SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Andrew Terry

School Cricketer
Just in player manager, default teams, i must add im on xbox so maybe this has been patched?
AHH there have been updates to rosters etc since day one...I bet that is why you are seeing strange stats. ALthough I do agree its worth some research to see if doing some editing and sharing of rosters might help out the gameplay.

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Ah makes sense, cheers for clearing up lads, no wonder gameplay for me has really felt off at times . Elite bowlers with the lowest grades possible

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Have been sitting looking at players in player manager and im baffled tbh. In proficiencies they are scaled 1-5, i looked at bowlers mainly and cant work them out. Is 1 good or is 5 good. Why do most bowlers have 1 in line accuracy and length accuracy barring anderson and cummins. I know this is off topic but its bound to be affecting gameplay from sliders no? Also smith is more accurate at line and length than broad?
I consider this on topic.

As has been pointed out, player builds and attributes affect game play, and ultimately that's what we're here to sort out.

As an aside, I am a big American Football fan and regularly play the Madden series (though I haven't had the last few, TBF).

Madden, like most sports games, is slider heavy.

On the most recent version I owned, I followed a tip from a Reddit user to sim the career mode 25 years into the future, then play from that point.

It was like a different game. Absolutely incredible, realistic, and so many of the annoying traits and bugs from the gameplay just disappeared like magic.

Madden goes all in on player ratings, doing staged reveals before the game is even released. It really is bonkers. As such, too many players are 99ovr, 90+ ovr, have too many of the totally OTT player traits that break the game. That's what they use to catch the headlines and market, so they bloat them out as much as possible.

Sim 25 years into the future and all the existing players and their janky builds are retired. All the regens have much more normal attributes, far fewer own the game-breaking perks, and the game play was much better for it.

I really wouldn't be surprised if a number of C22's issues can be cured (or at the very least dialled back) just by altering the players being used.

Feels like another rabbit hole tho, we don't need more of those haha

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
I consider this on topic.

As has been pointed out, player builds and attributes affect game play, and ultimately that's what we're here to sort out.

As an aside, I am a big American Football fan and regularly play the Madden series (though I haven't had the last few, TBF).

Madden, like most sports games, is slider heavy.

On the most recent version I owned, I followed a tip from a Reddit user to sim the career mode 25 years into the future, then play from that point.

It was like a different game. Absolutely incredible, realistic, and so many of the annoying traits and bugs from the gameplay just disappeared like magic.

Madden goes all in on player ratings, doing staged reveals before the game is even released. It really is bonkers. As such, too many players are 99ovr, 90+ ovr, have too many of the totally OTT player traits that break the game. That's what they use to catch the headlines and market, so they bloat them out as much as possible.

Sim 25 years into the future and all the existing players and their janky builds are retired. All the regens have much more normal attributes, far fewer own the game-breaking perks, and the game play was much better for it.

I really wouldn't be surprised if a number of C22's issues can be cured (or at the very least dialled back) just by altering the players being used.

Feels like another rabbit hole tho, we don't need more of those haha
As a fellow madden player i too have suffered from trying to get the perfect slider set for a franchise. I feel with all the tools we have, its easier than on Madden to get a decent simulation. Perks definitely affected gameplay on cricket 19, but this year they seem to affect attributes rather than player behaviour. Perks for me are the best way to create unique players that play differently, similar to what madden did with those abilities and xfactors they brought im, but they broke the game

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Nice! Okay well for the record, I'm downloading some teams, then I will give South Africa sliders a bash. Whenever I can finish getting these academy creations downloaded. Bloody hell it's slow :eek:
Im struggling to find the combo that you just don’t wanna lose the toss and be put into bat on…
Just saw this, by chance. Figured I'd come here to share as it's the perfect reply to what you were both on about!

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
I think (and your experience may be different) that we need to lower pitch friction on more bowling decks such as England and WI etc, at 50 in England im seeing a thin edge once in a blue moon, 99% of thick ones that fly to the square boundary or through the gap between slips and gully, i have pretty much never seen a razor thin nick to the keeper, even the ones to the keeper i have seen are thicker where the keeper jumps in front of first slip and takes the catch away from him.

Thoughts @Rumple43 @WealeyH

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I think (and your experience may be different) that we need to lower pitch friction on more bowling decks such as England and WI etc, at 50 in England im seeing a thin edge once in a blue moon, 99% of thick ones that fly to the square boundary or through the gap between slips and gully, i have pretty much never seen a razor thin nick to the keeper, even the ones to the keeper i have seen are thicker where the keeper jumps in front of first slip and takes the catch away from him.

Thoughts @Rumple43 @WealeyH

I think the edges have been massively reduced to add in the outfield catches….
BUT yes lowering it should work to some extent..

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
I think the edges have been massively reduced to add in the outfield catches….
BUT yes lowering it should work to some extent..
Its at 50 in the settings for England at the moment, im going to lower it to 40 and will feed back, see if i see any.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Its at 50 in the settings for England at the moment, im going to lower it to 40 and will feed back, see if i see any.
India have just declared overnight end of Day two with these scores on the boards @WealeyH - bit unusual again?

View attachment 259915

yes…. But… maybe they think they have enough.. let’s be fair .. they do ;)

Also on the edges be interesting if we go back to default for both frictions and see what we get…

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
yes…. But… maybe they think they have enough.. let’s be fair .. they do ;)

Also on the edges be interesting if we go back to default for both frictions and see what we get…
Yes you can see i may have had the odd struggle with the tweakers :D

Im timing Ashwin fine now second innings but i cant get Jadeja down at all - think ill just have to block his overs out hes killing me.

Default on pitch and ball friction?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Some great input in this thread the last day or two. I've read it all, but aside from the odd reply I've not really been able to delve into it too much.

My circumstances mean that I get the most time to play when people probably get the least as I'm not often around on evenings and weekends. Hopefully people will get a big chunk of time to pour into the game over the next week or two but I'm probably the opposite!

As such, I may well have a bit of a lower profile until January. I'll still be about to read and post but my time on the game itself will probably be pretty low. Hopefully I get a chance to finish my India v England test, but I just didn't want anyone to think I'd bailed on the project!

Once we're into 2022 it'll be full steam ahead. I still enjoy this game, and hopefully less frequent patching means it can settle down a bit as well.

For me, the upcoming milestones for this project probably look something like this:
  • BA to sort the slider issues, so they can be edited during a game and they have an immediate effect.
  • Begin work on v2 of the slider spreadsheet. The plans for this are to include a home and away slider figure, so test cricket is harder for the away team than the home team. I also want to introduce a "variable" drop down box into play, that can include choices like "spin friendly", "seam friendly", "batter friendly" etc. That way the slider number outputs can have a bit of variation to them, it's not just the exact same numbers and the exact same set up every time you play. During a test series this will be quite useful I feel, and we've already discussed pitch specific sliders for certain countries.
  • Do some actual testing work (identical teams, identical bowlers, grab big eye data etc) to examine pitch wear and if it's actually a thing.
  • Based on if pitch wear is or isn't a thing, consider v3 of the slider spreadsheet to include day-by-day slider changes to create manual pitch evolution.
While all of the above is going on, the more we can pound out the current slider numbers in-game to test how robust they are, the better. They're the foundations for what we're building, so the more reliable the better.

I've really enjoyed my first month of play with this game, and the enthusiasm and effort from other like-minded people has 100% increased that enjoyment as well. I wish you all an awesome holiday season, and hope that you have a top time regardless of how much C22 you get to hammer out! :)

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Yeah, sadly, since im on the xbox version, i realise the extent to which im playing a completely different game to the rest of you. So much so that player attributes are completely different, therefore my feedback for now is useless

caprikaps

Club Captain
So this went well and was worthwhile every bit of it.

Ground - Adelaide Oval
Pitch - Dry medium
Condition - deteriorating by the looks of it

Having lost the first test to an unexpected chase on a green track in Gabba, I ensured that I set a mountain chase for the AI in the last innings on 4th day where the ball has started to hold up and edges are more prominent - to test if AI could really chase anything.

I set a target of 487 for with AI with a little over 150 overs to be bowled. It was a usual start where the AI was 1/132 and I started to loose my faith in this game untile Mitch Starc was brought back into the attach & boy o boy - he bowled 2 unplayable balls - edges to the slips and keeper to dismiss well set Burns and Malan. That hurt AI badly and then I witness an epic collapse.

From 1/132 to 199 all out, made me believe that the game has still a lot to uncover and offer. We just need to navigate through and record what we experience

PS - there were no bat pads but genuine wickets, caught at slips, mid off, square leg and 1 run out.

Attachments

• 7CFF24FB-6774-4C8F-9B39-3B82FDCDC6B5.jpeg
    7CFF24FB-6774-4C8F-9B39-3B82FDCDC6B5.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread