ICC Super Series

What will be the outcome of the ODI Series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Gayle and KP at the crease trying to get 80 off the last 9 overs in one of the ODIs :D

kentcricketfan1

School Cricketer
In the super series, umpires will be allowed to ask 3rd umpires their opinion on any decision, including lbws. Im doing research on peoples opinions on technology and innovation in cricket, and if you have any thoughts on the subject, or want to find out more about it, please visit http://www.datawise-systems.co.uk/survey and take part - thanks for your time!

irottev

School Cricketer
Australia Name Super Series Squads

Damien Martyn has been left out of the test squad.
Matthew Hayden has been left out of the ODI squad.
Jason Gillespie and Michael Kasprowicz have been left out of both squads.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/superseries/content/story/219639.html

Thoughts?

I think getting rid of Hayden from the ODI team is a bad move. Martyn, Gillespie and Kasprowicz were fair enough to be swapped. They will probably have a good provincial season and get reselected soon anyway after the new inexperianced players get their confidence blown by the best players in the world.

Heres the teams

Test squad Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting (capt), Brad Hodge, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shane Watson, Brett Lee, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Shaun Tait, Stuart MacGill.

One-day squad Adam Gilchrist (wk), Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting (capt), Damien Martyn, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, James Hopes, Brad Hogg, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait.

Off Cricinfo

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
All the right moves I think. I would have liked to have seen Martyn go from the ODI side too. He may still be able to score but we may as well look to the future for the ODI team too. Watson or Clarke could have batted 4.

I totally agree with Hayden being dropped from the ODI team. He is having a hard enough time staying in the test team. The ODI side requires fast run scoring which Hayden hasn't been doing in ODIs. Hussey is a more than capable opener and now he isn't wasted at 6.

irottev

School Cricketer
A series against a World XI team isn't the time to test out a new opener. The batsman have to face a strong bowling attack and the bowlers are going to end up being smashed around by a strong Batting attack. I think this is a bad move for Australia. You would think experiance would be a key but apparantly they don't think so.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Thats why they didn't change their opener in test matches. In ODI you can cover for a bad start. Also Hussey is no mug infact he has been the form ODI batter for us.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Martyn is the unluckiest player in test cricket right now. In the 17 tests prior to the ashes, he scored 7 centuries, and about 5 50s of which one was a 97. These included 2 second innings centuries after Australia forfeited a first innings lead of over 100 in Sri Lanka. Do the selectors forget that a month or so before the ashes had started he was the fav to take out the AB medal? If it wasn't for Martyn, the seeming decline of australian dominance may have started much earlier.

It had been 17 test matches before the 5th ashes test since Hayden had scored a century in test cricket. Double standards? And lets not forget if it wasn't for martyn in the second innings of the 1st ashes test that we may have seen a different result. He was looking good in the ODIs, and looked more comfortable than any other aussie batsmen early on in the series. Until he was out twice after massive inside edges onto his pads were judged LBW - and he got a ripper from Giles.

Martyn is the most elegant batsmen in world cricket since Mark Waugh (ok I like Sewag as well) - this decision will bite them in the ass. It looks as though the australians are too desperate to find a Flintoff - can they not recall that they have dominated world cricket for over a decade without one? And do they not remember that they've already tried all of these potential all rounders, and they have been exposed as being all-round average? Ludicrous!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They are looking to the future. Once Warne and McGrath go they will struggle to bowl out teams once let alone twice unless they find another Great pair. Thus they are desperate for an all rounder. Its either that or play 5 bowlers.

Sureshot

Executive member
irottev said:
A series against a World XI team isn't the time to test out a new opener. The batsman have to face a strong bowling attack and the bowlers are going to end up being smashed around by a strong Batting attack.

I think it's good no better place to learn.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
I have to admit I suprised to see Martyn dropped, considering that he was batting brilliantly until the Ashes. Not surprised to see Gillespie and Kasprowicz go at all.

What do people reckon will be the test line-up?

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Regarding Inzamam's possibility in the Super Series as a replacement, just read an article on Cricinfo in which Inzamam apparently said he won't participate in the ICC Super Series even if he was asked to now. He won't even travel to Australia for the Captain's Conference or the ICC awards. PCB will back Inzamam's decision. He apparently doesn't think he'll get an award anyway since that would be an embarassment to the selectors of the super series. He'd rather just stay in Pakistan and get ready for the England series.

Here's a link to the article.

irottev

School Cricketer
Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting (capt)
Michael Clarke
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Watson
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Shaun Tait
12th - Stuart MacGill.

Is my obvious pick, it will be the team im sure unless the pitch is very spinner friendly. I don't really think MacGill should have made the test team due to his economy. He takes wickets usually but jeez these are the best batsmen in the world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread