Zimbabwe Team Discussion

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The last time that Zimbabwe played an ODI in England was in 2004; and the last bilateral series was in 2003. Theoretically England should play every other nation at home every five years if you assume two summer series; so the fact that they haven't toured in over 10 and there isn't anything scheduled in the short to medium term is ridiculous. Its the same for Australia as well; the last time they toured in a bilateral series was 2004.

I've also just realised that the staff team apparently has lots of Zimbabwe and Scotland fans; which I'm actually perfectly OK with ;)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've also just realised that the staff team apparently has lots of Zimbabwe and Scotland fans; which I'm actually perfectly OK with ;)
I'll again remind you that the staff selection criteria is confidential.

The last tours that Bangladesh had to Australia, they just got to play against us during the southern winter in Darwin and Cairns - they play what's essentially an Australia A side, and we still haven't had them over here since 2008.

At least England can blame having 1 month of summer each year - we can play cricket essentially all year round and still haven't managed to find the time to let Bangladesh and Zimbabwe play against us.

We know we're never going to send a top squad to play them, so it's not like there's the excuse of the players being too busy - especially not when there's been 12 years to find time.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
I'm not saying play a five test series against them, but a three test series May/June time followed by a triangular tournament with the main touring team and a few T20s would be quite nice every four/five years or so. The same should happen with Bangladesh and probably Ireland/Afghanistan in the future

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
They need more cricket but perhaps they need to play lesser sides more as well as just the bigger sides. Play in the better sides helps raise your level, but equally you need experience of winning and closing out games.
Indeed, but apart from Bangladesh and the occasional visit from Pakistan and South Africa, Zimbabwe play very little cricket. The likes of India, Australia and England won't invite ZIM over for a few games because...Money.

Just checked and apparently India are touring ZIM this year :)

I make Ireland favourites over Zimbabwe for the same reason I fancied them to beat West Indies: in a tight match Ireland know how to win and have done it regularly; Zimbabwe. & Windies much less so. Ireland would have won that game against Pakistan from the same position.
So if Zimbabwe were to beat Ireland would you class that as an upset?

The last time that Zimbabwe played an ODI in England was in 2004; and the last bilateral series was in 2003. Theoretically England should play every other nation at home every five years if you assume two summer series; so the fact that they haven't toured in over 10 and there isn't anything scheduled in the short to medium term is ridiculous. Its the same for Australia as well; the last time they toured in a bilateral series was 2004.
Yeah we're not scheduled to play England until 2018-19 season...providing we don't finish bottom of the test rankings.

Yep, myself and @swirler flying the flag high! :zim:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
There's something to be said for the competitiveness in the associate cricket program, it's only getting better... Zimbabwe could do well with booking a few tours with Afghanistan and Ireland.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Zimbabwe could do well with booking a few tours with Afghanistan and Ireland.
Yes I am all for that but once again it all boils down to finances.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Favourites from here... 128 off 14 with 6 wickets should be straightforward. Shame for Ireland :(

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Favourites from here... 128 off 14 with 6 wickets should be straightforward. Shame for Ireland :(
Recovered in the end. 5 run win should be termed as high scoring classy!

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
An interesting story developing here: BBC Sport - Nottinghamshire sign Zimbabwe skipper Brendan Taylor

Not sure if it's a Kolpak deal or just a temporary contract, time will tell, it will be a huge loss for Zimbabwe cricket but boy i've been wanting to watch BT play over here and now I might just get my chance!

EDIT: That BBC article has just been updated...

Nottinghamshire have signed Zimbabwe Test captain Brendan Taylor as a Kolpak player, subject to approval from the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The agreement means Taylor will be retiring from international cricket at the end of the current World Cup being held in Australia and New Zealand.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Yeah it's not good for Zimbabwe, he's pretty much irreplaceable. But it gets worse, there are apparently other 'core members' of the team who could soon follow suit.

Users who are viewing this thread