New Update Discussion

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@cricket_online @chaman82 you guys sure about that? Green ring = BACKFOOT and STRAIGHT, if you get width then you can play a backfoot drive through covers... but if its straight then block it or leave it if your confident of the bounce, if its outside off I just leave it, definitely dont try to play at green length just outside off on the FRONFOOT! The only time you should be using the FRONTFOOT is for YELLOW and DARK BLUE balls(haha dark blue balls). Is it just me or does it seem the new BACKFOOT drive animations work really really well for the green length balls?!

IMO it could be the fact that I've set "Shot Difficulty", "Delivery Quality" and "Footwork Difficulty" slider to 70 and the margin of error is quite less. Try bumping up these sliders and you will see that the game is not very forgiving when you try playing good length deliveries (green) off the back foot.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
This point highlights the problem.

Backfoot play is non existent for the short of good length balls.
One gets bowled or lwd or miss hit the ball completely. This make the user to primary play on the front foot only.

If the batting machanisim allows the user to play these green good length balls properly , user has many options to play with a variety of shots, just like dbc14.(or may b even better than that)

I'm with you on this one. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts it seems like the backfoot shots have been nerfed to some extent. I only play back foot shots off red indicator deliveries and rest everything off the front foot.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Here`s my "review" a play by play report of my first Online Pro20 match.

Me and Francois had our First Dabble at an Online Pro20 Last Night .

Me on a Stock Standard out of the box Sri Lanka , Francois on a downloaded SA side without any Logos on the Clothes .

I hosted the match , and on the first screen where the camera pans on the stadium , my first DBC17 crash :(

Game saved automatically , and after sending my report to Bigant via PS4 , I re-sent the Invite and off we went again , never to crash for the full length of the Match :)

I batted first , we played on Pro Difficulty , as my previous couple of Matches vs the AI on Custom I could not Time the ball well on Veteran .

I found Pro much easier and game progressed well .

Glitches in my Innings :
  1. Tried to play an Aggressive Ground Shot , missed it against the Spinner , and had the same weird stumping as in DBC14 where the batsman`s foot is sort of on the line but he doesnt know it and I cannot do anything about it.
  2. I missed a ball on leg Stump off the Spinner , it looked and sounded as if it clipped my pad , but on the replay we saw the weird animation of the ball hitting the pad properly , and then deflecting and then getting "sucked" back into the wickets , same as early DBC14 glitch .
  3. Hit a 4 once , and the Scorecard for the Over at the bottom of the page showed an 8
Observations from my Batting perspective :
  • I could hit leg glances behind square on fuller balls , not super fine but defnitly behind square .
  • Cover Drive region not able to be hit via Cover Drive , only by way of the Ugly Shot mentioned below.
  • Square drive does not exist , and is replaced by an awfull looking Chris Martin cut sort of a shot
  • 3rd man guide goes more in the gully region , and not as fine as in 14 . - Beware , dont play this shot vs. Spinners , as Superman with the Gloves WILL catch you out no matter what.
  • "Green" balls that I wanted to Leg glance , ends up in a funny looking Hook shot well in front of Square . Not pretty at all .
  • Mind you , I could not Hook anything to square or behind , all of them ends sort of in the Midwicket region .
  • Running between the wickets , looks funny when the batsman sort of dead stop and wait for the "possible" second run call . Just looks weird , why not have them follow through with bat stretched out and glide over the line . Sometimes I did see that happen , not sure why though . The running would also every now and again get out of "sync" , where the one batter would almost be at his crease and his mate has just taken off for his final run .
  • Shots never felt hit powerfully , although reaching the boundary , maybe its the sort of dullish sound that accompanies some of your hits .
  • Can someone please tell the Spinners to let a few balls get past them , they completely block the straight drive option a la DBC14 fast bowlers.
I managed to get 155/9 in my 20 Overs , so all in all probably not bad...

Change of Innings

Glitches in his Innings :
  1. He twice had instances where he hit the ball to a fielder and set off for a singles , only for him to end up running 3 runs and I sit with the ball in hand at the bowlers end after fielding the return throw with no means to break the stumps stop the running .
  2. He once had his batsman facing the Square Leg umpire in his Batting Stance , I ran in and Bowled (sneaky me) , and he promptly managed to block the ball from that stance .
  3. Quinton De Cencored was having a blast and holding the Innings together , when finally I bounced him out with a miss-timed hook shot to short Midwicket , only for me not being able to appeal after the Umpire didnt want to give him out after the catch was taken . Play went on as if nothing weird just happened .
Observations from my Bowling and Fielding perspective :
  • I still need to figure the new Bowling Mechanics out , as I could not get any revs on the ball , different to 14 in a big way .
  • The setting of your Field via the Direction Up , and then setting a field is a clunky , time wasting exercise , as you need to do this for every batsman and Bowler combination that is encountered . And if you want to fiddle with you Pre-set field a bit , and take too long , you get "locked" out of your Field placement menu for the rest of the over ??? Really a pissing me off exercise in setting fields. Bring back the 1 x Field for all or something similiar .
  • Direct hits from the Fielders were impossible to be had , can someone please explain the new Green bar on top of the Fielders, as nothing is mentioned in the Tutorials , or book . I kept stopping and releasing the ball on the little Blue Marker hoping that was the magic bullet but to no avail .
  • Following on to my failure to execute direct hits , my opponent basically played a "tip and run" game , and I could not stop it , as my Keeper and Bowler is in No rush whatsoever to take the Bails off a la DBC14 .
  • It felt like my Fielders were running their arses off sometimes , but never getting to the ball . SLOW
  • Fielders every now and again would just ignore a ball and let another poor bugger run his arse off to come and fetch it. I played on Semi Assisted Fielding
  • Sluggish responses from fielders all around meant that singles were inevitable , and many 3 and 5 runs were possible in the outfield.
He ended up chasing my score down via a couple of beautifully hit straight drives , which he said was the Aggressive Ground Stroke Variation .

This game has much potential , and I think with Two to Three Serious Patches to mostly sort the Glitches and Batting out , it could turn out to be a decent game .

But Batting wise , its going to struggle to surpass DBC14 ....

One can see that @MattW was on the QA , but surely only had a hand in the Bowling division . The Batting Department lacks polish and proper Shots/Animations to make it worthwile .

Like a couple of other Posters have mentioned , why break something that was working so beautifully ??

Thanks @BigAntStudios for the quick responses to the big Crash issues , here`s hoping that the follow up patches (2-3) make this a worthwhile successor to the greatest cricket game ever made.

And the shot that you mentioned goes behind square only goes to Backward Square Leg. I haven't been able to hit anything finer off Backward Square Leg leaving the whole area between Backward Square leg and Long Leg not hittable barring edges.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Not to rake up old coals but I just found this post by our old mate Varunchuey over at the BA forums: and I quote....

"Congratulations to Big Ant on a well developed game, and I really love the game play sliders."

Split personality?

To play devil's advocate when you get your hands on the game first up and see ball marker can be viewed early and you have all these gameplay modifiers you are over the moon. For the first few hours you are more than happy with the experience thinking the batting experience you are facing is more of a learning curve than anything else. It's only after you've spent a few hours on the game that you realize the batting piece has regressed since DBC 14 and I suspect Varunchuey felt the same. You can read my initial review/experience as well as @sami ullah khan's initial impressions. You will find them consistent along with the follow-up description of batting concerns/issues.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great post!..Are there enough teams from Get Best with which to start a career with? I have to ask...my copies sitting under the tree and I can't open it yet!...

If I am right I think only 21 teams were updated. I guess next patch might take some time may be after the PC release but who knows ross might surprise us. Better you should start playing now and a fresh one later when everything is fixed and available.

D

Deleted member 46200

I don't know if you know the difference but this post of yours atleast tries to make others want to understand what you are trying to say. THIS is civilized. Not the ones before.

Anyway, yeah I remember what happened with DBC14 too, but realistically speaking they are much more experienced now and surely wouldn't take much time releasing what they promise to release. They are probably one of the fastest responding developers in the market.
Regarding building DBC17 over the foundation of DBC14...well theoretically right but I'm neither part of the development team nor someone who has the game so I can't comment on implementation.

Aaand this is what I came to see in this thread. Thank You! Sanity restored :)[DOUBLEPOST=1482353366][/DOUBLEPOST]

From my observation, if you set the difficulty to custom and go to the gameplay modifiers and set the marker to show early then you should be good. Let us know if that helps?

Totally agree but they have made a complete new game which is fantastic however, a lot of people would have taken the mechanics of DBC 14 and taken that forward. They have taken stuff out which has annoyed a lot of people. The general ghist of what I'm trying to say is this is a long development we should have a perfect working game quick enough but I'm hoping they'll add all the rest over time.

D

Deleted member 46200

Thats right,used to be fun coming here and share with people with similar interests, Lately its a circus here with full on jokers jumping up and down.
Time to avoid forum for few weeks and play DBC17!

People are entitled to their opinion but it must be constructive and put in a mature and dignified way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I mean you're starting an argu... I'm not going to even bother...

D

Deleted member 46200

Anyone get in career mode that the lineups are different to the ones in my Academy?

Only when I become captain and was able to get rid off... I mean drop some people and rotate the bowlers.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For offline that's an option but I like to play with the predefined difficulty. Custom difficulty is not included for online and the gameplay modifier tile is locked. I think they did it deliberately as it will give unfair advantage\disadvantage for both the players.

Actually i felt the speed is realistic but considering the reaction time required to move the L-R stick it can be reduced. Whatever percentage they have increased if they decrease it by 40 to 50 % it should be perfect. Overall i started enjoying the game now :yes:thumbs

Facing fast bowling certainly seems more realistic now. Can't wait for the PC version to release.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
If I am right I think only 21 teams were updated. I guess next patch might take some time may be after the PC release but who knows ross might surprise us. Better you should start playing now and a fresh one later when everything is fixed and available.
No, you can update all including women squads post patch. It will show 21 international sides first and then you can press LT/RT to keep moving to domestic by countries and then it goes to all time teams and then to women and then to custom teams. So you can download them all using get best.

kulch

Club Captain
Game is much better after this patch. Nowhere near as many divers around the pitch. I nearly took a test hatrick with j bird. 2 amazing edges. Had broad go fishing way outside off and he nicked it. Amazing. Amazing

AliKhan215

Club Captain
The fact that they listen to us and take our feedback is the best part.

Online difficulty added.
Fielders are better now.(ai)

More work needed in the following areas-

..Running by batsman to looked at (it's still very fast).May b a seperate attribute.
.. Batting backfoot play
..Batting missing cover arc region
..Pro cam camera movement
..Pro cam cheking batsman guard
..Pro cam sight screen reflection issue
..Field editor preset issue.
Agreed.

AliKhan215

Club Captain
Here`s my "review" a play by play report of my first Online Pro20 match.

Me and Francois had our First Dabble at an Online Pro20 Last Night .

Me on a Stock Standard out of the box Sri Lanka , Francois on a downloaded SA side without any Logos on the Clothes .

I hosted the match , and on the first screen where the camera pans on the stadium , my first DBC17 crash :(

Game saved automatically , and after sending my report to Bigant via PS4 , I re-sent the Invite and off we went again , never to crash for the full length of the Match :)

I batted first , we played on Pro Difficulty , as my previous couple of Matches vs the AI on Custom I could not Time the ball well on Veteran .

I found Pro much easier and game progressed well .

Glitches in my Innings :
  1. Tried to play an Aggressive Ground Shot , missed it against the Spinner , and had the same weird stumping as in DBC14 where the batsman`s foot is sort of on the line but he doesnt know it and I cannot do anything about it.
  2. I missed a ball on leg Stump off the Spinner , it looked and sounded as if it clipped my pad , but on the replay we saw the weird animation of the ball hitting the pad properly , and then deflecting and then getting "sucked" back into the wickets , same as early DBC14 glitch .
  3. Hit a 4 once , and the Scorecard for the Over at the bottom of the page showed an 8
Observations from my Batting perspective :
  • I could hit leg glances behind square on fuller balls , not super fine but defnitly behind square .
  • Cover Drive region not able to be hit via Cover Drive , only by way of the Ugly Shot mentioned below.
  • Square drive does not exist , and is replaced by an awfull looking Chris Martin cut sort of a shot
  • 3rd man guide goes more in the gully region , and not as fine as in 14 . - Beware , dont play this shot vs. Spinners , as Superman with the Gloves WILL catch you out no matter what.
  • "Green" balls that I wanted to Leg glance , ends up in a funny looking Hook shot well in front of Square . Not pretty at all .
  • Mind you , I could not Hook anything to square or behind , all of them ends sort of in the Midwicket region .
  • Running between the wickets , looks funny when the batsman sort of dead stop and wait for the "possible" second run call . Just looks weird , why not have them follow through with bat stretched out and glide over the line . Sometimes I did see that happen , not sure why though . The running would also every now and again get out of "sync" , where the one batter would almost be at his crease and his mate has just taken off for his final run .
  • Shots never felt hit powerfully , although reaching the boundary , maybe its the sort of dullish sound that accompanies some of your hits .
  • Can someone please tell the Spinners to let a few balls get past them , they completely block the straight drive option a la DBC14 fast bowlers.
I managed to get 155/9 in my 20 Overs , so all in all probably not bad...

Change of Innings

Glitches in his Innings :
  1. He twice had instances where he hit the ball to a fielder and set off for a singles , only for him to end up running 3 runs and I sit with the ball in hand at the bowlers end after fielding the return throw with no means to break the stumps stop the running .
  2. He once had his batsman facing the Square Leg umpire in his Batting Stance , I ran in and Bowled (sneaky me) , and he promptly managed to block the ball from that stance .
  3. Quinton De Cencored was having a blast and holding the Innings together , when finally I bounced him out with a miss-timed hook shot to short Midwicket , only for me not being able to appeal after the Umpire didnt want to give him out after the catch was taken . Play went on as if nothing weird just happened .
Observations from my Bowling and Fielding perspective :
  • I still need to figure the new Bowling Mechanics out , as I could not get any revs on the ball , different to 14 in a big way .
  • The setting of your Field via the Direction Up , and then setting a field is a clunky , time wasting exercise , as you need to do this for every batsman and Bowler combination that is encountered . And if you want to fiddle with you Pre-set field a bit , and take too long , you get "locked" out of your Field placement menu for the rest of the over ??? Really a pissing me off exercise in setting fields. Bring back the 1 x Field for all or something similiar .
  • Direct hits from the Fielders were impossible to be had , can someone please explain the new Green bar on top of the Fielders, as nothing is mentioned in the Tutorials , or book . I kept stopping and releasing the ball on the little Blue Marker hoping that was the magic bullet but to no avail .
  • Following on to my failure to execute direct hits , my opponent basically played a "tip and run" game , and I could not stop it , as my Keeper and Bowler is in No rush whatsoever to take the Bails off a la DBC14 .
  • It felt like my Fielders were running their arses off sometimes , but never getting to the ball . SLOW
  • Fielders every now and again would just ignore a ball and let another poor bugger run his arse off to come and fetch it. I played on Semi Assisted Fielding
  • Sluggish responses from fielders all around meant that singles were inevitable , and many 3 and 5 runs were possible in the outfield.
He ended up chasing my score down via a couple of beautifully hit straight drives , which he said was the Aggressive Ground Stroke Variation .

This game has much potential , and I think with Two to Three Serious Patches to mostly sort the Glitches and Batting out , it could turn out to be a decent game .

But Batting wise , its going to struggle to surpass DBC14 ....

One can see that @MattW was on the QA , but surely only had a hand in the Bowling division . The Batting Department lacks polish and proper Shots/Animations to make it worthwile .

Like a couple of other Posters have mentioned , why break something that was working so beautifully ??

Thanks @BigAntStudios for the quick responses to the big Crash issues , here`s hoping that the follow up patches (2-3) make this a worthwhile successor to the greatest cricket game ever made.
I agree 110% with every single note of yours. Finally someone who is sharing the same opinion/thought of the online experience. In my opinion, online is the part that keeps the game alive. That being said, DBC 14 was being played up intil 2016, starting from 2014. And what kept it alive? The Online mode on both Consoles and PC. However, i would like to add a few note.

• Bowling perspective against the batsman is actually not very good comparing to DBC 14. Many times ball has been bowled in my view, but gotten for four in my opponent's screen... so that creates a big issue (No Network ISSUE/LAG). Also its not very smooth... its like *Sudden hitting from the bat. I would like them to have it like the 14 version, where you saw the shot being so smooth and not sudden glitchy hits. Strangely DBC 14 was 30FPS but still smoother In terms of both opponents having same POV.

•Fielding is just too slow, batsman's running is too fast. They can take a whole run from your hands. They need to run quicker to get the ball. Every ball is a 2 when its supposed to be 1. And 1 when its supposed to be a dot.

•Fielding preset bug is very annoying too -Online

•Catches not being given out... batsman keeps running and takes the runs. - Online

•Too many dropped catches on Career mode.

DBC 14 was a alltime best, and DBC 17 needs a huge patch to get to that level. Though not saying game is bad at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread