ICC Super Series squads

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Is Graeme Smtih the right choice for the skipper?
i dont think so...
well even dravid is better and am not saying that becoz i;m an indian.

but such a young guy to lead a world XI is really surprising.
have no probs with pollock though..but why have tendulkar as v-c?
he's not such a good leader..even he admits it.

Indiangod

International Coach
you see smith's captaincey in the 20/20 cup , just superb all the way throughout the tournement.

kalyan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would say Inzy being left out of the Test squad is ridiculous. I dont understand what Sehwag is doing there in the test squad. I felt Vaughan or Fleming or Jayasuriya would be appropriate for an opening slot. Even Vaughan or Fleming can take the responsibility of Captaincy as they are experienced as captains. (i dont know much about Smith's captaincy).

Yesterday, Mr.Gavaskar said that they considered this team depending upon the recent form, players who did well in the last tour of Australia and their ranking. He said there were big names aswell but couldnot make it of these factors. He also said they r suppossed to select a team which could beat Australia in Australia.

Having said this, I still feel Inzy should have been there. Anyways, if's and but's are always the common words used after any selection policy.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
kalyan said:
I would say Inzy being left out of the Test squad is ridiculous. I dont understand what Sehwag is doing there in the test squad. I felt Vaughan or Fleming or Jayasuriya would be appropriate for an opening slot. Even Vaughan or Fleming can take the responsibility of Captaincy as they are experienced as captains. (i dont know much about Smith's captaincy).

Sehwag and Smith are openers. Inzi isn't getting their spots. Vaughan hasn't done enough, Fleming isn't good enough (in fact Fleming is apalling against Australia) and Jayasuriya is well behind them on Test form. Sehwag has been dominant for the last couple of years and Smith is a surprisingly successful captain and player, a genuine natural. Trescothick is probably the opener unlucky to be left out, but then after him deVilliers would probably be picked ahead of Strauss and then the players you mentioned.

I reckon whether or not they pulled up a few I don't quite agree with, for the most part I find it very difficult to argue against their selections and further more, you can generally see why they picked each player against other players.

kalyan

Club Cricketer
angryangy said:
Sehwag and Smith are openers. Inzi isn't getting their spots. Vaughan hasn't done enough, Fleming isn't good enough (in fact Fleming is apalling against Australia) and Jayasuriya is well behind them on Test form. Sehwag has been dominant for the last couple of years and Smith is a surprisingly successful captain and player, a genuine natural. Trescothick is probably the opener unlucky to be left out, but then after him deVilliers would probably be picked ahead of Strauss and then the players you mentioned.

I was not talking about the opening slot for Inzy. He should be there in the team (i mean middle order). I agree what u said about Fleming. Sehwag is there only bcoz of his recent form in Australia (avg.58 in 4 test matches). But Sehwag is always a risky player. Therefore, u need batsman like Inzy or Sachin or Dravid or Lara.

Vaughan (avg 63 in 5 test matches in Aus) has a better average than trescothick (avg 26.1 in 5 ) and de villers never played in Aus. Jayasuriya's avg is 36 in 3 matches in Aus.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru

Don't know much about Smith's Captaincy, so i said guys like Vaughan would be better.

But i agree with that its very difficult to argue against their selections.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
angryangy said:
See Kumble's stats in Australia

........but we have never said that Kumble is the best spinner of alltime whereas you keep on saying that Warnie is (and I agree)

Indiangod

International Coach
Smith's a better captain then vaughan . Sehwags a better player then afrdi , wheras afrdi is inconsistant , sehwag might be usefull in the bowling too , I'd pick vettori rather then murali , as murali in the past few games gasint the aussies have went for runs , and not taken to many wickets .Whereas vettori is consistant , and hard to score runs off , vettori is also a usefull batsmen in the lower order.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
do you guys know this fact...

GRAEME SMITH has not even played a single test match in australia.....
does that not sound ridiculous to appoint him as captain?
I'd rather go for pollock as test captain too .

Also inzimama outburst on espn star sports yesterday showed that he was pretty angry.i expected him to be in the team but not to be the captain.

Indiangod

International Coach
Inzy should have been in the test and odi team , Dravid most certenley should have been in the odi team , if not smith has captain then appoint dravid.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
My point about Inzi was that he competes for the spots in the order which are filled by tremendous players. We can assume the Test middle order will be Dravid, Lara, Tendulkar, Kallis... where is Inzi going to fit?

kalyan

Club Cricketer
iceman_waugh said:
do you guys know this fact...

GRAEME SMITH has not even played a single test match in australia.....
does that not sound ridiculous to appoint him as captain?
I'd rather go for pollock as test captain too .

Also inzimama outburst on espn star sports yesterday showed that he was pretty angry.i expected him to be in the team but not to be the captain.

I agree wiht u iceman_waugh, its disappointing to see Smith being given the captaincy. Its different in Australia. And that too all others r very experienced and senior players than Smith. Can't say much about Smith's captaincy, bcoz i havent seen much of him. But Vaughan is definitely a good captain. He did very well in the recent series and now against the Mighty Aussies.

Yes, Inzy should be upset, why not ? he has been choosen as the captain of Asian XI recently and not as a player in World XI ?

But yes, as Angryangy pointed, its hard to beat those great players in the middle order.

Now when everything (selection) is over, i think we should stick to this team and expect them to do well.

:cheers

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'm confident that Graeme Smith is as likely to play well as any other player in the team.

Which does remind me, RSA haven't toured Aus in a long time. The upcoming series is going to be absolutely enormous. RSA tour Aus then Aus tour RSA.

Australia are playing cricket from October through to April. Includes the super-series (1 Test, 3 ODIs), West Indies touring (3 Tests), RSA touring (3 Tests, 1 Twenty20), VB series (vs. RSA + SL), tour of RSA (3 Tests 5 ODIs 1 Twenty20) and then Bangladesh (2 Tests 3 ODIs).

Users who are viewing this thread