Ashes Cricket 2013 Key Features Announced

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Exactly why I'm 'very much' looking forward to play the 'future' iterations.

As someone above mentioned it right, it robs me of a great feeling of continuity. I would rather order all my food at once and eat 'em rather than order a variety, eat it, travel back to the restaurant and do the cycle again. As ridiculous as it sounds, its what I feel.

If you are waiting for a perfect cricket game, you may as well give up now. Forget cricket, there hasn't been a perfect sports game ever. Even madden and FIFA have plenty of detractors. Fact is a video game can never really simulate real sports no matter how good the game is. Waiting for that "silver bullet" or nirvana video game which satisfies all will only get you disappointed. You need to figure what your priorities are and for most it would be the realistic gameplay.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If you are waiting for a perfect cricket game, you may as well give up now. Forget cricket, there hasn't been a perfect sports game ever. Even madden and FIFA have plenty of detractors. Fact is a video game can never really simulate real sports no matter how good the game is. Waiting for that "silver bullet" or nirvana video game which satisfies all will only get you disappointed. You need to figure what your priorities are and for most it would be the realistic gameplay.

EA C07 had everything I wanted, except that it was too easy. Big Ant seems to have ticked everything for me. So mine is not an utopian vision.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors

I'm totally confident that a fantastic cricket game WILL be released someday, and it's going to satisfy us all. It's just a matter of whether or not it will happen in our lifetimes.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
EA C07 had everything I wanted, except that it was too easy. Big Ant seems to have ticked everything for me. So mine is not an utopian vision.

Except the gameplay. EA07 only had a few directions in which ball could be hit and as a result a human opponent can keep you scoreless without much problem, nearly every shot traveled to the boundary, hardly any leg byes to speak of, AI which was either too conservative or too aggressive, yorkers which could be hit for 6s, you could get 2 nearly every time you hit to fielders on the boundary, no online gameplay, fielders who rarely dropped catches and sometimes magically slid from point A to point B on the field etc. There were plenty of gaps there as well.

I'm totally confident that a fantastic cricket game WILL be released someday, and it's going to satisfy us all. It's just a matter of whether or not it will happen in our lifetimes.

Not gonna happen. You only have to visit Madden & FIFA forums to see how many folks out there are still not happy with those games and they are ages ahead of cricket games. It's in the human nature to never be satisfied with what they have and will always crave more. As an example so many times you have heard folks talk about Brian Lara 99 as the perfect game but if a developer used that game as the baseline and made a few changes (360 degree shot selection) and published it, folks will be slating the same game.

Even if Ashes 2013 and Big Ant game is pretty good, folks will still find a way to be disappointed and in the next iteration more of the same as people's expectations would have grown exponentially. It's all about managing expectations as far as the "perfect" game is concerned and no game/publisher's can manage or meet everyone's.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Except the gameplay. EA07 only had a few directions in which ball could be hit and as a result a human opponent can keep you scoreless without much problem, nearly every shot traveled to the boundary, hardly any leg byes to speak of, AI which was either too conservative or too aggressive, yorkers which could be hit for 6s, you could get 2 nearly every time you hit to fielders on the boundary, no online gameplay, fielders who rarely dropped catches and sometimes magically slid from point A to point B on the field etc. There were plenty of gaps there as well.

Except for online gameplay everything else were pretty much covered by the mods. And it was 2005-06, I wasn't even interested in online gameplay back then.
I am now, and most of the games feature online gameplay now. I am a happy man.

savvart

Associate Cricketer
It's just a video game people...

My God, you want a realistic game with all the bits and pieces perfect. All I want is a game that is FUN, enjoyable and semi-realistic.

All the great sports games have severe flaws if compared to 'real' life experiences but they are made to be enjoyed. Get a 'real' life people... :wave

79cricket

Panel of Selectors

My God, you want a realistic game with all the bits and pieces perfect. All I want is a game that is FUN, enjoyable and semi-realistic.

All the great sports games have severe flaws if compared to 'real' life experiences but they are made to be enjoyed. Get a 'real' life people... :wave

A step up from ic2010 with a online mode that works is all i ask.:yes
Sure i want every feature we have asked for but i'm being realistic.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach

For many it isn't 'just' a video game. I would settle for semi-realistic for any other game in another other genre, but not cricket. If not for us hardcore followers who else will push the developers to produce a game that is respectful of the game and take it the next level?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Not much new info there then:noway.
Hopefully the new line and length bowling system will deliver, pardon the pun.

Same old, same old really. Every cricket game in recent history has had changing weather - but what is really required is weather that changes throughout the day, in other words a proper dynamic day/night/weather cycle.

Ditto the pitches - how many times have we heard it'll make a difference?

The fields you can set yourself - will the AI be able to play properly regardless of what field you set, or will there always be a go-to field setting to slow them down and/or take wickets?

As always, videos and demos will be what I'll base my decision on.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Same old, same old really. Every cricket game in recent history has had changing weather - but what is really required is weather that changes throughout the day, in other words a proper dynamic day/night/weather cycle.

Ditto the pitches - how many times have we heard it'll make a difference?

The fields you can set yourself - will the AI be able to play properly regardless of what field you set, or will there always be a go-to field setting to slow them down and/or take wickets?

As always, videos and demos will be what I'll base my decision on.

Let's face it bud, we are suckers for cricket games and not exactly spoilt for choice. If I were a betting man, my money would be on nearly all the PC folks to buy both the cricket games as soon as they come out :)

srk121

International Coach
Let's face it bud, we are suckers for cricket games and not exactly spoilt for choice. If I were a betting man, my money would be on nearly all the PC folks to buy both the cricket games as soon as they come out :)

Tbh, would wait a bit before getting Ashes 13 only due to fact that transmission/trickstar have created 4 cricket titles and yet none of them have been up to the standard. If after 2 months all is positive, then will purchase the game.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Tbh, would wait a bit before getting Ashes 13 only due to fact that transmission/trickstar have created 4 cricket titles and yet none of them have been up to the standard. If after 2 months all is positive, then will purchase the game.

Actually AC09 was pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread