SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Irtileaf

Club Captain
@Irtileaf

Just checked, it was pitch bounce 42 in that video from last night. V1 of the spreadsheet is still pitch bounce 35. I think I must have changed it between one of the more recent patches coming out to nullify bounce on medium pitches but before I tested it more fully.

In V2, Medium grassy pitch bounce in England is set to 50, FWIW.
Thanks mate!
Post automatically merged:

@Irtileaf

Just checked, it was pitch bounce 42 in that video from last night. V1 of the spreadsheet is still pitch bounce 35. I think I must have changed it between one of the more recent patches coming out to nullify bounce on medium pitches but before I tested it more fully.

In V2, Medium grassy pitch bounce in England is set to 50, FWIW.
Thanks mate! When can we expect the V2 sliders? At your convenience ofcourse.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Thanks mate!
Post automatically merged:

Thanks mate! When can we expect the V2 sliders? At your convenience ofcourse.
Hmmm, work is busier than usual this week, so that'll slow me down. That said, it should still be this week. I'm also tinkering away with a few content ideas for a new story based/ narrative type thread that I might start, so that's also been taking me a bit of pondering time.

I haven't changed any sliders apart from physics and catching in V2, just so people are aware. Stuff like AI, batting etc are harder to test as they require a full game, or multiple games, to play out before you can really get a grip on them. Physics are immediately apparent.

V2, as teased last week, contains a lot more variation functionality, including the home/away slider numbers for anyone interested.

Irtileaf

Club Captain
Hmmm, work is busier than usual this week, so that'll slow me down. That said, it should still be this week. I'm also tinkering away with a few content ideas for a new story based/ narrative type thread that I might start, so that's also been taking me a bit of pondering time.

I haven't changed any sliders apart from physics and catching in V2, just so people are aware. Stuff like AI, batting etc are harder to test as they require a full game, or multiple games, to play out before you can really get a grip on them. Physics are immediately apparent.

V2, as teased last week, contains a lot more variation functionality, including the home/away slider numbers for anyone interested.
That's really interesting mate. Looking forwards to that.
Thank you for your efforts. And yes I think the AI etc sliders are fine as they are.

cricboi

Club Captain
Are there any sliders that alter how the AI sets up fields? I've found the batting sliders combined with re-skilling makes the experience really fun, but i still find it way too easy to get 4s on glances and leg side shots. Would be great if the AI put someone out there instead of letting me get 4 each time. Is this possible to improve?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Are there any sliders that alter how the AI sets up fields? I've found the batting sliders combined with re-skilling makes the experience really fun, but i still find it way too easy to get 4s on glances and leg side shots. Would be great if the AI put someone out there instead of letting me get 4 each time. Is this possible to improve?
Not that I'm aware of. That stuff is hard coded and there hasn't been anything slider related that's seemed to affect it.

That said, pretty sure BA know about it so it's just a case of waiting and hoping for the best.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
There is a setting for AI to use human fields or something like that, then you make a whole bunch of pre-set fields and the AI should use them (but you cant deselect the disk fields so the AI doesnt use them unfortunately!)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
After so much excel work that I thought my head was going to explode, V2 is here. Still, I taught myself three or four things that I didn't know before so every day's a school day and all that :)

Change Log

Details of what has changed from V1 to V2, with some explanation and examples.

England
Pace bowling swing 62 to 58
Pace bowling revs from 10 to 5
Spin bowling revs from 22 to 15
Pitch bounce from 35 to 50

Tuned swing down a touch, and further reduced spin and pace revs on the grass. Pitch bounce has gone up to counter the reduction from the recent patch.

An over from Jimmy in Manchester looks something like this:

1642511870876.png

And from Moeen:

1642511910457.png
I still think is a bit too much for an English pitch straight out of the gate on day 1, but considering it needs to spin the same amount for all 5 days, I'll allow a bit more spin straight away against less spin later.

Australia
Spin bowling revs from 20 to 30
Pitch friction from 65 to 60
Pitch bounce from 35 to 40

A little bit more spin to counter the hard surface, a little less friction to encourage the slips and keeper a bit more, and a small notch to overall bounce.

Here's Jimmy at the GABBA:

1642512108710.png
A few that clear the stumps through natural variance, more are at the bails, and there's after touch to consider, plus different actions from other bowlers that get more bounce (Broad, for example).

Here's Moeen:

1642512170385.png

If we could get that kind of bounce for spinners on all pitches I'd be much happier. Again, turn wise, there's a bit, not lots.

Asia
Spin bowling revs from 30 to 26

A minor tweak to the base amount of spin since a dusty pitch offers the most by default. Like other places, pitch friction has been reduced slightly and bounce has been bumped slightly.

Jimmy:
1642512340653.png
Moeen:
1642512363617.png
Even with the turned down spin revs, that's still hitting leg from outside off.

South Africa
Pace bowling swing from 58 to 55
Pace bowling revs from 14 to 8
Spin bowling revs from 25 to 20
Pitch friction from 40 to 35

Plenty of tinkering in South Africa to generally aid bowlers but counteract the assistance from grass on the surface.

Jimmy:
1642512494518.png
Flirting with the bails for the most part without any after touch.

Moeen:
1642512533312.png

Out of interest, I wanted to make sure Stuart Broad wouldn't clear the stumps with every delivery on these new settings so I did an over with him trying to hit the top of off stump using after touch:

1642512586719.png
The variance of one delivery has meant it's dropped shorter and bounced higher, but the rest are spot on height wise. Lovely stuff.

NZ
Pace bowling swing from 60 to 55
Pace bowling revs from 14 to 7
Pitch bounce from 40 to 42

Another pitch with grass that needed a bit of a tone down, but for some reason the NZ pitch only needed a bit more bounce, a minimal amount. There could be a case to turn this one up to 45 or 50 for bounce, but I'd prefer a top third of the stump type pitch bounce than an Australia/SA bail clipper.

Jimmy:
1642512773754.png
Moeen:
1642512794149.png
I like this one the least. That is just so low. Half way up the stumps for a spinner isn't good, and NZ is a hard pitch!

West Indies
Pace bowling swing from 55 to 45
Pace bowling revs from 26 to 20
Spin bowling revs from 30 to 20

Not a lot to change, just the general tweaks to turn down revs and swing.

Jimmy:
1642513106086.png
Moeen:
1642513120642.png

Fielding
Catching slow down speed - spin from 80 to 70
Catching slowdown speed - pace from 75 to 65
Catching radius from 12 to 16
Catching skill influence from 80 to 90

I felt with the mini-game, catching was still too automatic. I don't think I've dropped a catch on Cricket 22 unless I've meant to do it. As such, I've made all sliders harder, and also increased the influence of catching skill.

Added functionality

I have added some extra stuff to this spreadsheet for those that want it. For anyone not interested, you can still just read off the "slider value" number.

Home and Away sliders

Home advantage is test cricket has been suggested to be as big as 15%-17%. That's pretty huge, from a statistical perspective.

As such, V2 of the spreadsheet has a home and away column. Rather than using the base slider number, you can input the home or away number depending on if you are the home or away team. This will make the game slightly easier if you're hosting, and slightly harder if you're the tourists.

This covers everything from how often the AI will lose wickets, bowling difficulty, edges, run rate and so on. There's been a small plus or minus to about 85% of the sliders, from memory.

Of course, some people might not be interested in this, so just use the slider value column instead if you want a neutral game without a bias either way.

Slider modifiers

A second drop down box has been added, called "Modifier". I figured this would come in handy for anyone playing series in the same country and wanting some kind of difference in pitch game to game.

The list of available modifiers is as follows:
  • Batter friendly
  • Seam friendly
  • Spin friendly
  • Increased swing
  • Exaggerated spin
  • Dead pitch
By default, this drop down should be set to "none" and the extra columns blacked out to make v2 spreadsheet less "busy".

If one of the modifiers is selected, these boxes will instead be populated by numbers, including an additional home and away modified slider.

Note - These new modifiers haven't been tested. It could be the cumulative effect of a modifier, plus home and away alterations on top makes for a slider number that isn't optimal. The only way to test this is to use them, but just putting that here as a warning.

Don't forget

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

That's the point of publishing them, and having a version history attached.

Feedback, say what happened, good or bad, and we'll keep refining.

User ability is a thing

These sliders are not just plug and play

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

The spreadsheet itself

The functionality has remained the same as V1. All you need to do is download, open the sheet in excel (some other programmes like Open Office haven't worked so well, so you may need some trial and error), then click the dropdown boxes at the top of the one sheet available.

All formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited. It should be pretty hard to break! The sheet is designed so that the drop down boxes are the only thing that can be edited.

I think for now, I don't have any pressing plans for v3 of this spreadsheet except to correct any slider values/modified values that end up being way out. I kinda want to get started with some in depth playing, and creating content, a narrative story, all that kind of thing. I'm not going anywhere though, and this thread will still be here for questions, feedback and so on.

Thanks all, keep up the good work!

Attachments

• Cricket 22 - Pitch Slider Spreadsheet v2 18 01 2022.xlsx
    47.2 KB · Views: 92

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
After so much excel work that I thought my head was going to explode, V2 is here. Still, I taught myself three or four things that I didn't know before so every day's a school day and all that :)

Change Log

England

Tuned swing down a touch, and further reduced spin and pace revs on the grass. Pitch bounce has gone up to counter the reduction from the recent patch.

View attachment 261782

And from Moeen:

View attachment 261783
I still think is a bit too much for an English pitch straight out of the gate on day 1, but considering it needs to spin the same amount for all 5 days, I'll allow a bit more spin straight away against less spin later.

Australia

A little bit more spin to counter the hard surface, a little less friction to encourage the slips and keeper a bit more, and a small notch to overall bounce.

View attachment 261784
A few that clear the stumps through natural variance, more are at the bails, and there's after touch to consider, plus different actions from other bowlers that get more bounce (Broad, for example).

Here's Moeen:

View attachment 261785

If we could get that kind of bounce for spinners on all pitches I'd be much happier. Again, turn wise, there's a bit, not lots.

Asia

A minor tweak to the base amount of spin since a dusty pitch offers the most by default. Like other places, pitch friction has been reduced slightly and bounce has been bumped slightly.

Jimmy:
View attachment 261786
Moeen:
View attachment 261787

South Africa

Plenty of tinkering in South Africa to generally aid bowlers but counteract the assistance from grass on the surface.

Jimmy:
View attachment 261788

Moeen:
View attachment 261789

Out of interest, I wanted to make sure Stuart Broad wouldn't clear the stumps with every delivery on these new settings so I did an over with him trying to hit the top of off stump using after touch:

View attachment 261790
The variance of one delivery has meant it's dropped shorter and bounced higher, but the rest are spot on height wise. Lovely stuff.

NZ

Another pitch with grass that needed a bit of a tone down, but for some reason the NZ pitch only needed a bit more bounce, a minimal amount. There could be a case to turn this one up to 45 or 50 for bounce, but I'd prefer a top third of the stump type pitch bounce than an Australia/SA bail clipper.

Jimmy:
View attachment 261791
Moeen:
View attachment 261792
I like this one the least. That is just so low. Half way up the stumps for a spinner isn't good, and NZ is a hard pitch!

West Indies

Jimmy:
View attachment 261793
Moeen:
View attachment 261794

Fielding

I felt with the mini-game, catching was still too automatic. I don't think I've dropped a catch on Cricket 22 unless I've meant to do it. As such, I've made all sliders harder, and also increased the influence of catching skill.

Added functionality

I have added some extra stuff to this spreadsheet for those that want it. For anyone not interested, you can still just read off the "slider value" number.

Home and Away sliders

Home advantage is test cricket has been suggested to be as big as 15%-17%. That's pretty huge, from a statistical perspective.

As such, V2 of the spreadsheet has a home and away column. Rather than using the base slider number, you can input the home or away number depending on if you are the home or away team. This will make the game slightly easier if you're hosting, and slightly harder if you're the tourists.

This covers everything from how often the AI will lose wickets, bowling difficulty, edges, run rate and so on. There's been a small plus or minus to about 85% of the sliders, from memory.

Of course, some people might not be interested in this, so just use the slider value column instead if you want a neutral game without a bias either way.

Slider modifiers

A second drop down box has been added, called "Modifier". I figured this would come in handy for anyone playing series in the same country and wanting some kind of difference in pitch game to game.

• Batter friendly
  • Seam friendly
  • Spin friendly
  • Increased swing
  • Exaggerated spin
  • Dead pitch
By default, this drop down should be set to "none" and the extra columns blacked out to make v2 spreadsheet less "busy".

If one of the modifiers is selected, these boxes will instead be populated by numbers, including an additional home and away modified slider.

Note - These new modifiers haven't been tested. It could be the cumulative effect of a modifier, plus home and away alterations on top makes for a slider number that isn't optimal. The only way to test this is to use them, but just putting that here as a warning.

Don't forget

Some slider values are probably wrong. In fact, they could well be wrong in multiple places

User ability is a thing

If 100% of people just copy them down from the spreadsheet and put them straight into the game, 90% are probably going to be disappointed. The settings needs to be tailored to your own ability, how you like test cricket to be played, how you like the AI to play, there's loads of variables. It's not a one size fits all kind of deal.

The spreadsheet is a guide, a starting point. No doubt with some trial and error of your own, you'll find something even better for you.

The spreadsheet itself

The functionality has remained the same as V1. All you need to do is download, open the sheet in excel (some other programmes like Open Office haven't worked so well, so you may need some trial and error), then click the dropdown boxes at the top of the one sheet available.

All formula are hidden and can't be accidentally edited. It should be pretty hard to break! The sheet is designed so that the drop down boxes are the only thing that can be edited.

I think for now, I don't have any pressing plans for v3 of this spreadsheet except to correct any slider values/modified values that end up being way out. I kinda want to get started with some in depth playing, and creating content, a narrative story, all that kind of thing. I'm not going anywhere though, and this thread will still be here for questions, feedback and so on.

Exceptional amount of work here! Shame I just finished bowling Australia out, but I'll make the changes, bat and see how we go with them.

Last edited:

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
Forget the sliders, nice excel work!

Seriously though, excellent stuff. I've said it before you guys are keeping this game alive while BA get their house in order.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Forget the sliders, nice excel work!

Seriously though, excellent stuff. I've said it before you guys are keeping this game alive while BA get their house in order.
Thank you SO much for this. I can't tell you how much it improves the experience for me.
You're both welcome, and yes, the excel work took longer than I'd have liked haha

Fingers crossed you both have good experiences with the sliders, and the new modifications. Let us know how you get on!

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Change Log

England

View attachment 261782

And from Moeen:

View attachment 261783

Australia

View attachment 261784

Here's Moeen:

View attachment 261785

Asia

Jimmy:
View attachment 261786
Moeen:
View attachment 261787

South Africa

Jimmy:
View attachment 261788

Moeen:
View attachment 261789

View attachment 261790

NZ

Jimmy:
View attachment 261791
Moeen:
View attachment 261792

West Indies

Jimmy:
View attachment 261793
Moeen:
View attachment 261794

Fielding

Added functionality

Home and Away sliders

Slider modifiers

• Batter friendly
  • Seam friendly
  • Spin friendly
  • Increased swing
  • Exaggerated spin
  • Dead pitch

Don't forget

User ability is a thing

The spreadsheet itself

WOW! Just wow. This an incredible amount of work. Thanks for all the efforts behind the scenes with this from all involved. I know sometimes putting in so much effort into these games can be so unrewarding at times but please know this is mightily appreciated.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
WOW! Just wow. This an incredible amount of work. Thanks for all the efforts behind the scenes with this from all involved. I know sometimes putting in so much effort into these games can be so unrewarding at times but please know this is mightily appreciated.
All good matey, and the same to you. I know your creations are a staple for a lot of folk, myself included.

Onwards and upwards!

Users who are viewing this thread