It's just not cricket

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's not as simple as that. The WICB haven't got two pennies to rub together. Probably the only board that could afford to pay their players like the IPL does is India's own BCCI.

If you are X company and if you cant pay a prospective employee what he is offered by Y company, you back off and keep quiet instead of trying to bring down that Y company and calling them 'parasites' and all nonsense.

saisrini80 added 2 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

In football, players are obliged to play for their country despite what might be in the best interests of their domestic teams. The same should have applied here. Sri Lanka should have signed contracts with the IPL saying that they would play in it, but only if it did not conflict with the international calendar. As soon as the England tour was announced, that's it, IPL is second best.

Why so? I agree with Zorax. After they have made up their minds about playing in the IPL and they have thought about the financial security it gives, someone brings up an international series and expects the players to take part in it (thereby spoiling their chances)? There is no law for players to give preference to one form of cricket (their contracts with boards does not seem to have it on papers) and so the players are not wrong in playing the IPL instead of that so-called international series.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Did you even read this?

I remember reading this and bringing it up when it happened, most people thought that he only played in the IPL because he hadn't been payed for quite a while. If there was no IPL he would of been in England, he would've made the team as a batsmen alone.

Sorry my English is poor. Can you post the part from the article which says the bolded part.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Still doesn't answer my question.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He 'could' have played as a batsman, but he wasn't picked to do so. Bravo didn't choose the IPL over Windies selection, as he wasn't in the squad in the first place.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Only watch it to see Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne. But it's not something I'd stay up for. I'd just record it.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Still doesn't answer my question.

It does.

But it doesn't take a moron to read between the lines.

The WICB's medical panel has advised that Dwayne Bravo is unavailable for the Test series as he is still recovering after ankle surgery," was the terse postscript to the announcement of the squad of 17

But had Bravo not returned to the West Indies team on March 15, six months after his operation, to play in the Twenty20 and all five ODIs in the home series against England?

Certainly there was not the slightest indication on the field that he was "still recovering". He bowled his 38.3 overs and celebrated his nine wickets as energetically as ever ('you have to run and try and catch him when he gets a wicket', Chris Gayle noted), stroked ten fours and two sixes in his five innings and cavorted around the field like soca singer Machel Montano on stage, not someone worrying about whether his ankle could cope with all his energy

In the interim, another unfortunate factor entered the equation. Bravo claimed in his caribbeancricket.com interview that, while the WICB "looked after me in terms of putting things in place for my surgery to be done", he had received nothing in insurance from the WICB during the eight months he was sidelined.

Yet it might just explain why the WICB is at pains to be seen as so overcautious in protecting Bravo from aggravation of an injury that has already caused aggravation of another kind between it and the player and the WIPA.

So he was fit enough to play in the ODI's that were only spaced 12 days apart but test cricket would injury him?

Even Tony Cozier is hinting that there is something more, but it's not like he can come out and say it. And for the record Bravo's played for the WI before when he hasn't been able to bowl, he could/should of played as a batsmen. And like I said if there was no IPL he would of been over there during the tests.

shubhrayu

International Coach
It's a waste of time.
Only the Indians like it.
It's a money grabbing scheme.
It only causes injuries.
It's not entertainment.

All False Statements made by a 13 or 14 year old Australian boy

Well tomorrow if you're given a contract from some IPL franchisee will you ignore it?I want an honest reply...
Hmm,...you call it a money grabbing scheme but many of your Australian Cricketers prefer it and even appreciate.I guess Shane Warne appreciated it recently and he's got a much better Cricketing mind than yours.
Only causes injuries!This is a very immature comment...I think you should've thought a hundred times before saying this..
You say only the Indians like it!Strange we've got audiences from the Carribean and South Africa.Do only Aussies and English rule World Cricket?
It's not entertainment....Well you're one piece from the millions who do not enjoy this,so comments for you mate.I'll say grow up

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
So he was fit enough to play in the ODI's that were only spaced 12 days apart but test cricket would injury him?

Even Tony Cozier is hinting that there is something more, but it's not like he can come out and say it. And for the record Bravo's played for the WI before when he hasn't been able to bowl, he could/should of played as a batsmen. And like I said if there was no IPL he would of been over there during the tests.

:laugh

WICB rejected his case due to Doctor's report. What has IPL to do with that? Even if there was no IPL he would have not been selected.

And don't take digs at me. Choose your words wisely.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
:laugh

WICB rejected his case due to Doctor's report. What has IPL to do with that? Even if there was no IPL he would have not been selected.

And don't take digs at me. Choose your words wisely.

It wasn't directed at you btw.

So he's fit enough to fully play in ODI's, he played 5 games in 12 days. But he isn't fit enough for test cricket a month later, during that time he was playing in the IPL with no signs of injury?

Last edited:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Quoting me and saying it wast directed at me. :sarcasm

I quoted you by saying "it does'.

If I wanted to insult you I would of just said you were a moron for not being able to read between the lines.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
So he's fit enough to fully play in ODI's, he played 5 games in 12 days. But he isn't fit enough for test cricket a month later, during that time he was playing in the IPL with no signs of injury?

Players have played in 20-20 like that. Lasith Malinga. Unfit for Test but has played T20 world cup. So many players have played ODIs but not been proffered for Test due to fitness issues.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Players have played in 20-20 like that. Lasith Malinga. Unfit for Test but has played T20 world cup. So many players have played ODIs but not been proffered for Test due to fitness issues.

So how many batsmen have been fit to play ODI's and 20/20's but not test cricket?

Bravo would make the team as a batsmen alone.

Users who are viewing this thread