West Indian Tour of Sri Lanka, November-December 2010/11

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think you want extra pace if you can get your hands on it. Australia had their problems in India, but at least they could bounce Sehwag out.

I guess you could have a side with two bustling seamers and two misery spinners, but the West Indies are probably not so confident in their tearaway quicks. Plus, their medium pacers are the more established players in the team, so the extra fast bowler comes at the expense of the spinner.

But I don't think the extra spinner would necessarily do anything other than help keep an end tight. We just don't see enough pitches that offer more than that. Tests seem to be dominated by this generic breed of slow, flat, generally awful pitch. They offer little for seamers by definition, but they also don't break up and they don't bat much worse on day 5 than on day 1.

The West Indies had been using Benn and Shillingford against South Africa. While they did no discredit to themselves, the attack just seemed to be a bit lethargic to be built around them. Massively so, compared to Steyn and Morkel. Here, I think the Windies may have a better bowling strategy than Sri Lanka, even if they fail to execute it well.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Gayle 45 runs away from joining elite company in having two triple centuries and would give WI two players that have achieved this feat. It's early days atm but it looks like test cricket is becoming relatively even if WI can come away with a draw or even a win from here on SL soil.

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
LOL Gayle was out off a no ball on 287 :lol Seems to be happening quite often nowadays. He should use this opportunity to score 400 :)

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
That was pretty funny. I just saw the replay of it. What a luck for Gayle.

He is pretty close of breaking the highest away record scored by a West Indian.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Gayle just got his triple century. It's probably easy batting on that pitch, but still you've got to score those runs.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Just as well Gayle isn't captain anymore. No doubt he'd go after Lara's record, probably bat 5 days if he could. Will Sammy have the balls to call 'em in while Gayle's still not out though.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Whats the damn pitch like and where is Murali? Great knock by Gayle. He can destroy any bowling attack on his day :clap. I wonder if he can break Lara's record

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Muralitharan retired from Test matches. I am actually going to watch this just to see whether he will break the record.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Its still day 2 and enough time left in game to force result for WI. Come on Gayle go for 400

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I have unmasked the secret of scoring multiple Test Match triple centuries...
It is...The Bandana.
Gayle...bandana.
Sehwag...bandana.
See, it is really quite obvious, put one of those on and you can bat like Zorro, Superman, and Chuck Norris, all rolled into one.
Granted, it doesn't do much for Mohammad Hafeez, but...
Bandana = God

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
I dunno which series is going to be more one sided, this one or the india v new zealand series.

that's the only thing worth taking bets on, both will be 3-0.

worst prediction ever... :p

Gayle should get there, if the nerves of the World Record dont get to him first. Or if he runs out of partners, which is the likely case.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Muralitharan retired from Test matches. I am actually going to watch this just to see whether he will break the record.

You know what, I actually forgot he retired :yes. Not my fault, I don't remember many Sri Lankans tests without him.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Just as well Gayle isn't captain anymore. No doubt he'd go after Lara's record, probably bat 5 days if he could. Will Sammy have the balls to call 'em in while Gayle's still not out though.
It was a terribly uninspiring performance by the rest of the team, so there would have been ample justification in letting him bat to 400, if he could do so quickly.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
WI completely on top atm. Gayle played really well :clap but I'm now more interested in how Sammy can now use his bowling attack to get 19 more wickets. Gayle's put him in a great position to win his 1st match as captain.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Damn wish they had gotten Mahela out before the day ended. It will be tough with just one spinner in the team, I really feel that they should have played Benn.

Users who are viewing this thread