Status
Not open for further replies.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I feel like big ant should improve commentating, even ashes 2009 had a better commentary squad few commentators like ian bishop, shane Warne amd tony grieg were available in that game. I feel big ant should do the same, i feel like mark nicholas would be an great option and they should focus on conversations too rather than only focusing whats happening in game.
Conversations quickly get repetitive and boring

D

Dutch

I remember in Ashes 2009 Tony Greig telling his wonderful anecdote about his favourite line up for the umpteenth time as the stumps laid shattered as the last wicket of the test match had fallen.... any excuse to hear Tony is great but in the context of things an utter waste of time.....I switched it off.....

....I feel it is more immersive without commentary anyway.....out in the middle do you hear the commentary?

Chatter, crowd noises and ambient sounds are much more worthwhile and non repetitive

Last edited by a moderator:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I remember in Ashes 2009 Tony Greig telling his wonderful anecdote about his favourite line up for the umpteenth time as the stumps laid shattered as the last wicket of the test match had fallen.... any excuse to hear Tony is great but in the context If things an utter waste of time.....I switched it off.....
I don't know if they re-recorded James Taylor, or used better takes, but he's easily the best on this game, compared with being awfully bland on the previous one. He is at least giving it some welly.

They could refresh the script a little, improve the interaction (it sounds very much like it's three people recorded separately) and definitely improve the audio clip to in game action matching.

But unless it's more than cosmetic, using comms as a subtle hint system, it really does seem like a waste of resources to spend more time on commentary. And an impossible task. Even if they managed to make one test match sound unique, by the time you got the second you'd be getting the repetition. I'd sooner see improvements to ambient sound in matches. Not hearing that bloke shout every 60 seconds, having the Barmy Army sing about a player who has played for England in the last five years, crowd volume matching crowd size, situational increases or decreases, country appropriate (noisier in certain countries) all that kind of thing seems like it could be done better and be ultimately more satisfying.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
How does one improve commentary --- even a game like FIFA19 gets very repetitive -- you hear the same thing all the time.....and they have money!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
How does one improve commentary --- even a game like FIFA19 gets very repetitive -- you hear the same thing all the time.....and they have money!
And they only have to fill about 10-15 minutes per match. I used to turn that off or put it in a language I don't speak after about five games.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
For me, the gold standard of sports video game commentary is still from MLB: The Show on the PS4. 3 guys, all commentating as a trio, with a lead play by play guy and two others providing really quite specific and timely analysis throughout.

It works so well and always sounds authentic as there’s always loads of specific lines for situations that occur. The logic for when certain lines fire and how they all interlink is the best I’ve heard. This is from a few years ago as well.

Unsure Big Ant has that kind of budget, but it’s something to aspire to for sure.

D

Dutch

They only time I might want a bit of commentary is in a highlights package:

Wonderful shot for four!
There goes his stumps!
Brilliant, brilliant catch in the deep!
He’s out, played all round that one (Standard line for anyone called Jennings!)

You get the idea....

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
its not so much conversation but context within the game for example here comes the 150 and the crowd applauses or they need 20 to win in 2 overs or this batsmen is hot he had scored 3 centuries in his last 5 innings,last overs before lunch lets see if they can hold out.Saying the player's name is a minimum really and not saying he is on debut when he isn't.None of this should be beyond them in what will be the 4th version of the game.We don't need famous tv commentators we need accurate ones that enhance the experience.I've said it before maybe even on this thread.The names of the most likely 1000 cricketers should be hard coded into the game with regular updates as players emerge.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I always turn the in game commentary off after a short while and do my own :p

N Jones

Club Captain
I don't know if they re-recorded James Taylor, or used better takes, but he's easily the best on this game, compared with being awfully bland on the previous one. He is at least giving it some welly.

They could refresh the script a little, improve the interaction (it sounds very much like it's three people recorded separately) and definitely improve the audio clip to in game action matching.

But unless it's more than cosmetic, using comms as a subtle hint system, it really does seem like a waste of resources to spend more time on commentary. And an impossible task. Even if they managed to make one test match sound unique, by the time you got the second you'd be getting the repetition. I'd sooner see improvements to ambient sound in matches. Not hearing that bloke shout every 60 seconds, having the Barmy Army sing about a player who has played for England in the last five years, crowd volume matching crowd size, situational increases or decreases, country appropriate (noisier in certain countries) all that kind of thing seems like it could be done better and be ultimately more satisfying.
Your spot on about crowd noise to size.I go to loads of English county matches and it's never that packed with that amount of noise

.Jambo.

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Crowd noise and ambience would be a nice tune up. If I play with headphones I can hear the same woman cackle every 90 odd seconds. Since I noticed it’s become damn annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread