And like I said above, once in 30 exaggerated but once in 15 is not. Find someone else to talk to about WI performances. I'm no expert but if I know anything about any team its the WI.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Quite a few teams setting the pace in the lead up to the WC. SL looking really good once again, all the bowlers did a good job and Tharanga is one good anchor.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Sri Lanka will be a tough team to beat especially at home/subcontinent. Malinga has been in superb form and knows how to use these conditions.

I wish the first ODI didnt get washed out. Would have been a better test for Sri Lanka.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Agree the 1st ODI was about a par total. Wouldn't mind seeing SL chase a 300+ total, they have definitely shown they can do it but doing one close to the WC always helps.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
well more then sri lankan batting its bowling. if any team would overcome sri lankan they have to do well with sri lankan bowling attack. the biggest weakness of lanks will be their middle order.. samaraweera is not a hard hitter, and kapugedara or chamara silva have not being consistent only star at the middle is anjalo.. but all in all team looks very strong

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Sri Lanka looking good, the 2-1 victory in Australia was no fluke.
Australia are still number 1 btw (rightly or wrongly), so this makes Sri Lanka hard to beat.

I'm happy with Samaraweera in the middle order for Balance. There are enough hitters there, and I'd trust him to dig them out of trouble in a crisis more than the other guys.
ODIs are not all about sixes, there are still tough tracks around where a pure Batsman will do better than a slogger who can whop a quick 25.

Defending Under Pressure is a quality that few batsmen possess these days.

Combine that with someone who can also score at a decent rate without taking risks and you have a Batsman.

Sure, Kapugadera might be able to make a stodgy 20, but he won't look or be anywhere near as safe/tight while doing it, and can not be relied upon to do it often.

Kapugadera and Silva are your unreliable "sloggers", so they're ok, not as good as some, but they'll do for now.

Silva has a lot of talent, but seems to waste it by doing something stupid too soon, he needs to bat with a bit more patience.

Last edited:

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
true but still i don't think its 100% complete this team. well if you take 1996 lankan batting was 3 times stronger then what it is. i mean sana, kalu, gurusingha, de silva, arjua, hashan and roshan ... that is 7 complete batsman there. then came darmasena and vaas who can bat a bit too so thats was lankan batting dream team. ya bowling is lot better then in 1996.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
for me it's the most balanced team. it's not the best in any one department but it's the one without any major holes.

attacking opener, strong middle opener, good all-rounder, excellent wicket keeper that can bat, pace and spin options. their only real worry is someone plays a blinder against them, like shane watson or sehwag or something and takes the game away. tail could probably be a bit stronger but then their wicky and all-rounder are so good at batting you're not going to get that graduation of skill were the lower order is as vulnerable.

and malinga is probably a tad under-rated with the bat.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
My only worry with the batting is that Sangakkara and Jayawardena lack hitting power, so could take up too many balls.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
i dont think Sangakkara and Jayawardena lack hitting power. they dont normally go after bowling every day but when they turn it on they can. they are not slow batsman in any means

Users who are viewing this thread