Details regarding swing bowling issue - Update available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Just to bump this one as the chatter seems to have gone quiet on this.

Only a quick response needed, not looking for anything hugely in depth. Cheers guys

It's back to where it was pre-patch. Sometimes I think the ball does move off the pitch sometimes when watching slow-mo replays but it's not something too noticeable at full speed (especially with pace ramped up like I have it)

Here's an example of a bowled wicket from all the way back in December. At least to me it looks like the ball nips back in. (skip to 27 seconds in)

Currently post-hotfix this is about as much as you'll get from what I've experienced.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
It's back to where it was pre-patch. Sometimes I think the ball does move off the pitch sometimes when watching slow-mo replays but it's not something too noticeable at full speed (especially with pace ramped up like I have it)

Here's an example of a bowled wicket from all the way back in December. At least to me it looks like the ball nips back in. (skip to 27 seconds in)

Currently post-hotfix this is about as much as you'll get from what I've experienced.

I'd say the first one to the lefty is the one that moves, clearly looks to have straightened up off the seam to find the edge. The bowled looks pretty straight I reckon. Nice though!

Perhaps there was some seam pre-patch, a realistic and controlled amount, I've just forgotten about it because of just how pronounced seam movement is right now without the hot fix. Cutters always make the waters of this discussion fairly murky as you can clearly say they move, but that's not really the movement you're looking for.

Is being worked on!

In what way? To make sure there is some seam movement as well as swing in any future patches? Sorry, was a bit ambiguous as to if work was done to include seam, take it out etc!

Spoobir

I'd say the first one to the lefty is the one that moves, clearly looks to have straightened up off the seam to find the edge. The bowled looks pretty straight I reckon. Nice though!

Perhaps there was some seam pre-patch, a realistic and controlled amount, I've just forgotten about it because of just how pronounced seam movement is right now without the hot fix. Cutters always make the waters of this discussion fairly murky as you can clearly say they move, but that's not really the movement you're looking for.

In what way? To make sure there is some seam movement as well as swing in any future patches? Sorry, was a bit ambiguous as to if work was done to include seam, take it out etc!

You're right. the first one does actually look like it moves a tad despite not being a cutter.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the way things stand atm post hot-fix. The only way I'd be satisfied with bringing back the random movement would be:

1) The frequency of the seam and the amount of movement becomes random. IE not massive movement every single delivery.
2) The AI actually gets fooled by the seam when it happens randomly.

Considering there still isn't variable spin in the game I doubt that 1 is even possible but who knows.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Is being worked on!

Since the swing/seam issue is being worked on , let me put my 2 cents in it , first of all its virtually impossible to swing each and every delivery with exact amount no matter how skilled the bowler is and how favorable conditions are , so the solution would be to make the swing variable b/w from hardly noticeable to being banana swing moreover the timing window size can be directly proportional to the amount of swing so if its a banana swing the timing window will be alot smaller which will result in genuine play and miss , edges and miss time shots from both user and AI (you can also put the ideal window to a fraction later as in real life you play the big swinging ball a bit late then normal delivery) and if its a hardly noticeable swing sometimes your whacky seam can kick in (obviously in the direction of your intended swing) gratifying the lack of seam experience in post hotfix build.

That is for only green top and cloudy conditions , for other surfaces the banana swing amount and the occurences of whacky seam along with its amount will be alot lower.

Whats your say?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
You're right. the first one does actually look like it moves a tad despite not being a cutter.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the way things stand atm post hot-fix. The only way I'd be satisfied with bringing back the random movement would be:

1) The frequency of the seam and the amount of movement becomes random. IE not massive movement every single delivery.
2) The AI actually gets fooled by the seam when it happens randomly.

Considering there still isn't variable spin in the game I doubt that 1 is even possible but who knows.

Both points 1 and 2 would be what I would desire in an ideal world. I had no idea that spin wasn't variable, that is news to me.

I should get a chance to play this evening for the first time in 4 or 5 days, very much looking forward to it. I enjoyed Ashes pre-patch and still like it just as much post patch. It is one of the few games in the last handful of years that I've just consistently left in my machine and I'm happy to churn out hour after hour on.

Spoobir

Both points 1 and 2 would be what I would desire in an ideal world. I had no idea that spin wasn't variable, that is news to me.

I should get a chance to play this evening for the first time in 4 or 5 days, very much looking forward to it. I enjoyed Ashes pre-patch and still like it just as much post patch. It is one of the few games in the last handful of years that I've just consistently left in my machine and I'm happy to churn out hour after hour on.

At least from what I've seen, it looks as if spin is variable dependent on the bowler's skill and how many revs you put on the ball. I don't think pitch type/deterioration actually effects how much you get and there certainly doesn't seem to be random amounts of spin (if you hit a crack for example).

So Nathan Lyon bowling the same delivery and revs will get the same amount of spin every time throughout a test match.

It's not exactly that I'm complaining about how it works, it's just my point that if spin works that way it's likely seam does as well.

But again who knows, maybe we can eventually get variable seam and spin (edit: and swing)? Would be pretty cool

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
At least from what I've seen, it looks as if spin is variable dependent on the bowler's skill and how many revs you put on the ball. I don't think pitch type/deterioration actually effects how much you get and there certainly doesn't seem to be random amounts of spin (if you hit a crack for example).

My experience has been quite different. I can get my spinners to turn the ball a mile on a Dusty pitch while on Dry it usually doesn't turn a lot.

Rackemup27

Club Cricketer
Yea I would love the pitch to be mapped accurately to the physics. Where the ball would behave differently when pitched into a footmarker or grassy patch etc. I'm sure it will come in coming installments. When spin bowling I tend to aim for cracks and wearing spots anyway just my own attempt at authenticity.

D

Dutch

Yea I would love the pitch to be mapped accurately to the physics. Where the ball would behave differently when pitched into a footmarker or grassy patch etc. I'm sure it will come in coming installments. When spin bowling I tend to aim for cracks and wearing spots anyway just my own attempt at authenticity.
I think they do actually work. Ai target cracks as well....

D

Dutch

I haven't noticed much difference in the ball behaviour. But maybe its because the ball rips so much off the pitch anyway.
I think its more of a gaining of more points as it were by hitting the patches and cracks rather than a visual deviation, but hopefully that element can come more into it....

Rackemup27

Club Cricketer
I think its more of a gaining of more points as it were by hitting the patches and cracks rather than a visual deviation, but hopefully that element can come more into it....
Yea I'd probably prefer to see less turn generally and get that instant sense of reward when you see a ball rag square off the cracks.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I might be in a bit of a minority with this one, but I really liked the seam movement. It was a bit excessive, I'll admit, perhaps on the more extreme side of what could realistically happen, but I do think genuine seam movement in seam friendly conditions are a big part of cricket that I never really saw in the pre-patch game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad swing is back, that's pretty important to, but I am quite sad that some genuine tough seaming deliveries may well be gone to. I don't really count cutters in that regard, they're a different kinda thing.

Right, having had a bowl on the new patch rather than just a bat, the seam movement does need turning down :)

It was a real challenge to bat against (229 all out in 59.1 overs) but bowling becomes so hard to predict and set a field with. Sticking to a tight line near off stump becomes all but impossible when a ball randomly moves so far that it's well down the leg side, even though it pitched in a good spot. A standard 7-2 field is a write off to utilise now without bleeding runs, a 6-3 still isn't great!

Happy to wait for another patch on PS4, whenever it comes, but I'm still enjoying what I'm doing. My test is set up great at the moment as Pakistan are 66-3 after 19 overs. Seam movement aside, I'm glad that the grassy pitch is playing tough for both sides and there's a different feel to the game because of the pitch. Pre-patch, that never really felt the case.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I must say that I`m having the opposite to what you guys are facing , Playing PS4 Online Pro20`s.

The Swing in the air was defnitly still there , maybe slightly less than before , which meant much better controll of where you wanted the ball to go .

Maybe its an Online only thing , but it doesnt sound as bad as what you guys are facing .

Cutters obviously still cut too much, but even the random seaming each ball is just not noticeable.

This is from a 5 x Pro20 Online Match Pool I`ve played so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread