Steam update for DBC17 released

D

Dutch

Nigeria not going anywhere soon....just cant shift 'em!

20170518013408_1.jpg
20170518013414_1.jpg
20170518013417_1.jpg

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anyone noticed that bat pads occur on a particular type of pitch more than others? I can't remember exactly but I think I'm on a pristine and hard pitch and they are occuring a lot more. I've not had close fielders in to take advantage but they seem to be in greater number than when on a dry, worn pitch.
I played on a Pristine, Hard pitch and only saw a couple in an entire Test. I'm currently playing on a wearing pitch (dusty, hard...I think) and will see if they pick up as the pitch deteriorates or not.

JTisme

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
If it is completely ruining gameplay but we get decent matches otherwide then the only thing to do is reload if it happens, say every other time. Yes its contrived but we will have the console guys with pitchforks at the gates if we spend any more time tweaking. Lets hope they dont complain about there being loads of driven into the foot bat pads, as they want the patch now.
I've waited this long would be more than happy to wait till you guys are happy thats the point of testing and tweeks.

Appreciate the time and effort so you guys should be happy, sure theres a point were you have to stop but wickets are pretty big deal in a cricket game

Mr Snrub

International Coach
but we will have the console guys with pitchforks at the gates if we spend any more time tweaking. Lets hope they dont complain about there being loads of driven into the foot bat pads, as they want the patch now.

Wow, all of us tarred with the same brush and finishing with an absolute generalism about us all wanting the patch now. :p Is this type of dialogue a two-way street, or is it just us console guys who're open to attack? ;)

Anyhow, back to a question I had for all testers in general. Someone mentioned that they feel that bat-pads are perhaps happening more frequently on certain pitch-types and much less so on newer, flatter ones? Is there any way that some people can check out one end of the spectrum (worn-uneven pitches) and then check out the opposite (with newer-flatter ones)? It's a bit of an ask, but there must be some factors at play influencing the frequency of these things.

One more question, is anyone actually getting bat-pads on the off-side or just silly mid-on? Thanks to whomever might reply, you guys are doing a great job. :thumbs

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Having a go at an ODI. Thought I'd play the match from yesterday on Veteran/Hardest.

Good effort from Bangladesh on a soft/green wicket, I thought I was going to be able to restrict them to around 220 but they really accelerated in the last 10 overs (helped out by some trash death bowling). Here's the wickets:

I did reload once when one of their batsmen was caught by a fielder standing literally on the boundary rope but other than that was a pretty fun innings of bowling.

PS. I lost count of the number of bat-pad smashes that would have gone to silly mid-on but I'm not going to keep banging on about those.

Next I'm going to have a go at chasing it down as NZ. Could be pretty tough with my awful batting...

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Just putting it out there....is there anyway bigant can implement a replay summary of wickets at the end of an innings?

I'd imagine they're busy trying to make sure that the game of a million variables is playing as best it can first, before adding cosmetics to anything. I'd say it might come along next iteration if this one does well enough.

psychoherent

Club Cricketer
If it is completely ruining gameplay but we get decent matches otherwide then the only thing to do is reload if it happens, say every other time. Yes its contrived but we will have the console guys with pitchforks at the gates if we spend any more time tweaking. Lets hope they dont complain about there being loads of driven into the foot bat pads, as they want the patch now.
Console guy here- PLEASE take all the time you guys need. Your work is most appreciated and the vast majority of us are happy to quietly wait till we get a game as close to a perfect sim as possible. For the love of Grace don't let the loudmouthed minority cost us all a better game.

Last edited:

azkhan

Associate Captain
@Dutch @blockerdave @WealeyH

Hi guys just wanted to know your thoughts on the way ai play t20s & odi's? I have heard they change field settings accordingly which sounds good but how are they when batting and also chasing totals? I have heard a lot about test matches but would love to hear how they play in the shorter format games.

Thanks to anyone that can help

Last edited:

Beefybeef66

Club Captain
Is anyone else finding the reflex catching frustratingly difficult even on lower difficulties i.e. medium and lower? I am literally holding 1 in 20 catches.

Maybe I need to start a new competition with the newest build?

Skankhunt 42

Banned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is anyone else finding the reflex catching frustratingly difficult even on lower difficulties i.e. medium and lower? I am literally holding 1 in 20 catches.

aye! it's tough. Practise is a best practice here! keep trying! :)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Yep. I think it needed to be harder than it was but the balance isn't right. Either a slider or separating bowling and catching difficulties is needed but I don't know if it will be done.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@Dutch @blockerdave @WealeyH

Hi guys just wanted to know your thoughts on the way ai play t20s & odi's? I have heard they change field settings accordingly which sounds good but how are they when batting and also chasing totals? I have heard a lot about test matches but would love to hear how they play in the shorter format games.

Thanks to anyone that can help
I'd played a lot of T20 before and after the recent updates began. The field settings have been improved so that there are an appropriate number of fielders outside the circle after the powerplay ends in T20 and during the second and third powerplays in ODI. This makes it tougher to score runs big runs and therefore makes AI more competitive. AI scores don't seem to have improved in terms of setting targets in T20 but chasing is more robust. I was absolutely obliterated in one ODI, it seems that scoring in the 50 over game is where it is most realistic in terms of potential scoring, the AI can quite easily go along at 6 an over.

I'm finding it really good. It's harder but not too hard, as though I might drop one instead of catch everything in the reflex view. I'm playing on Veteran. Catching in general still feels a little unpredictable. By that I mean there doesn't seem to be consistency about when the reflex catching mechanic appears. The AI will take catches without my doing anything sometimes - usually wicketkeeper I think, particularly with spinners.

Wow, all of us tarred with the same brush and finishing with an absolute generalism about us all wanting the patch now. :p Is this type of dialogue a two-way street, or is it just us console guys who're open to attack? ;)

Anyhow, back to a question I had for all testers in general. Someone mentioned that they feel that bat-pads are perhaps happening more frequently on certain pitch-types and much less so on newer, flatter ones? Is there any way that some people can check out one end of the spectrum (worn-uneven pitches) and then check out the opposite (with newer-flatter ones)? It's a bit of an ask, but there must be some factors at play influencing the frequency of these things.

One more question, is anyone actually getting bat-pads on the off-side or just silly mid-on? Thanks to whomever might reply, you guys are doing a great job. :thumbs

They happen on the leg side. Batsman plays what appears to be an aggressive on drive and whacks it into their leg and it pops up. It's very noticeable. You can see it whenever it happens regardless of a close fielder being there to catch it. When I've batted I've had instances where I play a similar shot, it goes into the pad and the AI appeals even though I've hit it with bat first, it usually doesn't go far. I'm not sure if they're connected.

Users who are viewing this thread