It's just not cricket

Well Didn't the Sri Lankan Board Cancel the Series with England so their players could take part in the IPL?

Yes, but the England tour was scheduled only after they signed for the IPL. They weren't meant to go there to start with.

Yes, but the England tour was scheduled only after they signed for the IPL. They weren't meant to go there to start with.
It shouldn't have mattered, the players should have pulled out of the IPL to go on tour.

It shouldn't have mattered, the players should have pulled out of the IPL to go on tour.
No, they shouldn't. They had planned to play in the IPL, signed the contracts, made their plans, and suddenly they're supposed to go to England?

They made a prior commitment. Had the tour been planned first then the IPL, then the should have gone on the tour. The other way around is just plain unfair on them.

No, they shouldn't. They had planned to play in the IPL, signed the contracts, made their plans, and suddenly they're supposed to go to England?

They made a prior commitment. Had the tour been planned first then the IPL, then the should have gone on the tour. The other way around is just plain unfair on them.
In football, players are obliged to play for their country despite what might be in the best interests of their domestic teams. The same should have applied here. Sri Lanka should have signed contracts with the IPL saying that they would play in it, but only if it did not conflict with the international calendar. As soon as the England tour was announced, that's it, IPL is second best.

The thing that annoys me with people who say it's taking players from international cricket, is that a good nation should have around 25 players to choose from for strength in depth. If you can't cope with one or two players putting the IPL ahead of international duties, you won't be good when the injuries come in.

It's been bought by ESPN for a while. That doesn't really prove anything, though. I mean Rupert Murdoch owns Star TV, which owns Star Cricket, which is a 24-hour Indian cricket channel. Does that make Star Cricket Australian? I don't think so.

Mmm, but someone said it was American, some one disputed that and I just contributed by saying it is now owned by ESPN.

But technically it does make it Australian, even if Australians have nothing to do with the running of it.

No, Lalit Modi made it clear that Internationals were more important than the IPL. That's all there is to it.

The thing that annoys me with people who say it's taking players from international cricket, is that a good nation should have around 25 players to choose from for strength in depth. If you can't cope with one or two players putting the IPL ahead of international duties, you won't be good when the injuries come in.

Any country has the right to be pissed off if one of their players, especially if it's one of their better players, ditches them to go play in some Indian domestic twenty20 comp.

Any country has the right to be pissed off if one of their players, especially if it's one of their better players, ditches them to go play in some Indian domestic twenty20 comp.
But the point I'm trying to make is, if the nation is that good then one player shouldn't matter. If a player gets injured how will they cope with that?

But the point I'm trying to make is, if the nation is that good then one player shouldn't matter. If a player gets injured how will they cope with that?
It's the whole point of the best players in a country selling themselves out to the Indian league and making themselves unavailable for their country. It shouldn't happen. The IPL is a parasite.

It's the whole point of the best players in a country selling themselves out to the Indian league and making themselves unavailable for their country. It shouldn't happen. The IPL is a parasite.
Well the national boards should pay the players more.

It's not as simple as that. The WICB haven't got two pennies to rub together. Probably the only board that could afford to pay their players like the IPL does is India's own BCCI.

Yea they should, why hasn't anyone thought of this already :sarcasm

Only Bravo missed games and no one else has.

And he was unfit for Test matches and was not picked by WICB. Bravo playing for the wrong Indians | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Any more.

Did you even read this?

I remember reading this and bringing it up when it happened, most people thought that he only played in the IPL because he hadn't been payed for quite a while. If there was no IPL he would of been in England, he would've made the team as a batsmen alone.

In football, players are obliged to play for their country despite what might be in the best interests of their domestic teams. The same should have applied here. Sri Lanka should have signed contracts with the IPL saying that they would play in it, but only if it did not conflict with the international calendar. As soon as the England tour was announced, that's it, IPL is second best.

In football their are special windows created for international matches. If you schedule a game outside of these windows players and clubs have the right to refuse to go.

The sri lanka cricket board knew their players had prior commitments before agreeing to englands request. They should not have agreed to that knowing it would upset their players.

Users who are viewing this thread