Why aren't Floodlights used for Test Matches?

nikhil_99

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I guess they are planningto do so, next year in Eng,its Aus vs Eng, like ZMario said,PCB didnt like it,but they were certainly planning to do so...dont know any more updates on that issue,a good thread to know updates on Day/Night test....There are many problems to implement it,but they are trying to sort out the issues,dont know whether the expert will really agree on that..

Last edited:

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
There are many problems ,but its really a different idea to do so,dont know whether it will be really experimented or it will be canceled last moment,lets see...

Precambrian

International Cricketer
That simply isn't true.

People may not want to watch 5 days of cricket, but it is simply incorrect that they do not have the time. Does time flow faster in 2009 than it did 10, 15 or 20 years ago? Is the day only 20 hours long now? Does time flow a a different rate if you are 20 years old than if you are 40 years old? No it does not. People who don't really like Test cricket simply do not want to make time, if you like it you will make the time. Plain and simple fact here is that it doesn't really matter what you do to Test cricket, hold it at night, have topless women handing out free beer, if 5 days of cricket is not for you, it won't be for you if it's on at a slightly later time in the day.

As for a draw being confusing, thats rubbish too. Sure some tests are pretty even and don't look like they would yield a result if you kept playing past 5 days but anyone who understands cricket even a little bit can decide who they think had the upper hand throughout the twists and turns of the match, they don't need a scoreboard telling them.
It's simply because, my father used to put in on an average 8 hours of work per day. I currently pu in 12 hours per day. Extrapolate this across the increased population and increased work force and you'd get the idea.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
There are so many threads on this.

Floodlights are often turned on in Tests when skies darken; one reason why this may be perceived as unheard of is that few Test grounds actually have them. More importantly, they are no substitute for daylight and play will often become mitigated regardless.

Cricket can be played under lights, but the conditions used in limited overs cricket are quite different; in general, sports played under floodlights use a brightly coloured ball and it's often a very large one. In ODIs, the white ball is changed after 35 overs, a stark contrast from the 80 over change in Tests and while things such as evening dew have also proved a concern, it is the ball that remains the greatest impasse for day/night Tests.

As for the rules of the game, the fact is that Tests are a game of 20 wickets. The bulk of the patience and pressures of Tests are created by the players themselves and if a team opts not to use their wickets, it is still their own decision. If you are to introduce rules that makes that dynamic irrelevant, you might as well just play more ODIs.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I am not 100% sure where I stand on this.

I am half for test cricket should remain test cricket, keep it as original as possible, and the other half of me is to get the overs through however possible.

So, getting the best of both worlds, IMO we should only use lights when the light is deemed too dark to play in by the umpires, and if 90 overs haven't been bowled (obviously weather and perhaps other issues could alter this) the lights should be used for the remaining overs for the day.

Jack_Fourie

School Cricketer
Meh. If they played test cricket here, they'd have no problem in the summer. Six months of only light. But in the winter, six months of only darkness. If you can handle the cold that is. :D

Users who are viewing this thread