Australia Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's a little late, but if I were naming my side for the second Test I'd have probably gone for:
  1. :aus: :bat: Aaron Finch
  2. :aus: :bat: Usman Khawaja
  3. :aus: :bat: Matt Renshaw
  4. :aus: :bat: Shaun Marsh
  5. :aus: :ar: Travis Head
  6. :aus: :ar: Mitchell Marsh
  7. :aus: :wk: Tim Paine :c:
  8. :aus: :ar: Marnus Labuschagne
  9. :aus: :ar: Ashton Agar
  10. :aus: :bwl: Peter Siddle
  11. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
It's probably a bowler light, but there's no real point bowling Starc into the ground in unhelpful conditions when he's not really bowling well enough to take wickets in spite of them. Meanwhile, Agar replaces Holland (neither is especially going to take wickets, but at least Agar might give you runs) and Lasagne moves into more of an all-rounder's role because as a neutral it seems that he's been picked in the side for the weakest of his three suits (batting) as a sort of reverse Steve Smith.

That's not to say this is exactly the right side either, but it's the best combination I can come up with from the existing squad without completely disrupting the entire playing XI - this way, only Mitch Marsh and Lasagne really change roles, while Holland and Starc are replaced.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
It's a little late, but if I were naming my side for the second Test I'd have probably gone for:
  1. :aus: :bat: Aaron Finch
  2. :aus: :bat: Usman Khawaja
  3. :aus: :bat: Matt Renshaw
  4. :aus: :bat: Shaun Marsh
  5. :aus: :ar: Travis Head
  6. :aus: :ar: Mitchell Marsh
  7. :aus: :wk: Tim Paine :c:
  8. :aus: :ar: Marnus Labuschagne
  9. :aus: :ar: Ashton Agar
  10. :aus: :bwl: Peter Siddle
  11. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
It's probably a bowler light, but there's no real point bowling Starc into the ground in unhelpful conditions when he's not really bowling well enough to take wickets in spite of them. Meanwhile, Agar replaces Holland (neither is especially going to take wickets, but at least Agar might give you runs) and Lasagne moves into more of an all-rounder's role because as a neutral it seems that he's been picked in the side for the weakest of his three suits (batting) as a sort of reverse Steve Smith.

That's not to say this is exactly the right side either, but it's the best combination I can come up with from the existing squad without completely disrupting the entire playing XI - this way, only Mitch Marsh and Lasagne really change roles, while Holland and Starc are replaced.
I feel Shaun Marsh is not worth it. Struggled in Australia and now in UAE. Is a home bully?
Too many batsmen. Renshaw is in great form so it is worth to give him a chance. I think Starc should be there but Agar should come in place of Holland.

My lineup (now day 1 is done) would have been:
Finch
Renshaw
Khawaja (back to 3)
Head
Marsh
Paine
Labuschagne
Agar
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

Aislabie

Ireland
I feel Shaun Marsh is not worth it. Struggled in Australia and now in UAE. Is a home bully?
Too many batsmen. Renshaw is in great form so it is worth to give him a chance. I think Starc should be there but Agar should come in place of Holland.
You can't have too many batsmen against Mohammad Abbas. The guy's a machine. And it's msking the best of a bad lot anyway - so many of the batsmen have gaping holes in their defence (Marshes, Head, Lasagne and Paine all do and they're all different) that you have to approach the batting lineup like trench warfare

As for Starc, I see it as a cost/benefit thing. He's not likely to get more than a wicket or two in these conditions as they require a methodical approach not an explosive one. And with Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson all in convalescence still, I think it's best not to ask the last one standing to give 100% in 43-degree heat

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
You can't have too many batsmen against Mohammad Abbas. The guy's a machine. And it's msking the best of a bad lot anyway - so many of the batsmen have gaping holes in their defence (Marshes, Head, Lasagne and Paine all do and they're all different) that you have to approach the batting lineup like trench warfare

As for Starc, I see it as a cost/benefit thing. He's not likely to get more than a wicket or two in these conditions as they require a methodical approach not an explosive one. And with Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson all in convalescence still, I think it's best not to ask the last one standing to give 100% in 43-degree heat
Renshaw's technique is watertight.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Shaun failure in Asia bother me even I am indian Fan.you see Mitchell hits 87 at abu dhabi test during last UAE tour, yesterday he says YOGA change my life for better, I wish he returns to forms vs much improved indian bowling in Dec 2018

Aus 91 for 7
At lunch vs pakistan's 282

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Shaun failure in Asia bother me even I am indian Fan.you see Mitchell hits 87 at abu dhabi test during last UAE tour, yesterday he says YOGA change my life for better, I wish he returns to forms vs much improved indian bowling in Dec 2018

Aus 91 for 7
At lunch vs pakistan's 282

Shaun need some purposeful practice against quality bowling.

Bhumi

Club Captain
SMG told today in India

He wants Shaw,Pant and Umesh in Adelaide test.what you think Australian 12 member team in Adelaide test?

Aislabie

Ireland

Aaaand now Abbas has five for 30, and Starc has an injury...

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
I am really concerned about Australia Cricket now. Their recent performance don't indicate something good. The ball tampering incidence has really tore them apart.

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I am really concerned about Australia Cricket now. Their recent performance don't indicate something good. The ball tampering incidence has really tore them apart.
Smith and Warner will hopefully be back in March. We have a chance to prove we're not terrible with the upcoming series against Sri Lanka at home. I didn't think we performed to badly against India considering we won the second test and we should have won the first (considering the umpires missed 16 no balls from Ishant alone and we only lost by 31 runs. That also means that we had an extra 16 balls to score off to get the remaining 15 runs. Also Pujara got out on 89 and went on the make 123.

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Smith and Warner will hopefully be back in March. We have a chance to prove we're not terrible with the upcoming series against Sri Lanka at home. I didn't think we performed to badly against India considering we won the second test and we should have won the first (considering the umpires missed 16 no balls from Ishant alone and we only lost by 31 runs. That also means that we had an extra 16 balls to score off to get the remaining 15 runs. Also Pujara got out on 89 and went on the make 123.
Still, Smith and Warner will not be immediately able to perform well (as they were out from international cricket for a year) and it will take time. As the world cups coming, I am not really sure australia will be able to defend their title.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Still, Smith and Warner will not be immediately able to perform well (as they were out from international cricket for a year) and it will take time. As the world cups coming, I am not really sure australia will be able to defend their title.
Obviously the contenders are England(likely), India(likely), New Zealand(expecting semi final) or South Africa(semi final).

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Australia 13 man squad:

Tim Paine (c/wk)
Josh Hazlewood (vc)
Joe Burns
Pat Cummins
Marcus Harris
Travis Head
Usman Khawaja
Marnus Labuschagne
Nathan Lyon
Will Pucovski
Matt Renshaw
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Obviously the contenders are England(likely), India(likely), New Zealand(expecting semi final) or South Africa(semi final).
Yes, I think it will be pretty much like it. The Australia team needs major improvements to be a contender of the world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread