Review: First Impressions of DB14 on PC

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One more thing i would really like, now the patches and release stuff is out the way, is some proper guidance on how to skill and attribute the created problems. Maybe this is still causing some issues re edging, tail-enders batting etc. if @Ross could coincide that with the explanation of how the bowling system works, that would be aces.

Spot on. Player attributes might have big effect on edging etc so be great to know :thumbs

In terms of affecting swing, it shouldn't at all. Clouds = swing is the biggest myth in cricket.
Possibly but just want to know from gameplay point of view if it has an impact

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Zim i tested something interesting yesterday, i lowed all the batting stats and bowling stats to nothing and the results were mixed.

Batting for the AI was still hard to get wickets on pro, i bowled 25 overs in a test match and the AI scored 1/91. The wicket was a edge to keeper and i had 2 edges fall short.

For bowling the AI was easier to play and bowled more bad balls. Still what a game and thanks Bigant.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Continued with testing the AI stats at zero for batting and bowling, 2/158(overs 54) with just 3 edges with on being out and the other wicket a mid on as normal.

My view still is the AI will bat the same if they are high up in the batting order or anywhere in the order. Please others check this as Ross never trusts me as i am a clown but i am not making this up.

ethybubs

International Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In terms of affecting swing, it shouldn't at all. Clouds = swing is the biggest myth in cricket.

I can't tell you why, but when I play in overcast conditions the ball does swing more, this is not a set up for an argument, or an attack, or an opinion, I'm just telling you very calmly and very definitively that you are wrong.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
I can't tell you why, but when I play in overcast conditions the ball does swing more, this is not a set up for an argument, or an attack, or an opinion, I'm just telling you very calmly and very definitively that you are wrong.

I'm sure there's been studies done on this and everything and there is no significant difference. Cricket swing is still one of these things that no one can really explain and air conditions probably affect it; but its much more complex than clouds=swing.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Have to say loving the game!!

My only grumble as others have said is the lack of edges. They are def there but very few and far between!

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've managed a lot more edges online. Though had the keeper taking one at third slip...

I think basically, edges are in the game and right, but the AI doesn't fall for the same tricks that a human opponent does.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
I've managed a lot more edges online.

This. Go play Matt online if you're not getting edges, because he's a very good bowler... Edge-wise I seem to edge plenty when I'm batting, moreso on PC than on PS3 but I get a few when I'm bowling spin. I think it's about right, to be honest. I wouldn't want to see anymore, because it's all about balance and it would be incredibly frustrating to be edging 1 in 3 or whatever... it's about playability vs. reality for me.

Alberts

International Coach
Leave of the century right here:

HfR8AlK.jpg

ugtAGlJ.jpg

Alberts

International Coach
At a rough estimate that's maybe 2mm from the off stump by the way.

suryasap

School Cricketer
Having played the game for a while....i will say edges are definitely there...i have edged quite often in career mode...i find it very hard to keep the ball on the ground...i play it late..time perfectly...it is still in the air....i hate it when i get caught everytime ( can someone help me with this)...i wish to know if more camera angles can be added to running part in career mode....Fielding 1 camera in career mode is different to casual mode or any other mode...In career mode...hard to see where the ball is....

DeepFreezed

Club Cricketer
It's impressive how much thought and planning has gone into this game. I have totally given up on Cricket games before DB14 review showed up on IGN 2 days ago. If it was not for that review, I would have been completely oblivious that game like this existed.

Steam makes it easy for me to support the devs for their excellent. :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread