Review Ashes Cricket 2009

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
First of all great detailed review Sureshot. A Respected one as well, considering you've tested it for over 5 days.

Secondly...oh dear :noway ....some major problems there that you've reported :( I had very high hopes for the game, especially after the 2nd Q&A from the developers.....another false dawn I suppose.......I just hope the full game it is "fun" to play as I'm enjoying the demo...

I really hope the developers stand by and support the game though, through the use of patches - that would be a saving grace for me.

Has any of the development team commented on the forums the past few days?? Or have any of them mentioned previously that they willl provide post release support, if required through patches?........Please someone tell me that they have

P

pcfan123

developers have been quiet since the release of the demo. I think a patch is unlikely .

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Thanks ....but thats not what I wanted to hear ...

BTW I can't believe that yet another cricket game is released without any stat trackers for players in a series.....I mean how hard can this be to implement ... Didn't BLIC99 even have this feature and thats like 10 years ago!?! :facepalm

Sureshot - have you noticed yet if the PS3 achievements records runs scored etc for each player in the series?

Can you call up other game stats like worm graphs/score comparisons /manhattans at anytime during an innings?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Can you call up other game stats like worm graphs/score comparisons /manhattans at anytime during an innings?
You can, yes. Worm, Manhattan, Run Rate, Wagon Wheel and Over By Over charts.

Sureshot

Executive member
No, you can look at Partnerships. Not Wagon Wheels. Though you get the 3D hawkeye in-game thing for that. No ability to look at it manually though.

Sureshot added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Sureshot - have you noticed yet if the PS3 achievements records runs scored etc for each player in the series?

How do you mean? There isn't anywhere which tracks it. You have to do it for yourself.

Re: Patching. Colin has sent an e-mail enquiring about this.

Sureshot added 3 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

^ interesting how the game has come by..and thanks for the review on bowling..something on the fielding too would be appreciated like new animations,spectacular diving stops,catches or AI blunders as we are used to..anything about the fielding you liked or hated.hope you are not annoyed at telling you to write more and more :D

i will surely buy the game even though there are a few bugs.am a PC user and confident that PC members can find a way to mod the game.and by the looks of it,the game has far fewer bugs than previous games , still thats not the way it should be.68% is ok for me as i know the low visual quality(also no AA) and lack of enough content and proper editor has affected the low scores.

it will be a better game against a human opponent.and i am going to look at this point :)

It's a decent game, it just has some really bad errors and a dodgy, at best, AI.

Fielding? Not much to say really. Catches on the boundary are a doddle, which is disappointing to some extent, as it's almost impossible to not catch one on the boundary. In-field ones can be tough. Wicket keeper catches off of slip, and in the covers are the quickest you need to react to. Throwing? Well. You pick an end. It's not too hard! ;)

hmarka - Not sure what you're trying to ask. I rated the game as it is, a cricket game.

Ricco_M

Club Captain
How do you mean? There isn't anywhere which tracks it. You have to do it for yourself.

Re: Patching. Colin has sent an e-mail enquiring about this.

I remember reading somewhere that you get points or achievements for scoring 500 runs in a series or taking 30 wickets etc. So surely there must be some form of stat tracking - but is it right that we can't access this in game? ie for team selection

It's good to hear that Colin has put this to them......fingers crossed then

kingoffuel

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Not a great game but not too bad. the menus look labored and cheap, reminds me of rickey ponting 07 on the mobile phone. graphics are ok but the night matches look as though ur playing a ps 2 version of the game. some of the achievement goals are nearly impossible to achieve. batting is still a bit unrealistic at times and is too simple. bowling has improved a tad which is good. somehow the keeper manages to throw down the stumps from a gully or leg slip position and there are way too many "classic catches" The game is passable but i dont think it was worth buying its just an updated version of 07 with better graphics and less licenced teams. 7/10

rockymazza

School Cricketer
Good honest review. Would be very nice if a patch was released to sort out the annoyances with run outs and bowling speeds in particular or even just the ability to customise the England and Australian sides so we can adjust the skills to what we see fit.

developers have been quiet since the release of the demo. I think a patch is unlikely .

Maybe the developers have been quiet because they are working on a patch!

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Good honest review. Would be very nice if a patch was released to sort out the annoyances with run outs and bowling speeds in particular or even just the ability to customise the England and Australian sides so we can adjust the skills to what we see fit.

Maybe the developers have been quiet because they are working on a patch!

I respect your optimism! :)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've not actually contacted Codies/Transmission about this yet. I remember in the Q&A Jamie saying that KP noticed the stats were wrong cos they updated as the series progressed. I'm guessing you can't access them or see the stats just for the series which kinda undermines the point of having them. On PC you could always set players stats to 0 at the start of a series but it's a total hassle and you still wouldn't be able to see it when you wanted.
I've actually had no problems with runouts. My main problem is going at less than 15 rpo in test matches. I bowled one Swann over for a world record 51 runs when trying to work out what the controls were (doesn't tell you joypad controls anywhere).

thevicky

Club Captain
I've not actually contacted Codies/Transmission about this yet. I remember in the Q&A Jamie saying that KP noticed the stats were wrong cos they updated as the series progressed. I'm guessing you can't access them or see the stats just for the series which kinda undermines the point of having them. On PC you could always set players stats to 0 at the start of a series but it's a total hassle and you still wouldn't be able to see it when you wanted.
I've actually had no problems with runouts. My main problem is going at less than 15 rpo in test matches. I bowled one Swann over for a world record 51 runs when trying to work out what the controls were (doesn't tell you joypad controls anywhere).

I had the run-rate issue too until I worked out that i wasn't thinking like a bowler...

I stopped trying to bowl wicket taking deliveries (big swingng outswingers, balls at the stumps) every ball and stuck to bowling consistent line and length tying the batsman down and throwing in the occasional variation... found that the run rate rarely got above 5 (in a test match on hard) even with the spinner...

Try it... pacing is not perfect but it can be dealt with...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well part of the problem is that I've got no idea to where to pitch. Where I think it a good length or where the computer thinks is a good length. I can't hit the stumps bowling on what is actually a good length in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread