New Patch now available for PC, PS4 (1.07) & Xbox One (1.0.0.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
a little word on mentality...

now the caveat here is it's a very small sample, just 7 balls. but it's the 2nd time with the same batsman. I will also say upfront the dismissal is lovely, and i think indicates better edge variety than i have seen before (which i noticed when batting myself yesterday).

grassy, pristine, hard pitch. legend ai hard bowling, everything default.

Taylor (conservative) in the first two overs of the match - 4 from Caddick in over 1, 3 from Defraitas in over 2?

Does this look like a conservative batsman? @WealeyH @Langeveldt

Nope. But I really think as Wealey said, things come to life more when perfects are nailed consistently.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think it's worth making a point here about the fundamental impossibility of "playing off the pitch" to fullish pace in a video game with any of the batting control systems yet devised.

I just took the first youtube search result for Damien Martyn, and here's a frame from the first shot, a drive on the up off Kallis :

View attachment 208803

Note that the ball hasn't bounced - it's still halfway down - but Martyn is already well into the shot. That's why the timing window has to be earlier, unless you go back to my old DBC14 suggestion of splitting up footwork and downswing, which BA won't go for as it would involve completely redesigning the system.

With that said, against short balls in Ashes there's some possibility of responding to movement - I'm loving cuts and pulls for this at the mo - and some of the spin timing and six hitting windows are very late. So it's fair to say you can play off the pitch (or at least very late) in some circumstances.

I'm not sure about that. Granted he is shaping to play a certain way. But I don't think he has decided on the shot and is well into the shot... I personally love the later timing but it's a real personal thing I guess. I felt like I was just premeditating everything before.[DOUBLEPOST=1524826637][/DOUBLEPOST]@blockerdave trust me, if there is anything amiss with mentalities I will be the first one to whine about them. I've bored myself complaining about the lack of them for about three years now

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Next patch should care of the edges too, they should still happen even if you time it late and not early only.

JustUrCommonGamer

School Cricketer
My biggest issue with the game at the moment is AI running between wickets. In the first game I played since installing the patch, the first three wickets I took were runs out.
One batsman takes off while the other stays at his cease and they both end up at the same end, or they both take off but get stuck going back and forth in the middle.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I'm not sure about that. Granted he is shaping to play a certain way. But I don't think he has decided on the shot and is well into the shot... I personally love the later timing but it's a real personal thing I guess. I felt like I was just premeditating everything before.

You've misunderstood me. I'm prob the guy on the beta team who has lobbied hardest for the later timing window, unless it was GrK. We've basically moaned about it non stop since 14. Imo it's a huge step forward to have the later window.

The point I'm making to Dave is that you can't possibly have the ideal timing window even later, after the ball bounces, allowing you to play after you've seen the movement. It has to be somewhere near where it is in the latest build (just after halfway down on default speed for the quicks. Trust me on this, I timed it to the frame in beta testing) in order to get the footwork / backlift done for attacking shots.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
You've misunderstood me. I'm prob the guy on the beta team who has lobbied hardest for the later timing window, unless it was GrK. We've basically moaned about it non stop since 14. Imo it's a huge step forward to have the later window.

The point I'm making to Dave is that you can't possibly have the ideal timing window even later, after the ball bounces, allowing you to play after you've seen the movement. It has to be somewhere near where it is in the latest build (just after halfway down on default speed for the quicks. Trust me on this, I timed it to the frame in beta testing) in order to get the footwork / backlift done for attacking shots.
I can definitely tell that... :p

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Agree and happy with that, think i got the wrong end of the stick from some of the beta update posts. No problem.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I’ll argue with anyone that tries to say the gameplay is not good in Thisbe game now.

Get swing back and boy you can have some fantastic matches.

Yes theirs quirks and a few things still to be fixed.

But for a game of cricket its lovelyz

Yes, I had a great time bowling as well. Hopefully this fix can get rolled out to consoles in Rapid™ time, so all can enjoy!

D

Dutch

Yes, I had a great time bowling as well. Hopefully this fix can get rolled out to consoles in Rapid™ time, so all can enjoy!
Thank goodness technology advances so rapidly! ;)

I am actually looking forward to just playing the game now. Hopefully there can be more tweaking and fixing of things but I actually feel the game is at a place where you can just enjoy playing a whole series again!

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Agree and happy with that, think i got the wrong end of the stick from some of the beta update posts. No problem.

I think people are so used to the early timing that the new timing feels later than it is, esp at first. There's an illusory effect in there that can be quite powerful.

I taped all my batting tests and checked the timing frame by frame.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I think people are so used to the early timing that the new timing feels later than it is, esp at first. There's an illusory effect in there that can be quite powerful.

I taped all my batting tests and checked the timing frame by frame.

I love that I don't have to play my sweep shots basically before they leave the bowler's hand now.

Absolutely tonked a slog sweep miles over square leg during my Hayden hundred.

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Faced this over from Hazlewood. Now this is Test cricket. Accurate bowling, that brought the edge.

Still some oddities, like them appealing for the catch and me choosing whether to review or not. The slips are still too close to each other and the keeper, but I can look past that if I am regularly tested like this.

Also just had 3 ideals for timing a drive and it didn't get close to going for a four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread