Story A Season In The Life Of.....................Me...!![C2005]

Briggsey

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Batty Pleased With Tour Opener

gareth_batty_203_203x152.jpg

After a crushing victory over Trinidad in their tour opener, England A captain Gareth Batty declared himself extremely pleased with the result. With the team having only been together for around 3 weeks, Batty said it was good to see the team mixing and blending well together.

"Obviously the result against Trinidad was a big boost for us all, they put out a strong team and we coped with them very well and the innings victory for us fully justified how well we all played."

Batty was also pleased from a personal view with his performance, picking up 6 wickets in the match

"I was pleased with the way the ball was coming out, the last time I played out here I was hammered by Brian (Lara) so it was nice to pick up some wickets and get the main man out himself, which was very pleasing for me."

Despite the crushing victory, Batty warned that there was no room for complaceny with the test matches right around the corner and warned that he and the management will not hesitate to drop players if they are not performing.

"We've come here to win and if some of the lads dont have the same mentality or arent performing how we would expect them, then others will be given a chance, we want to go back to England having won this tour and I as captain want it as much as anyone, we've been trying to drill that into the lads in training and team meetings this week and told them that Duncan Feltcher will be watching so they have all the more encouragement to perform."

England A take on West Indies A in the first test at Antigua next week with the 12 man squads expected to be announced some time beforehand.

Briggsey

International Coach
Squad Announcement

The WICB today announced a provisional squad of 20 players for the forthcoming series with England A. From those 20 players, 11 will be picked for the first game at Antigua. The head coach of the West Indies A team Roger Harper seemed very optomistic about his sides chances of coming away with victory from the series.

_1006442_harper150.jpg

Roger Harper speaking at the announcement of the West Indies A squad

"This squad is probably one of the strongest we have had for many years and I think the inclusion of fringe test players who are not quite up to standard at the moment makes us a strong opposition for England. We recognise the quality of player England has brought out here with them but we feel we have picked a squad more than capable of matching them."

Harper also announced his reasons behind selecting Daren Ganga as the captain of the squad.

"Daren is a more than capable player and has been very unlucky over the years when he has broke into the test squad. He has two test hundreds to his name and feels he has a lot to prove. At 26 he still has a big future ahead of him and we feel he can kick start his international career once again in this series."

051353.jpg

Daren Ganga: Captain Of West Indies A

Ganga has averaged over 40 this season in the Carib Beer series scoring 610 runs which included a fine 256 against the Leeward Islands. Out of the 20 man squad named, 15 of them have all played for the senior West Indies squad so experience could provide them with the upperhand, something which Harper is relying on as key to his sides chances of victory.

"We have experience in the ranks, all you have to do is take a look at some of the players in the squad, but we will not be underestimating the England team, I saw with my own eyes how they beat Trinidad last week and I know it will be first but I have full confidence in my team's abilities to get us off to a positive start in Antigua."

West Indies A Squad For The Series With England A

westindiesasquad7rh.jpg

Briggsey

International Coach
The Day Of The Game

The day has come and preperations for the first test of this Digicel A Team Series are all but done. Both teams have arrived at the Antigua Recreational Ground and the sun is shining bright, so a warm day is ahead for both sets of players.

50472.jpg

The Antigua Recreational Ground

Gareth Batty and Daren Ganga have handed in their team sheets and the 12th men for both teams will be Samit Patel for England A and Runako Morton for West Indies A.

Ian Botham caught up with Shaun Briggs, the youngster making his debut at International Level, all be it with the A squad.

Sky Sports said:
IB: Well here we are at the Antigua Recreational Ground which is looking brilliant today, and here with me I have Shaun Briggs, a young man making his debut for England A today, hi Shaun.

SB: Hi Ian, great to be here

IB: So, first game out of England, it must feel great especially as you are representing your country.

SB: Oh it feels brilliant yeah, I mean at the start of the season I never even dreamt of this, its a dream come true really, to be realistic, at the start of the season i'd of just been happy to have played a couple of games for Yorkshire come the end of the season, but here I am with the England A team.

IB: Well you have had an amazing season at Yorkshire so something like this must be a great learning experience for yourself

SB: Definatly yeah, I think if I wouldnt have been picked for this series then I probably would have looked to go and play some overseas cricket, maybe in Australia, but like you said, this will be a great experience for me and something I hope I can make the most of.

IB: Now I know the tour opener didnt go well for you so will you be hoping for a better game today, if your picked that is!

SB: Absolutely, I always try to better myself and I think this game could give me a big chance to do that against some very talented players that the West Indies have, but like you said, I have to be picked first! (laughs)

IB: Well Shaun, it was nice speaking to you, best of luck and Im sure ill speak to you again at some stage.

SB: Thanks mate.

A suprisingly large crowd has gathered inside the stadium and a typical carribean atmosphere is growing around the ground.

Play is due to get underway in just over an hours time.

Briggsey

International Coach
digicelaseries7pw.jpg

1st Test
Antigua Recreational Ground

The time has come for this first A tour test between West Indies and England. There has been plenty of build up to this series and it started well for England with their comfortable innings victory over Trinidad last week. The West Indies A players are all fresh out of playing for their domestic sides in the Carib Beer trophy so both sets of players should have some sort of form coming into this game, making it that more exciting for the spectator. Both captains made their way down to the pitch to check on the conditions before the coin toss.

conditions1fa.jpg

With the warm conditions, it is no suprise that the pitch is very dry and as the game progresses, expect plenty of cracks to appear to aid the spinners, something which both captains will have to take into consideration before making their decisions. The match referee made his way down to the middle to join the two captains for the coin toss.

toss4ew.jpg

So, Gareth Batty has won the toss and has decided that England A will bat first on this pitch. Probably a wise decision considering that the further the game goes, the harder batting will become. Daren Ganga did not seem too concerned at the fact he had lost the toss but considering how his judgement of the toss was in the warm up game, he is probably glad he didnt have to make the decision first up. The captains shook hands and the team sheets were soon released as the players made their way out onto the ground to get proceedings underway.

teams3io.jpg

Briggsey

International Coach
digicellogo1sp.gif

West Indies Fightback After Cook Heroics
At The Antigua Recreational Ground

Jermaine Lawson and Tino Best led the West Indies fightback after Alastair Cook hit a century for England A who were bowled out for 409 in their first innings. Things were looking glum for the West Indies when England reached the 300 mark with only 2 wickets down, but two quick wickets from Tino Best brought his side back into it and England ended up loosing their last 8 wickets for only 109 runs. Cook was the mainstay of the England innings with his 107 receiving good support from his opening partner Moore who hit 87 and Briggs who fell short of a deserved half century. The England middle order failed to impose itself on the West Indies attack and when Gareth Breese took 2 wickets towards the end of the innings, the writing was on the wall for England who really fell short of a decent score considering the start they were given by the top order.

From Briggs View
Briggs bounced back from his first ball duck in the warm up game by hitting a good 48 on a decent looking pitch. After being tested with some short stuff early on by Tino Best, Briggs settled in and played some fine hook shots as Best continued to try and test Briggs out. A couple of close LBW shouts went Briggs' way later on as he moved on to what looked like was going to be his first half century of the tour, but when Jeremy roughed him up in one over, forcing 3 consecutive play and misses, Best took full advantage and pitched one up to Briggs who hit it straight at Ryan Hinds in the covers. A dissapointing way to get out for Briggs who had looked in good nick before.

firstball2sc.jpg

Briggs prepares to face his first ball infront of the Sky camera's

briggsshots0zk.jpg

Briggs and Cook put on a good partnership, with Briggs in particular hitting some fine boundaries

briggsout8ww.jpg

Briggs fell short of 50, falling to Tino Best

S_Harmison

International Cricketer
Good to see youve kept this going Brigessy, a cracking thread, not doing too well so far though, could have done with a few more wickets!!!

Briggsey

International Coach
Sorry for the lack of updates, its mainly due to the problems im having with the Sky Sports patch, it keeps crashing my game so im having to save nearly every over! There will be one today though, ill do whatever it takes!

Briggsey

International Coach
channel4.jpg

Channel 4 Gain TV Rights

Channel 4 have won the right to show the rest of the England A tour of the West Indies after Sky Sports pulled out of the deal midway through the first test match, with the reason being put down to 'technical difficulties'. The ECB had to strike a deal at the very last minute with Channel 4 who will now show the rest of the first test and the following test and one day games to come.

It remains to be seen if Sky Sports pulling out of the deal will have any effect on them holding the rights to show England international cricket for the next few years, but many people are hoping the ECB take another look at the commitment of Sky to cricket with this pull out during a test match.

Briggsey

International Coach
digicellogo1sp.gif

Batty Rips Through West Indies To Leave England On Brink
At The Antigua Recreational Ground

Gareth Batty finished with amazing figures of 5 for 11 as England A bowled out West Indies A for only 114 on the second day of the first test. Batty exploited the conditions brilliantly and produced huge amounts of turn to confuse the West Indies batsmen, clearly not expecting the turn produced. A couple of the West Indies players got starts, but they were not good enough as wickets fell at regular intervals with only Ryan Hinds and Carlton Baugh offering any resistance with what turned out to be a vital 50 run partnership. Batty was backed up well by the seam bowlers, with Briggs and Plunkett each picking up 2 wickets, and Jon Lewis with 1. The captains next decision will be weather he wants to enforce the follow on, and with a lead of 295, it may very well be.

From Briggs View
Shaun Briggs produced his best bowling on the tour as he picked up two wickets in the West Indies first innings. Briggs bowled with pace and aggression as he troubled the batsmen throughout, and it took him until his third over to get the breakthrough when Devon Smith mistimes a pull and hit it straight in the air where Jon Lewis took a comfortable catch. Briggs was pumped up after that and nearly had two in two next ball, forcing Baugh to play and miss at a good one. Baugh was fortunate to edge past a diving Chris Read later on in Briggs first spell. Briggs was soon back in the wickets in his 9th over when he got one to swing back in at Ryan Hinds who was clean bowled. Delight for Briggs then as he seems to have rediscovered his bowling form.

Shaun Briggs 11-2-27-2

1st Spell
1st Over: Briggs starts up well with a pacey maiden
2nd Over: 2 runs from the over
3rd Over: WICKET! Big wicket for England as Devon Smith mistimes a hook which flies straight up and straight down into the hands of Jon Lewis. Baugh plays and misses the next delivery. Maiden over
4th Over: 2 runs from the over
5th Over: Baugh and Hinds put pressure on Briggs by helping themselves to a boundary apiece
6th Over: Briggs is unlucky as he see's Baugh nick one past Chris Read and to the boundary
7th Over: Baugh hits another boundary from Briggs final over of the spell

2nd Spell
8th Over: Single from Briggs return over
9th Over: WICKET! Vital breakthrough for England as the main stay of the West Indies innings, Ryan Hinds is dismissed by a ball that swings in and cleans him up
10th Over: Single from the over
11th Over: Another single from what would be Briggs final over

briggsinbowling9ol.jpg

Briggs and Batty sort out the field as Briggs begins his first spell

smithout4aa.jpg

Briggs is delighted to see the back of Devon Smith for 18

baughmissed2qx.jpg

That delight soon turns to anger though as Baugh edges past Read

hindsout6df.jpg

Briggs turns it on for the Channel 4 cameras and dismisses Ryan Hinds

Users who are viewing this thread