Asia Cup 2018 - UAE (September 2018)

Who do you think will win the Asia Cup 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adityaroy

School Cricketer
This time the Asia Cup is going to be an exciting and thrilling event. Six Asian teams including Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and qualifying team from Hong Kong, Malaysia, Nepal, Oman, UAE, and Singapore will be participating. September 15th will be the starting date of the tournament and will conclude on September 28. All the matches will be held in UAE in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The defending champion India will be looking forward to hold on to their title while the other teams will be eager to get their hands on the prestigious trophy.

Bhumi

Club Captain
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...adesh-vs-sri-lanka-1st-match-group-b-asia-cup

15/09 - 05:00 PM IST
1st Match, Group B, Asia Cup at Dubai, Sep 15 2018

Akila, Chandimal absence gives slight edge to Ba
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka will add another chapter to their rivalry when they meet in the Asia Cup opener in Dubai on Saturday. One needs to look no further than the last time these two teams met, in the Nidahas Trophy, which was marred by a few incidents, to realise just how intense and fierce competition between the two sides has become. Which is why neither team will settle for anything less than a win, especially as Afghanistan, who have become increasingly competitive in limited-overs cricket, are themselves strong contenders to make the Super Four stage.

Sri Lanka have had the better of Bangladesh in 2018, beating them in a tri-nation ODI tournament final in January, and a Test and T20I series in February. But Bangladesh's twin victories over Sri Lanka, both in tight games, in the Nidahas Trophy, won't soon be forgotten. They tasted further success on tour in the West Indies, where all five core members of the team - Tamim Iqbal, Shakib Al Hasan, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mahmudullah and Mushfiqur Rahim - fared quite well and Liton Das struck a splendid half-century in the deciding T20I in Florida. Mustafizur Rahman and Mehidy Hasan, two key components, have also shown good form with the ball, but then some of the younger batsmen have work to do.

Sri Lanka were hit slightly hard when they lost an ODI series to South Africa at home, after having crushed them in the Tests. Kusal Mendis and Upul Tharanga were especially disappointing making 86 and 93 runs in five matches respectively. That will be of some concern as Sri Lanka can ill-afford a weak top-order.

Akila Dananjaya is likely to miss the first two matches on account of the birth of his child. The 24-year old spinner tormented South Africa with a six-for in the fifth ODI and was the leading wicket-taker of the series with 14 scalps. Sri Lanka have already lost Dinesh Chandimal and Danushka Gunathilaka to injuries.

These absences may give Bangladesh a slight edge, but their batsmen still need to find a way through the middle overs, where Dilruwan Perera can be especially potent with his accurate offbreaks. But, as Tamim said two days before the match, the Dubai heat would make this a battle of will more than anything else.

Form guide
Sri Lanka: WWLLL (last five completed matches, most recent first)
Bangladesh: WLWLL

Bangladesh provided another glimpse of their newfound celebration Associated Press In the spotlight

Angelo Mathews looked in good form throughout the ODI series against South Africa last month, capping it off with a run-a-ball unbeaten 97 in a massive victory in the final ODI. In the absence of Dinesh Chandimal, Mathews needs to carry that form and step up with his experience to hold the middle order together.

Tamim Iqbal is Bangladesh's leading ODI batsman in 2018, averaging 89.83 for his 539 runs. He will have to do more of the same; without a stable opening partnership in a long time, Bangladesh rely heavily on Tamim for a sound start in ODIs.
Team news

Sri Lanka have Lasith Malinga back, and will likely be replacing Akila with Dilruwan Perera, who has had some success against Bangladesh in the recent past. Niroshan Dickwella and Shehan Jayasuriya are also on call.

Sri Lanka (probable): 1 Niroshan Dickwella (wk), 2 Upul Tharanga, 3 Kusal Perera, 4 Kusal Mendis, 5 Angelo Mathews (capt), 6 Dhananjaya de Silva, 7 Thisara Perera, 8 Dasun Shanaka, 9 Dilruwan Perera, 10 Suranga Lakmal, 11 Lasith Malinga

Liton Das is likely to open with Tamim, while Ariful Haque and Mohammad Mithun are vying to replace Sabbir Rahman, who was dropped alongside Anamul Haque.

Bangladesh (probable): 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Liton Das, 3 Shakib Al Hasan, 4 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 5 Mahmudullah, 6 Mosaddek Hossain, 7 Mohammad Mithun, 8 Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), 9 Mehidy Hasan Miraz, 10 Rubel Hossain, 11 Mustafizur Rahman
Pitch and conditions

Four out of the five ODIs played last year at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium were won by the side chasing. The only team to lose batting second was Sri Lanka. The temperature is expected to be in the mid-30s throughout the game.

Stats and Trivia

Bangladesh will be playing their first match in the UAE since April 8, 1995.
In the last 18 months, Sri Lanka have a 3-2 win-loss record against Bangladesh in ODIs.

The two Pereras are leading Sri Lanka's batting and bowling charts in 2018. Kusal is the leading run-scorer with 309 runs at an average of 38.62. Thisara has taken most wickets for Sri Lanka, with 18 scalps at 19.38.

Quotes
"Every team should have one or two rivalries. I don't think neither of us have the Nidahas Trophy incident in mind, and regardless of the history, both sides know how important the September 15 game is, to kick off the tournament."
Tamim Iqbal

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
"Every team should have one or two rivalries.

LOL. What a forced rivalry. I am pretty sure Sri Lanka would like to rise above this and move onto more significant "rivalries" - if not with tougher teams, then atleast with more mature teams.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Every time a series involving Bangladesh comes around where I will be watching, I cringe.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Somewhere down the line I expect Rohit and Dhawan to perform exceedingly well in this series, even without Kohli we got one heck of a squad consisting of KL, Pandey, Dhoni/DK and Bhuvi to name a few. Would be interesting to see how Kuldeep and Chahal perform. Overall we should be winning this with the current team, taking in the conditions.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Somewhere down the line I expect Rohit and Dhawan to perform exceedingly well in this series, even without Kohli wewell got one heck of a squad consisting of KL, Pandey, Dhoni/DK and Bhuvi to name a few. Would be interesting to see how Kuldeep and Chahal perform. Overall we should be winning this with the current team, taking in the conditions.
Dhawan should perform well because he is vice captain pls he know after 149 runs knock from Rahul he( SD) is under selector s radar.[DOUBLEPOST=1537010732][/DOUBLEPOST]
Every time a series involving Bangladesh comes around where I will be watching, I cringe.
BD last played in Dubai in April 8th 1995

They just won toss opt to bats vs SL who are without

Akila
Gunathilaka
Chandimal

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
What a way for Lasith Malinga to announce his comeback! Two successive wickets in the first over.

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Shakib out for duck.Slinga on hattrick.
Looks like SL gonna emerge dark horse.Honestly,I thought without Akila,their bowling attack is weak

Bhumi

Club Captain
Second wicket rocked Bangladesh but I think Shakib at 3 too much vs caliber of Malinga, superb in swing yorker by old war horse!!!!

3 for 2

BD playing here after 23 years already feel heat

Bhumi

Club Captain
Two dropped catches hurts SL
At one stage 12 for 2 and 2 catch Dropped Excluding a catch off No ball otherwise
Malinga makes 5 fer.

Still Ball is in SL Court because NRR should increase now, plus run machine back with injury, plenty of run at this track, I would say 600 run wicket.

52/ 2 off 14.

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Two dropped catches hurts SL
At one stage 12 for 2 and 2 catch Dropped Excluding a catch off No ball otherwise
Malinga makes 5 fer.

Still Ball is in SL Court because NRR should increase now, plus run machine back with injury, plenty of run at this track, I would say 600 run wicket.

52/ 2 off 14.
You mean 600 is a par score or 600 would be the aggregate score,for no team has passed 500 itself.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Mohd.Mithun in good Nick.
I loves to watch 6,4,4 by Mithun off dilruwan.

Partnership now 90* I wonder why Angelo not chance his arm ?

Users who are viewing this thread