• Total voters

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
The 2019 WC is just a glorified Champions Trophy with two extra teams, let’s be honest.
Ok, I understand when people don't consider any edition of the event (ie Champions Trophy and U19).

But when you're only nullifying one WC then I feel you're crossing the line. Picking and choosing certain editions makes the argument way too subjective. I'm pretty sure 1992 had 8 teams btw.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There was a qualification pathway at least, it's not just a closed shop money-spinner (although they did their best to make it so).

The qualifiers were a farce that robbed Scotland as far as I remember.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The qualifiers were a farce that robbed Scotland as far as I remember.
They had a very dodgy decision go against them and then lost by DLS to the West Indies. Those lost 2 points would have been enough to see them qualify.

Scotland have also missed out on the chance to qualify for the Super League after it was scrapped.

Dhrumil.

Associate Captain
India
Team India never played as unit in ICC tournament. Always dependent on individual brilliance which happens in bilaterals only.

Bevab

Staff Member
Ok, I understand when people don't consider any edition of the event (ie Champions Trophy and U19).

But when you're only nullifying one WC then I feel you're crossing the line. Picking and choosing certain editions makes the argument way too subjective. I'm pretty sure 1992 had 8 teams btw.

Nah, ‘92 had nine teams, one more than every edition in the past (thanks South Africa!). You also had lesser teams that could have been competitive in the past, there wasn’t a Champions Trophy in that time period either (because the WC had only eight teams previously). It’s a disingenuous comparison all around.

And it would seem the ICC had agreed that having a single digit number of participants for a World Cup was silly as they raised it to twelve in the very next edition.
Post automatically merged:

They had a very dodgy decision go against them and then lost by DLS to the West Indies. Those lost 2 points would have been enough to see them qualify.

Scotland have also missed out on the chance to qualify for the Super League after it was scrapped.

Cricket shooting itself in it’s foot after claiming to globalise, what’s new?
Post automatically merged:

Team India never played as unit in ICC tournament. Always dependent on individual brilliance which happens in bilaterals only.

What on earth does playing as a unit mean in a sport like cricket? :p

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
They count about as much as Champions Trophies
Let's go with your logic:

Most ICC Tournaments Winner: Aus - 20

Most in Men's Cricket: Aus: 7, Ind: 3

Most in Women's Cricket: Aus: 13, Eng: 5

Still 12 more than England :')

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
And it would seem the ICC had agreed that having a single digit number of participants for a World Cup was silly as they raised it to twelve in the very next edition.

Believe it was on account of SA being added in at the last minute in 1992. This drew a lot of criticism from the ICC trophy runners-up.

Additionally, by 1996, all the participants of the previous edition were Full Members. Meaning they had to accommodate the Winner+R-Up of the ICC trophy. With 11 teams it would have made it difficult to categorize into 2 groups,hence the additional 12th team there

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
No worries guys. We would be bashing a relatively weaker team in a bilateral series soon and all this will be forgotten.

To be fair though, we did get a chance to dream of a win after being 170+ runs behind. So that's something. The collapse was as predictable as the occurrence of day after night.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Shubman Gill has been fined 15 percent of his match fee for criticising the TV umpire's decision in the World Test Championship final against Australia. India, meanwhile, have been fined their entire match fee for maintaining a slow over-rate while Australia have been docked 80% of fees for the same reason.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
IMG-20230612-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20230612-WA0037.jpg

So apparently not only the whole Indian not earn anything from the match quite literally, Gill will have to pay few bucks from his own pocket. Talk about rubbing salt on the wounds.

The fine serves right to both the teams though. The number of overs lost in the match due to poor over rate is appalling.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
View attachment 279699

View attachment 279699

So apparently not only the whole Indian not earn anything from the match quite literally, Gill will have to pay few bucks from his own pocket. Talk about rubbing salt on the wounds.

The fine serves right to both the teams though. The number of overs lost in the match due to poor over rate is appalling.

Has to be like this for all teams across the board now. The over rates have been beyond a joke for enough time.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Has to be like this for all teams across the board now. The over rates have been beyond a joke for enough time.

With the amount these teams make - fines are just a novelty and I doubt the players even care. Ideally should be a level of docking of points in the next iteration or for any team that has such a slow overrate.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
With the amount these teams make - fines are just a novelty and I doubt the players even care. Ideally should be a level of docking of points in the next iteration or for any team that has such a slow overrate.
I dunno. 100% fine, per match over a 3 or 5 match series will sharp add up

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I dunno. 100% fine, per match over a 3 or 5 match series will sharp add up
They should really be on the clock. Stop it when there's a legitimate reason - concussion checks. Any overs they are below incurs a run or points deduction.

One would assume they do something like that behind the scenes but paying fans deserve to know what's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread