Zulqy found in UK, announces retirement

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Zulqarnain Haider said:
If I had told the PCB or players, it would've gotten out and then who knows? I don't feel it would've been better to tell anyone or authorities there. If I had told any of the other players, it might have put them in trouble also."

http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/486162.html

I think this attests to the fact that the rot has run far too deep in the PCB for a cricketer to maintain an honest profile there. I feel for anyone who is unfortunate enough to be a part of such a corrupt administration.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Its a bit naive Ollie to think that the ICC can in anyway deal with these criminal syndicates.

When did I say that it had to be the ICC to deal with the criminal bookmakers? As you rightly put it they are 'criminals', which means they can tried against judicial law systems.

If the ICC can find occurrences, they can report them and the government or anti-corruption units can deal with these bookies whilst the ICC deals with the cricketers accepting these offers.

I think it's highly naive that we place the whole blame on Pakistan Cricket, yes there might be corruption, but they aren't the stem of it.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
You suggested that we go after the core not the players but its nigh on impossible for anyone to go after these people mainly because those who do bet do it via illegal means.

Illegal bookmakers are at the very bottom of Pakistan's current list of problems. Probably likewise for India albeit to a lesser extent.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
No, the bookmakers are going to the Pakistanis not the other way round. If you want to stop it to the core, you have to get to the bookmakers not the players. Banning Pakistan from cricket will only work to an extent. Just because the only evidence we have is of Pakistan, doesn't mean they are the only people doing it.

Every report I have read recently has been about bookies 'approaching' them, rather than them going out and looking for match fixing scandal.

I wasn't suggesting we go solely after the core, I was trying to say that it is not just the Pakistan cricketers that are a problem. At the moment everyone is shifting the blame onto them when clearly the problems lie a lot deeper into society. Yes you can ban Pakistan cricket, and make them put in anti-corruption methods back into their system, but they will come back to International cricket and they will find a way to get through it.

Most of the posts here also insinuate that it is the Pakistan players going out looking for people to pay them to fix matches, when it is the opposite that bookies are looking for them.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Akmal brothers are behind this. They did this so they could get rid of him and get their whole family in the team.

Why is it that, every time that beardy beast comes into the team, ████ like this happens? And how come the captain hasn't said anything? I bet he is just sitting there going "who? gone who?"

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I told this y'day itself, the PCB seems to be corrupted. This poor guy is afraid to go to the PCB because the information could leak to the criminals and his whereabouts could be disclosed too. I dont think this guy is enacting any drama. He is being genuine. Which cricketer would give up his career as an international cricketer and seek protection like this, if he is acting? Like his stand to not accept bribes and not give up the already ruined reputation of his country.

Pakistan need to be banned from cricket for sometime, and a major overhaul has to happen if they are to resume playing.

P

pcfan123

The bookies have approached just about every team. Everyone from Watson to SHakid al Hasan. Only the Pakistanis seem to take the money though

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Interesting thoughts from LL:

It's interesting though, there's gotta be something weird.
I mean, even Cronje died after he testified.

I remember a bookie testifying and getting killed after that.

Then, Woolmer, apparently a murder, but case ends abruptly.

These guys have some serious contacts if they've managed to sweep everything under the rug for years.

Food for thought.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
The bookies have approached just about every team. Everyone from Watson to SHakid al Hasan. Only the Pakistanis seem to take the money though

Exactly. They are the only ones who actually take the money. All teams and players get approached. They are cheats and should be dealt with as such.

I applaud Zulqarnain for taking a stand against the bookies but perhaps he should have thought this through a little more thoroughly and informed the ACSU officials. However, ignoring the fact that he is a cricketer, he did what any common man would do and did what he thought was in the best interests of his family.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
I think we should not jump to conclusions while the news is still developing. The Pakistani players and PCB does not know how to handle the media. They keep saying one thing and then contradicting it the next.

The problem is that the Pakistani government cannot provide protection. When the Sri Lankan team can be attacked, how hard it is to attack a family of the cricketer. It is very hard to form a capable opinion while not going through the same ourselves. So we should just stand aside for a while, and let things take their course until we start giving our own judgement.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Haider confirms seeking asylum in the UK - The Times of India

Obviously the validity of the link can be called in to question before anyone bites my head of because its the Times of India. Found a much better source. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12343_6496248,00.html

If the aforementioned has taken place I wish him all the luck in the world in being able to get asylum here as it looks very likely from what I can see that he will be at risk back in Pakistan from the criminal underworld. I hope that he tells the ICC everything he knows in relation to other people within the organisation should there still be some dodgyness there.

I wonder if he'll carry on playing cricket within England for a county as he definitely looks good enough to play at that level. In 5 years time he could be playing for England :spy

Last edited:

relentless_rock

Club Cricketer
Do the domestic cricketers in Pakistan get paid decent enough salaries??
We all know and infact praise how selections in Pakistan cricket have brought some of the best young talent on world stage, but may be the change is just too much to handle for a youngster especially with not many highly respected seniors around in the team.

I feel for a subcontinental International player to get into fixing matches should be twice as more difficult because of the already huge sums they receive and the celebrity status that keeps every action of theirs in the news.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I have a theory regarding this fiasco. After the Sydney Test, I have no doubt in my mind that Kamran Akmal is infact the ring leader of the fixer in our team. It might be a clique of three four guys who try and attract potential members. New comers to the team are most vulnerable. Also Akmals wanted their brother to be a part of the team so that their clique can be stronger in numbers. Once Adnan Akmal is keeping wickets, I think Kamran will be put into the team as a batsman. Lets admit he is a better batsman than Farhat and Nazir combined :facepalm. All of this is definitely going on with support of top PCB Officials. Pakistan need to set up a commission of three to five member all of whom are indisputable repute. All of this needs to be looked into thoroughly if our cricket is to survive any more tremors.

King Cricket

International Coach
We should think along the line of legalizing betting in India, or something similar, as a palliative measure against the threat bookies pose for Pakistan and cricket as a whole. I remember someone (probably sifter) suggesting this in one of the CD threads a few days back. That way, authorities can keep an eye on bookmaking patterns and take immediate action in case they sniff something fishy. I was initially averse to decriminalizing betting, but on second thoughts, it's not quite a bad idea considering the fact that it if implemented has the potential to infuse some transparency into these kind of dubious stuff.

Mark said:

Yep. Although I agree that the bookies do emanate from the sub-continent, you won't see Indian, Bangladeshi or Sri Lankan players accepting money from bookies and indulging in match-fixing. The issue is only with cricketers of one particular cricket board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread