Steam update for DBC17 released

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I just got catches but generally I am reluctant to bowl on the stumps because of the fact they will usually defend or navigate down to fine leg.

That's how it should be. If you bowl too straight batsmen will try to milk you on the leg side :yes

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Well lets wait until we are a few innings down but I have had little decent cricket with this latest build. Go to Wealey and Dutch for your sense of optimism :)

Maybe it is SA being poor again, although I just use Fissionmailed default teams. I did get a clean bowled with a spinner.

It could be due to my use of custom attacking fields, but I thought the gameplay was so good at times during the beta process we didnt have to mother the AI through to decent totals. I'll come back after this test is out. Not like SA score many in India IRL.
I'm going to give this match ago on Veteran. I'll play as South Africa...no idea how it will turn out:
imASuvv.jpg

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It could be due to my use of custom attacking fields, but I thought the gameplay was so good at times during the beta process we didnt have to mother the AI.

Only @BigAntStudios can confirm but this might be partly the reason for the low scores. Whilst ideally you should be able to select any field you want, it must be a nightmare to code AI to give balanced/challenging gameplay with an infinite amount of field settings

Try playing some matches using only default fields (like in the good old days :p) and see how it goes?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Only @BigAntStudios can confirm but this might be partly the reason for the low scores. Whilst ideally you should be able to select any field you want, it must be a nightmare to code AI to give balanced/challenging gameplay with an infinite amount of field settings

Try playing some matches using only default fields (like in the good old days :p) and see how it goes?

Problem with cricket is that there are so many variables - pitch type, conditions, field sets or a particular fielding spot (say silly mid on), specific line and/or length, bowling type, slider settings, player attributes etc. - that it may take extended period of time to determine the root cause for this see-sawing between AI totals. IMO it will take next iteration of DBC (DBC 19?) to address and resolve some of the items.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

the default test fields are all ones that I personally use for bowling vs AI. Occasionally I might have a slight change.

I think the absolute key in getting the AI to play properly is making sure there is a "release" in the form of a gap. with the properly varied edges now it's quite easy to do because you want slips.

i can honestly say i've never needed any custom sliders either. i've had the AI out cheaply, and i've had the AI make good scores.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Problem with cricket is that there are so many variables - pitch type, conditions, field sets or a particular fielding spot (say silly mid on), specific line and/or length, bowling type, slider settings, player attributes etc. - that it may take extended period of time to determine the root cause for this see-sawing between AI totals. IMO it will take next iteration of DBC (DBC 19?) to address and resolve some of the items.

I mean despite what you mentioned there are really only 2 issues major issues with the AI batting (in tests) I can identify, those being the bat-pad situation and the AI playing too many lofted shots. I have no idea how difficult those actually are to fix but the fact that we've reached such a point is pretty amazing.

And as far as field settings go, I pretty much only use the default fields and I've yet to see the AI put up over 250. Although most of my test innings I have been bowling almost exclusively spin to try and test the bat-pad situation. Oh and I use the default sliders blocker gave me.

Last edited:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
IMG_8117.JPG

An absolute classic.

I did everything I could to win that.

Chase nearly the hero farming the strike and chancing his luck when he could before a leading edge sees him last man to go.

Only 19 overs left in the day but even defending was difficult with the tail as defensive shots were being edges and missed to Yorkers.

I'm genuinely gutted!!!

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Dont know if anyones played much career mode, but are you able to play first class matches in a different country from your home?? Really missed this through this iteration of the career mode

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Dont know if anyones played much career mode, but are you able to play first class matches in a different country from your home?? Really missed this through this iteration of the career mode

Yes, I am currently playing for Durham during the Shield off-season on my Aussie spinner career.

I think when the offer appeared it was for the English 50 over competition but when I accepted I ended up playing FC games as well.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yes, I am currently playing for Durham during the Shield off-season on my Aussie spinner career.

I think when the offer appeared it was for the English 50 over competition but when I accepted I ended up playing FC games as well.
Great! Im really not a fan of the t20 competions, first class is the best imo[DOUBLEPOST=1495050208][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way @WealeyH, how did riaz manage to get motm?? Would have thought a pair of hundreds os

Users who are viewing this thread