Batting in career mode is a serious issue

AshleyWilliam

Banned
Its great being able to paly drives down the ground for four (my favourite strokes in cricket), but there are still frequent issues with fielders where they will run to the ball just watch it go past them and then turn and run after it, without bothering to put in a dive. Even if the ball is within a metre of them. And also, fielders diving for a ball going towards the rope and rolling over the boundary will ball in hand. Very frustrating. @fiction

fiction

County Cricketer
Its great being able to paly drives down the ground for four (my favourite strokes in cricket), but there are still frequent issues with fielders where they will run to the ball just watch it go past them and then turn and run after it, without bothering to put in a dive. Even if the ball is within a metre of them. And also, fielders diving for a ball going towards the rope and rolling over the boundary will ball in hand. Very frustrating. @fiction
We are aware of the fielding issues. They most likely will be addressed in a future fix.

lastig

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I had this real interesting experience last night. Played a first class match and opened the innings needing 358 to win with 4 sessions remaining. Me and my opening partner had a brilliant start and batted till the end of day 3. I was on 49 off 86 balls overnight. Came out the next morning and immediately a change in field. They did not have a mid off, but had an extra cover. Being on 49 I decided that the mid off region is one I can target. The bowler bowl his first 2 balls short just outside off stump and I defended it back down the pitch. The 3rd ball he pitched up on the same line and I went for a straight drive got an edge and was caught by the keeper. This was such a clever ploy to dismiss me that it made me felt that there was a plan against me. Maybe it's just my imagination and I got really immersed in the game or the AI had a Strategy?

Reactions: Ren

solas

Club Cricketer
Unfortunately, I still find batting an issue. Perhaps I just don't have the timing to make it work, or I simply just don't see the ball early enough, but after the first match I ever played where I got 23, I haven't gotten more than 11. The last match I was just playing (which was a test match against England as Australia in Career Mode) I played comfortably whilst scoring no runs only to get an edge for 3 runs after facing 40 balls. Seriously, not everyone has young reflexes. I'm 47, and if I a) can't change my position in the batting order, and let's be serious, in Career Mode you shouldn't keep a position if you can't perform in it, and b) have alternative options on how to bat (i am in favor of a ball marker on the pitch, giving me extra time to hit the ball) then this game is going to be exchanged. Period.

I personally can't play one half of a game that's good and then just ridiculously frustrating on the other. At this point I'm beyond hearing advice, because noone (as far as I know) can get into Career Mode and coach or help me out. Big Ant, yes....you did improve batting. A little. But only a little. Isn't this game meant to be for all cricket fans not just those hardcore cricket simulators? Wouldn't you like us all regardless of ability to enjoy some of the successes of hitting a ball for six or getting a hundred? If the answer is no, you're frankly alienating players like me who don't necessarily have the ability you think we should have in order to play the game.

As I said before, bowling is great and uncomplicated. Batting remains not. It's that simple.

S.

Arun A B

Club Cricketer
I feel bowling is more harder than batting. Batting is really easy.
after the first match I ever played where I got 23, I haven't gotten more than 11

Let me tell you this trick.

These tactics are for legendary mode and Left Hand batsman.

Whenever you come at crease, aim for Deep extra cover. If you are good at timing there will be a whole lot gap. Aggressive shots at 11 o' Clock will get you to earn more runs.

Doing this even if the bowler bowls you at leg side, it will go for a wide.

When there is a fielder at the Deep extra cover, then go for Deep mid wicket. When both fielders are placed go for Deep point, (Aggressive 7'o clock if you are LHB and 5'o Clock if you are RHB)make sure you don't have a Third man or Short third man.
When there is no fine leg and there is someone at Square, go for Aggressive shots at 5'o Clock.

You can't hit all the balls for boundaries every deliveries. Never play straight when you are having fielders at Mid on and off and Deep extra cover and Deep midwicket. Just make a glance.

When there is a fielder at Deep fine leg which would be later in an innings, just drive them without at 3 o' clock sharp. If its a good timing it will go for boundaries.

When you are playing spinners, never go for Aggressive shots, you need to be very very slow. You need to wait for the ball to land. Then make your move. Reverse sweep mostly helps as there will be only one fielder out there. You could score there a one or two. Never backfoot on a spinner.

These are the only strokes I play and have a strike rate of 160+

Good luck

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I feel bowling is more harder than batting. Batting is really easy.

Let me tell you this trick.

These tactics are for legendary mode and Left Hand batsman.

Whenever you come at crease, aim for Deep extra cover. If you are good at timing there will be a whole lot gap. Aggressive shots at 11 o' Clock will get you to earn more runs.

Doing this even if the bowler bowls you at leg side, it will go for a wide.

When there is a fielder at the Deep extra cover, then go for Deep mid wicket. When both fielders are placed go for Deep point, (Aggressive 7'o clock if you are LHB and 5'o Clock if you are RHB)make sure you don't have a Third man or Short third man.
When there is no fine leg and there is someone at Square, go for Aggressive shots at 5'o Clock.

You can't hit all the balls for boundaries every deliveries. Never play straight when you are having fielders at Mid on and off and Deep extra cover and Deep midwicket. Just make a glance.

When there is a fielder at Deep fine leg which would be later in an innings, just drive them without at 3 o' clock sharp. If its a good timing it will go for boundaries.

When you are playing spinners, never go for Aggressive shots, you need to be very very slow. You need to wait for the ball to land. Then make your move. Reverse sweep mostly helps as there will be only one fielder out there. You could score there a one or two. Never backfoot on a spinner.

These are the only strokes I play and have a strike rate of 160+

Good luck

Bud, can you post a video of you batting? It will help folks like me a lot who edge quite frequently while playing through the off side. Also, do answer the following queries...

1. Against fast and fast medium bowlers when do you play the shot, especially while playing through the off side? Do you move the right stick as soon as the bowler lets go off the ball, or do you do so when the ball reaches half way down the pitch, or maybe when the ball is 3/4th down the pitch? Do let us know.

2. Do you play regular shots (without any triggers pressed) most of the time when playing on the off side? Or do you play aggressive ground shots (L2 & R2 pressed) or mostly prefer lofted aggressive shots (L2 pressed)? I play regular shots on the off side and edge often. Maybe playing aggressive shots may lead to better results.

3. Have you tried playing career mode as a right handed batsman? If yes, were you as successful while playing as a right hander? So far I have played all my careers as a right hander and maybe might try giving left handed batsman a try in the career mode to see if it helps.

Arun A B

Club Cricketer
Bud, can you post a video of you batting? It will help folks like me a lot who edge quite frequently while playing through the off side. Also, do answer the following queries...

1. Against fast and fast medium bowlers when do you play the shot, especially while playing through the off side? Do you move the right stick as soon as the bowler lets go off the ball, or do you do so when the ball reaches half way down the pitch, or maybe when the ball is 3/4th down the pitch? Do let us know.

2. Do you play regular shots (without any triggers pressed) most of the time when playing on the off side? Or do you play aggressive ground shots (L2 & R2 pressed) or mostly prefer lofted aggressive shots (L2 pressed)? I play regular shots on the off side and edge often. Maybe playing aggressive shots may lead to better results.

3. Have you tried playing career mode as a right handed batsman? If yes, were you as successful while playing as a right hander? So far I have played all my careers as a right hander and maybe might try giving left handed batsman a try in the career mode to see if it helps.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't visit this forum often.

Fast and Fast medium bowlers mostly try to bowl fast deliveries and slow ones mixed. Wait for the first ball, see the bowling speed. The first ball you play through Deep extra cover, go with L2 and 11'o clock. If you time it right, you get it for 6, if it is bit early you get a four. If you are late, you get an edge. If the first ball is slower, they then bowl in the same speed for another 2 3 deliveries before they bowl a faster one. Thats how it goes. If the first ball is a fast one, they maintain the same pace for another 2 3 deliveries before going for a slower one.

I play the shots mostly when it is 3/4th down the pitch. To analyse the pace of the delivery. Some deliveries comes as short pitch, with a slower ball combination. Those kinda deliveries will directly hit your tummy. Defending them will go to 1st slip.

I don't play L2 R2 at the same time. Only L2 shots. I recently started playing R2 shots for the spinners, before the ball is pitched. Like at the right time that is going to be pitched. Missing the time will get you caught directly to the fielder and early shots get you bold aka bowled (whatever).

I play regular shots only when there is an Deep cover extra fielder is placed. Mostly I try to go for gaps rather than the ball.

When it is a good pitch delivery and if the fast or fast medium is bowling to the off stump, I glance it away to the square position, at 5'o clock. When you glance those kinda shots, it won't go to square but it will go to Deep Square leg, where there will be no fielders out there. Make sure you play that shot (5'o clock one) only when the ball is under a good length delivery to the off stump. When you do the same when he is bowling to your leg stump, you will eventually get out for LBW. When he bowls leg side, then you go for 3'o clock. You need lot of concentration while playing within the gaps.

I started my career as a right hander with Pro mode enabled. I didn't play any regular shots by then only aggressive loft ones and got out cheaply. Then I went for Legend mode with a left hander and I had problems too. Now after playing many matches, I am able to judge what to do and where to place.

Yesterday, my team was 9/2 when I entered. I came to crease at 2.0 overs. Faced my 1st ball at 2.3 overs. At 9.4 overs, I hit a century. As it was a powerplay one, there was only one player outside the circle where I usually play my shots. Either at Extra Deep cover or at Deep midwicket.

Hope I replied to all of your questions.

prtblue

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Fast and Fast medium bowlers mostly try to bowl fast deliveries and slow ones mixed. Wait for the first ball, see the bowling speed. The first ball you play through Deep extra cover, go with L2 and 11'o clock. If you time it right, you get it for 6, if it is bit early you get a four. If you are late, you get an edge. If the first ball is slower, they then bowl in the same speed for another 2 3 deliveries before they bowl a faster one. Thats how it goes. If the first ball is a fast one, they maintain the same pace for another 2 3 deliveries before going for a slower one.

I play the shots mostly when it is 3/4th down the pitch. To analyse the pace of the delivery. Some deliveries comes as short pitch, with a slower ball combination. Those kinda deliveries will directly hit your tummy. Defending them will go to 1st slip.

I don't play L2 R2 at the same time. Only L2 shots. I recently started playing R2 shots for the spinners, before the ball is pitched. Like at the right time that is going to be pitched. Missing the time will get you caught directly to the fielder and early shots get you bold aka bowled (whatever).

I play regular shots only when there is an Deep cover extra fielder is placed. Mostly I try to go for gaps rather than the ball.

When it is a good pitch delivery and if the fast or fast medium is bowling to the off stump, I glance it away to the square position, at 5'o clock. When you glance those kinda shots, it won't go to square but it will go to Deep Square leg, where there will be no fielders out there. Make sure you play that shot (5'o clock one) only when the ball is under a good length delivery to the off stump. When you do the same when he is bowling to your leg stump, you will eventually get out for LBW. When he bowls leg side, then you go for 3'o clock. You need lot of concentration while playing within the gaps.

I started my career as a right hander with Pro mode enabled. I didn't play any regular shots by then only aggressive loft ones and got out cheaply. Then I went for Legend mode with a left hander and I had problems too. Now after playing many matches, I am able to judge what to do and where to place.

Yesterday, my team was 9/2 when I entered. I came to crease at 2.0 overs. Faced my 1st ball at 2.3 overs. At 9.4 overs, I hit a century. As it was a powerplay one, there was only one player outside the circle where I usually play my shots. Either at Extra Deep cover or at Deep midwicket.

I created a new player with a view to playing test cricket for SA. I have no way of getting into the test squad as my average is way low. I took all the lessons learned from my previous player.

Fast/medium player off back foot to extra cover or straight down the ground mostly. Some in the air.
Medium pacer who bowl at around 90 kph off front foot leg side and off but never in the air.
Spinner off front foot sweep and to offside with a few down the ground, very, very few in the air.

My average with 1 fifty per game. 88 highest.

Arun A B

Club Cricketer
I created a new player with a view to playing test cricket for SA. I have no way of getting into the test squad as my average is way low. I took all the lessons learned from my previous player.

Fast/medium player off back foot to extra cover or straight down the ground mostly. Some in the air.
Medium pacer who bowl at around 90 kph off front foot leg side and off but never in the air.
Spinner off front foot sweep and to offside with a few down the ground, very, very few in the air.

My average with 1 fifty per game. 88 highest.

I am not sure why are you going for backfoot! Play with front foot and the tips I gave you above, you will hit more boundaries.

prtblue

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am not sure why are you going for backfoot! Play with front foot and the tips I gave you above, you will hit more boundaries.

Gives me a touch more time.

I edge a lot more from the front foot.

I can also deal with short balls from the back foot.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Thanks for the tips and will give them a go. One clarification regarding timing though - are you sure you need to play the shot/move right stick when the ball is 3/4th of the way down the pitch? I tried this shot timing against fast medium bowlers and was late on the shots, and the ball barely dribbled past the 30 yard circle. Or does this timing work only for aggressive shots with L2 pressed and the timing for regular shots is different? Do let me know.

grkrama

National Board President
i think he meant 3/4 th from his end that is 1/4th from bowler, then only you can get 6 or boundary of medium pacers with L2 on legend.that's been my experience.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
i think he meant 3/4 th from his end that is 1/4th from bowler, then only you can get 6 or boundary of medium pacers with L2 on legend.that's been my experience.
Ram , what's been your best score after Patch 2.5 release??

Users who are viewing this thread