Really giving up with batting?!!

ellgieff

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The career mode is currently an exercise in joy and frustration at the same time.

Sounds like a reasonable simulation of cricket, to me ;)

On the topic of non-striker runouts, this hasn't happened to me since I stopped hitting O to get back in the crease whenever it's hit to a close-ish fielder.

My guy gets himself back in without any assistance, most of the time.

It looks a lot to me like there's a reaction time added for any change in the running call to take effect (so calling yes, the batsmen don't take off immediately - similarly changing the call doesn't take effect straight away) and that sometimes more than one command gets "mixed up"

That is, hitting O straight away looks like it might get stuck with some other thing that's going on (maybe the AI recognising that a close fielder has the ball, no run is happening and it needs to get the non-striker back in his crease). There may be a "do nothing" animation that needs to complete its run before the return to crease can take effect?

I think a similar thing is going on with the run-outs that occur taking an easy single, where the non-striker starts ambling in and turning around before he's actually in the crease (and hitting R2 doesn't make him slide his bat).

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
The cause of the stranded non striker I believe is when he gets caught doing the avoid ball animation. The only time I've suffered from the non striker being caught outside of his crease without swift return was when I notice my player was ducking from the ball the batsman had hit in his direction, however the bowler had got in the way and stopped it before it got to me. My player half turned in the animation, then had to run an animation to face the crease before moving back. Fortunately he did get back in with a split second to spare, but it clearly identified the issue.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Sounds like a reasonable simulation of cricket, to me ;)

On the topic of non-striker runouts, this hasn't happened to me since I stopped hitting O to get back in the crease whenever it's hit to a close-ish fielder.

My problem is - these runouts are done so quickly that:

1. I don't have a chance to press cancel (I never called for the run in the first place); or
2. I do press cancel to try and get the batsman back within the crease but it doesn't happen.

This is due to two issues:

1. by default, the non-striker is pushed 2 feet out of the crease at the time of bowling;
2. on cancelling, the batsman does NOT put their bat down....the happily do a 180 and trot back to the crease.

its how BA have done the animation or whatever. From that far out, holding R2 will have no effect.

Solution(s):

1. keep the batsman within the crease - not 2 feet outside the crease;
2. make the batsman ground their bat AT ALL TIMES. Grounding happens automatically when no run occurs or when you're further away from the crease and you hit R2. However, when you are close to the crease and/or cancel a run, hitting R2 will NOT work.

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Solution(s):

1. keep the batsman within the crease - not 2 feet outside the crease;
2. make the batsman ground their bat AT ALL TIMES. Grounding happens automatically when no run occurs or when you're further away from the crease and you hit R2. However, when you are close to the crease and/or cancel a run, hitting R2 will NOT work.
I much prefer option 2. I really like the fact that the non striker backs up. It's something minor that I've always wanted (properly) in cricket games.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
I much prefer option 2. I really like the fact that the non striker backs up. It's something minor that I've always wanted (properly) in cricket games.

True...same here. But how often do you see runouts at the non-strikers end because the bowler fielded the ball and threw it down...all whilst the non-striker stood there and stared or didn't bother to ground their bat. Trust me, when you're on 49 and this happens (which you have no control over), this is when frustration builds. When it happens again and again.......

*edit*

watch this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2RUMKdVQA The FIRST run out is probably one of the ONLY times this should happen..however, look how far down the pitch the non-striker is. you should NOT be bowled out in this scenario when you're two feet out of your crease.

Just on that...has there been any mention of the actual date of Patch #2 ? DB14 was released on 4 April I think....two months for PC release = 4 June which is only about 2 weeks away.

Last edited:

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
When it happens again and again.......

Next time it happens, check the replay and see if your batsman appeared to do a animation like he was avoiding the ball, as I said before, the only time my player (the non striker) has ever not returned cleanly to the crease was due to this animation playing out when I was trying.

Also note, about 80% of the time when I call the non striker back to his crease rather than waiting out for him to do it himself (which I do if the ball goes through to the keeper most times), he will lunge and ground the bat, very rarely will he waddle back there. Not sure why you don't experience this.
watch this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2RUMKdVQA The FIRST run out is probably one of the ONLY times this should happen..however, look how far down the pitch the non-striker is. you should NOT be bowled out in this scenario when you're two feet out of your crease.

Funny thing is, I almost did this last night. Saw my the AI batsman wind up to wallop the ball over gully but he missed, I went for the run early and when I realised he didn't hit it had to quickly cancel. Fortunately he had not moved as he was playing the backfoot swing animation that takes a bit of time to run through before he can move, but I was stranded for a moment.

Just on that...has there been any mention of the actual date of Patch #2 ? DB14 was released on 4 April I think....two months for PC release = 4 June which is only about 2 weeks away.

Ross has indicated -

PC Release the week of the 4th April on whatever day is most suitable. I read this to mean anywhere probably between the 2nd and the 11th.

Patch No. 2 to be released before or at the same time as the PC release, if it's before it won't very far before though.

Jadel

Club Captain
My problem is - these runouts are done so quickly that:

1. I don't have a chance to press cancel (I never called for the run in the first place); or
2. I do press cancel to try and get the batsman back within the crease but it doesn't happen.

Im not sure how you are still getting run out like this. Its super easy to avoid. I havent had one of those since the patch. I had this same conversation with you a month ago. You are like Bart Simpson trying to grab the electrified cupcake.

Stop grabbing it!

Thats not to say there arent some weird things happening. The stumpings that happen are often crazy and there is certainly something wrong with the action initiated when you cancel a run when backing up.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Im not sure how you are still getting run out like this. Its super easy to avoid. I havent had one of those since the patch. I had this same conversation with you a month ago. You are like Bart Simpson trying to grab the electrified cupcake.

Stop grabbing it!

I don't know if you guys understand what I'm saying. These runouts are occurring when I have NOT selected a run. Let me restate the scenario:

1. I am non-striker
2. As bowler runs up, my player automatically takes 2 steps out of the crease and stops
2. AI bowler (pace) bowls at AI team mate who is batting
3. AI team mate drives the ball straight back to the bowler
4. Bowler catches the ball
5. Bowler turns around quickly and throws ball at stumps (non strikers' end)
6. At this point:

A. I've done nothing because its happened so fast = runout; or
B. I've seen the bowler field it and hit "B" and "R2" (automatic) ie. cancel run and slide bat. However, my player stutters, turns and doesn't run back until the bails are off OR turns around and trotts back and doesn't slide the bat = runout.

At no time did I call for a run. This has happened 3 times so far (one each for the above scenarios ie. A, B1 and B2) - the next time it does, I will try to remember to take a vid of it. From the above, you tell me what I might have done wrong.

madman981

Club Captain
the above situation where the ball is hit back to the bowler and he throws down the stumps happens countless times a night to me, but rarely ends in a run out

the difference between me and you pharoah is for some reason:

I PRESS CANCEL RUN AND MY PLAYER TURNS AROUND AND GETS BACK IN HIS CREASE BEFORE THE BAILS ARE OFF!!!

Maybe its your reflexes....

But as Ive said, i know exactly what your talking about, i have been run out due to the animation of trying to avoid the bowlers throw before, maybe twice, but in the 390 odd career games ive played, it doesnt happen to me that often, definetly not 3 times in 1 night!

Last edited:

Jadel

Club Captain
@The_Pharoah

I know exactly what you are talking about. Even if it were a bit unclear you have posted about it so many times I would have to get the message by now.

I already told you what you did wrong. Stop pressing cancel run when you didnt call for a run.

If you have ever been run out at the non strikers end when you didnt press cancel run then I would be surprised. I have never once seen a fielder throw down the stumps unless you press cancel. They only do that in reaction to your input. Conversely they do it 100% of the time when you press cancel.

Like I said to you a month ago, its bugged, its on the fix list, but its easy to avoid so just stop doing it.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I already told you what you did wrong. Stop pressing cancel run when you didnt call for a run.

If you have ever been run out at the non strikers end when you didnt press cancel run then I would be surprised. I have never once seen a fielder throw down the stumps unless you press cancel. They only do that in reaction to your input. Conversely they do it 100% of the time when you press Cancel

that has 100% been my experience also

Never been run out at non striker end if didn't initiate run or press Cancel-not once ?

kulch

Club Captain
i dont mind the non striker runouts now - u can prevent them by pressing cancel as soon as the ball is hit
basically its done to ensure your focused on the game, and not putting down the controller and taking a piss just because your not on strike. this game will get u dismissed if you get lazy. the non-striker is not immune to getting out and shouldnt be.

----------

Never been run out at non striker end if didn't initiate run or press Cancel-not once ?

I have more than once been run-out pressing nothing. and more than once gone to the kitchen thinking i am safe and come back and found i am out. there are certain times the AI batter will bang one back at the bowler whom receives the ball next to the stumps, and because u are out of crease naturally from the non striker animation during the delivery, the bowler whips them off

pressing cancel run as soon as the batsment hits ball removes the above scenario

----------

in my observations, when u cancel a run and u are out of the crease the AI automatically pings it back. the AI is programmed to hit/throw @ the stumps whenever u are out of the crease and press run or cancel run. no matter where the ball is on the field. so i could cancel a run and step back in my crease at the same time deep long on picks up the ball, and he will try and get me out, even thought i had 30cm to get back and he had to throw it 50m

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@The_Pharoah

If you have ever been run out at the non strikers end when you didnt press cancel run then I would be surprised. I have never once seen a fielder throw down the stumps unless you press cancel. They only do that in reaction to your input. Conversely they do it 100% of the time when you press cancel.

It does happen. I've been out a few times as a non-striker despite not trying to take a run or pressing O to get back into the crease. This usually happens when AI plays a shot and the ball is fielded by a fielder close to the pitch - short cover or short mid wicket - and they shy at the non-striker stumps. It happens so fast that I don't press anything and I'm run out. The bowler doing it against me has only happened once for me but these random run-outs and stumpings when I haven't called for a run or haven't pressed O to return to the crease or haven't even played an "advance down the wicket" shot (in case of stumpings) constitute around 5% of my dismissals, i.e. 1 in 20. They occur rarely but they do happen.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
will have to keep my eye out for this then

and has been mentioned, every time you press cancel when running, the AI will always take the bails off (from my experience anyway), even if you were safely behind the crease

Users who are viewing this thread