LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Kohli can save India in LO format, but in Test one player can't always win you a match. If someone can stick in the middle order for India alongside Kohli. India will have an upper hand to win this Test series...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
His opinion is probably based on the fact that Pujara has been torrid in England over the last year in county cricket. If he is struggling against county bowlers, he is likely to not last that long against Broad, Anderson and now Curran. Whilst, Dhawan has been in a little patch of form and he plays aggressive cricket. You know if he plays 50-60 balls he is bound to have hit at least a half century rather than Pujara potentially scoring 20(60) and then losing his wicket.

For the love of Christ, Dhawan got a pair in the warm ups. There is no concrete or reasonable argument to support Dhawan's selection over Pujara's! If your theory of playing 50-60 balls and scoring rate is the barometer then I suggest we immediately drop Vijay and get Rohit to open in tests too. Once he is in, he can make a quadruple hundred since he makes doubles so easily in LOI. White ball cricket and red ball cricket demand different games and mindsets more importantly. There's a reason why an AB de Villiers can make 50 off 250 and 100 of 30. He has the 360 game for the latter but a set of 360 degree shots aren't going to help you save a test at Perth with a bunch of rabid fast bowlers asking you questions every ball with 5 slip catchers ready to pounce at one error. For that, you need to have a strong defence. Without the defence, you're hapless in test cricket. Just like a stroke less wonder is hapless in limited overs. Dhawan might get a hundred next game, but he is hopeless against the moving ball and you can see nothing has changed from 2014!

One test series we should have won in SA has evaded us. This has all the makings of another one. But, Indians have a pathetic habit of raving over individual glory over team ones.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
His opinion is probably based on the fact that Pujara has been torrid in England over the last year in county cricket. If he is struggling against county bowlers, he is likely to not last that long against Broad, Anderson and now Curran. Whilst, Dhawan has been in a little patch of form and he plays aggressive cricket. You know if he plays 50-60 balls he is bound to have hit at least a half century rather than Pujara potentially scoring 20(60) and then losing his wicket.
Pujara played the majority of his matches in late May/June. Batsmen did struggle during that period, not just Pujara. He did have a tough time in that period, but yet again he is able to gain experience and play a lot better to different situations in games. With that, he could even hit form in the Tests.

Same goes for Ishant. He picked up a five-fer in one instance, but returned wicketless in many more. Despite not having excellent success, he still burst through England and picked up a five-fer. And Pujara is more than capable than emulating that success. He has the experience and he's been an important piece of this Indian lineup for a long time.

And on your point on Dhawan vs Pujara, Dhawan's aggession is what got him out. He played at two deliveries that were at fifth stump line and swinging away with a straight bat. And add to that he does not have successful numbers overseas. If Pujara makes 20 off 60 balls, it can make a HUGE difference in terms off seeing the new ball off. Keeping the bowlers occupied with his discipline is what allowed him to be successful and it allowed the likes of Kohli and Rahane to capitilise on the tired bowlers and the older ball.

What we see today is too may batsmen flashing outside offstump to balls that they should leave. Our top 6 (including Kohli) flashed outside and got themselves out and Kohli did that same thing and survived. It's not just aggression which is important in Test cricket. It's in fact discipline as well. If you don't have that, you aren't going to kick on and make it easier for you to score runs as well as others.

Discipline is what was missed in this Indian batting lineup. Dhawan, Rahul and Rahane were prime examples in this match. They played at balls they should've left but they played, getting themselves out.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Kohli can save India in LO format, but in Test one player can't always win you a match. If someone can stick in the middle order for India alongside Kohli. India will have an upper hand to win this Test series...

Do you seriously think that’s all it takes to swing series in India’s favour, just one person to stick with kohli each innings. That’s assuming kohli scores big each time. You need 3 if not 4 of top order to score consistently well imo

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
The funny thing here is that had Malan taken the catch on 21, the theme would have been 'Nothing has changed.. he still can't make runs in England!'

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Our batsmen barring Kohli played horrible cricket. More importantly they lacked patience, showed poor skill. Utterly disappointed with the likes of Rahane, Vijay and KL. Kohli alone can't win you matches, he may fail as well. Or maybe we always over expect them to achieve any target on any pitch and end up getting disappointed, DK is okay for the spot while we desperately need Pujara in for Dhawan. Our underrated bowlers have been outperforming and getting us close to winning games than our overrated batting lineup which looks so strong on paper but fails miserably.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Someone needs to tell KL Rahul the IPL is over! Too bloody special a talent to not be making a mountain of runs!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Do you seriously think that’s all it takes to swing series in India’s favour, just one person to stick with kohli each innings. That’s assuming kohli scores big each time. You need 3 if not 4 of top order to score consistently well imo

People are just emotional right now. We Indians just love the romance of a single gladiator winning us wars. This Indian team is loaded with talent and proven performers. Just need to be calm and stick with it. I will again say, we have the squad to beat England provided we pick our best side and then stick with them.

I don't know how much Indian cricket you follow, but there were some bizarre decisions in SA which were masked by Kohli's brilliance with the bat. The same stuff has happened in the first test here.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Exactly, I don't get how do people expect Kohli to go big and score every game. Rahane, Vijay, Pujara and KL these are the ones with maximum potential, need to contribute if we really want to win matches. DK and Pandya along with Ashwin scoring will be a bonus. One or two players won't win you matches.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Well, i think India would've won if someone stuck with Kohli for enough time. If their bowling keeps performing, i think that could push them over the line.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I'm still amazed at the hype 'Kohli conquers England' is getting. The wickets in SA were probably the most challenging I've seen in 25 years of watching this game. It was not just seam and swing, it was also the up and down bounce. Hell, umpires had to come off because of the pitch and the dangers it presented. Kohli made 54 and 41 I think in the third test and for me, those two knocks are better than his twins in Adelaide. Why? The conditions were more challenging and we won. Also, the 5th day in Adelaide Lyon was the real challenge while I feel in SA the seamers were the real challenge. I always rate sub continent batsmen on that..

The doubt, at least in my mind was never about him being able to get runs in ENG but about him being able to lead India to victories overseas.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Improving slip catching is tricky because none of the players in current 11 apart from maybe Rahane are natural at slip catching. We have literally tried everyone at slip but nothing seems to be working. We have tried Vijay, Dhawan, Kohli, Jadeja, Ashwin, Rahul. Even though Jadeja is a good fielder in general, he has dropped very easy catches in slips. Same goes for every other name that I have mentioned in there. It's almost like a 50-5-0 chance when the catch goes to our slip cordon. They might catch one but you are pretty sure they are going to miss at least a couple after that. England is probably the most difficult place if you want to improve on the slip catching simply because ball wobbles even after it has passed the bat.

Removing tail enders is another aspect where India has often struggled in the past and it has probably cost us this match. I do know that Sam Curran can bat but when you have removed their 7 batsmen for 87 runs, you have to be ruthless and take the rest of the wickets quickly. One change that can help India with this is inclusion of Bumrah. Again, this is very harsh on Umesh since he hasn't been given a consistent go for quite some time now but he seems to be the only candidate who has to go out if Bumrah does come in for the send match. Bumrah bowling in partnership with Ashwin is probably the best combo I can think about to bowl to the tail enders.

On rest of the batsmen apart from Kohli, they have to adapt pretty quickly if we want to win the series. Murli Vijay has been pretty poor apart from Afghanistan and Sri Lanka series. He struggled in home series against Australia and also didn't do well in South Africa. Shikhar Dhawan is just not a test player and sooner the team management realises this, the better is for the team. However, the replacement for him in Cheteshwar Pujara hasn't been doing any great either. Yes he is proper test batsmen but has struggled to get going in county cricket. If he has struggled in county cricket, he is more than likely to struggle against this bowling line-up of England. KL Rahul and Ajinkya Rahane are two players who are all conditions players. Rahul has however struggled to get going after that brilliant century in T20 game. He has to get over the nerves and start performing because looking at this team management, his chances will be very limited if he doesn't perform. Since DK won us that final against Bangladesh with six, he has looked a completely different player to me. He looked like a guy who knew exactly what he was doing with a solid temperament. Even in IPL, he looked very confident while batting. However, I saw old DK in both the inning that he played. He looked fidgety like he has been in the past. It is understandable that he was nervous since he was playing test cricket after such a long time. Just like KL Rahul, he needs to do better and that too pretty soon as Pant is waiting to grab his chance. Basically this is another case of players failing to adapt to different conditions. Also another remainder for BCCI to organize more practice matches before the start of such a big test series.

Forgot to add about Hardik. He looked different in the second inning. He was clearly trying to mirror Kohli by standing well outside the crease and did try pretty hard to fight it out when Kohli was batting. I am not really sure what team we are going to go with in the 2nd test but if there is one player who showed some sign of improvement, it was Hardik. At least he was willing to change his technique midway through the game.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Who was the butter fingered Pom that let Kohli off the hook in the first innings. There was some fairly ordinary fielding in that match. I am baffled by the swing from Ishant Sharma in the second innings? I have not seen him swing the ball in the past. Same with Stokes.

What has happened to Rahane? Three years ago he was almost the best batsman on the Aussie tour. Also believed he had a better temperament than Kohli.

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
What has happened to Rahane? Three years ago he was almost the best batsman on the Aussie tour. Also believed he had a better temperament than Kohli.
I will blame mostly the captain for the failure of our batters. No one knows whether he will be playing the next match or not. Instead of providing cushion to the players, insecure feeling is instilled in their minds. Earlier all the intent talk was ridiculous. Rahane is just not there mentally at all and the above is a part of the reason for it, I feel. The three openers playing the game all know they can be dropped from the XI anytime Kohli wants and feels like it. Pujara is already dropped and even if he returns for the 2nd game, he will be under tremendous pressure because the captain has zero faith in his abilities. Rahane was also dropped earlier in some series which took him down. The constant chopping and changing won't work in Test matches. While Kohli the batsman is out of the world, Kohli the captain is the worst of all!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Who was the butter fingered Pom that let Kohli off the hook in the first innings. There was some fairly ordinary fielding in that match. I am baffled by the swing from Ishant Sharma in the second innings? I have not seen him swing the ball in the past. Same with Stokes.

Well, they decided to try and make him a limited overs batsman and failed. They used those failures to exclude him from what he was actually good at i.e test cricket. Now, he has 0 confidence in himself or the management. King Kohli!

Users who are viewing this thread