Asia Cup 2018 - UAE (September 2018)

Who do you think will win the Asia Cup 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
DK got runs today but he struggled. I feel DK has lost his confidence after his horror show in England in the first 2 tests and his subsequent dropping from the team for the last 3 tests. The DK in display before the England series and after the England series, shows a very negative picture. I have a feeling he needs a mentor who can lift his mental spirits. Its too early to close his chapter.
It's very rare that someone gets given another opportunity at this level after such a long hiatus I feel like he needs to realise that and take the opportunity by the scruff of the neck, or else this will be yet another in a string of mediocre comebacks.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is it really too early to close his (DK) chapter though. I fail to see what role he can play.. He was touted as a possible finisher, but I just don't feel comfortable with that idea purely because of his technique and batting style. He had had moment of glory scoring that 8 ball 20-30, but those were proper cricketing shots rather than slogs. Which would be a great thing of this was early 2010s

The game has changed massively since we last won the champions trophy .. We need power hitters lower down the order. So that even if a bowler deceives you with a slower one or in cutter you have enough power to cross the ropes. DK can't do that imo. Someone like Raina was able to do so. Someone like Pant can do so

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think we need a revamp of thinking in ODIs. We are too hung up on the 2.0 phenomenon

We have been putting a lot of faith in the 2.0 versions of players, be it, Yuvraj or Raina or DK or MSD only to be let down with underwhelming performances in crucial games. We are going to accommodate MSD 2.0 for sure till the world cup, which is fine. I think he is past his prime but we can carry him because of his knowledge and experience. We all know Kohli needs him

Barring 2-3 players the test XI has to be quite different from the Odi XI and T20 XI... We need to get inspiration from the English team in this aspect. They did a massive overhaul of their limited overs team and they will now start as favorites for next year's world cup

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Is it really too early to close his (DK) chapter though. I fail to see what role he can play.. He was touted as a possible finisher, but I just don't feel comfortable with that idea purely because of his technique and batting style. He had had moment of glory scoring that 8 ball 20-30, but those were proper cricketing shots rather than slogs. Which would be a great thing of this was early 2010s

The game has changed massively since we last won the champions trophy .. We need power hitters lower down the order. So that even if a bowler deceives you with a slower one or in cutter you have enough power to cross the ropes. DK can't do that imo. Someone like Raina was able to do so. Someone like Pant can do so

DK in his 2.0 version was rarely given opportunities. He is just so unfortunate that the shadow of MS Dhoni is probably going to hang over his entire career. DK got that moment of glory that you talked about, but tell me how consistently has he even played for India in ODI's. Well the very fact that we want MSD to play tomorrow against Pakistan though MSD got 0 today and DK got 33, is a testament to the fact that DK has been treated shabbily due to the MSD factor that continues to hang over.

Also, I am really surprised that you are putting down a player who hits big shots with proper cricketing technique over players who slog their way through. DK can also slog. He is cheeky to the T (remember that scoop he played in that 'moment of glory' game where he almost lied down to the ground as he swept the ball for a six)? DK needs to stay.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Just going to drop this here.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Hk expect chasing will be easy vs india,if india beaten today and tomorrow, Shahtri might go before june 2019.

ha ha
India narrowly Escape but its Really cruel on behalf of ICC to
Removed HK from ODI STATUS

Bhumi

Club Captain
DK in his 2.0 version was rarely given opportunities. He is just so unfortunate that the shadow of MS Dhoni is probably going to hang over his entire career. DK got that moment of glory that you talked about, but tell me how consistently has he even played for India in ODI's. Well the very fact that we want MSD to play tomorrow against Pakistan though MSD got 0 today and DK got 33, is a testament to the fact that DK has been treated shabbily due to the MSD factor that continues to hang over.

Also, I am really surprised that you are putting down a player who hits big shots with proper cricketing technique over players who slog their way through. DK can also slog. He is cheeky to the T (remember that scoop he played in that 'moment of glory' game where he almost lied down to the ground as he swept the ball for a six)? DK needs to stay.
Frankly speaking Debutant Khalil Ahmed (3 for 48) deserved to play today vs Pakistan than freaking Sholay-Thakur.

Bhuvi/Khalil/Bumrah and 3 spinner includes Kedar (7/0/28/0)better than Hardik,I guess.(he has tendency to lick runs in his first 3 overs)

I think India might good vs Pakistan because ball not swing much plus Pakistan have only Shadab as their spin weapon besides part timer malik.Zaman had century vs India in champion trophy in eng.

Bhumi

Club Captain

No wonder why Shahtri liked Chota kika (33 runs yesterday)
But india need MSD more today than DK.I am oppose to includes two keeper in indian team, its better to have two
Allrounder than 2 keeper

DK's two century I guess in ODI vs much weaker team long time ago,i may be wrong but I think pandey too good at 4 and in great form now,better Fielder too.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Chahal couple of wickets short in becoming 3rd fastest indian bowler With 50 wickets in lesser matches (ODI)

Cong Kuldeep for 2nd Fastest 50 Wkts in odi for India.(yesterday)

Bhumi

Club Captain
HK exposing our odi weakness as well...

We keep setting up 'platforms' to launch in almost every game and then the launch never comes. We just implode to a below par score. And God forbid, if the platform fails then we are doomed to an even worse showing

We need to revamp our odi middle and lower middle order

Bhuvi, kuldeep, chahal can't save us

Got a bad bad feeling for tomorrow
India's first 3 player super duper if Pakistan take first two in first power play (1-10 overs) its very difficult to back into the game.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
oh, that was a pure failed attempt of sarcasm.

That's chautha for you, but you played that really well.

A thrashing and a slap on the face is needed or else the WC is gone which seems like even now.
-

Why? ICC will ban if any one commit such a crime. I think cricket is a gentleman game. Barbarism is an offense. Stay positive and enjoy this asia cup. I think your team Srilanka need some thrashing.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well played HK. You nearly took out the mighty one. In doing so, you've dented the confidence so much that Pakistan might look at India as the weaker team now.

Our middle-lower order has become a serious problem now. There is no firepower at all. Once you go past the 35th over, there are hardly any power hitters there. K.Jadhav seems way too overrated to me. Did you see him try and slog towards the midwicket region time and again and fail miserably? The bowler could see that from a mile away. I did not get his obsession with that shot.

With the decline of Yuvraj/Raina/Dhoni, we seem to have been found wanting in that department. We will need at least two power hitters at #6 and #7 to have any chance of chasing/setting targets in ODIs. H.Pandya has the ability but is not consistent. K.Pandya has had two successful IPL but not sure how he will perform at the international stage.

What HK have done yesterday will definitely have an impact today. I do not see India overcoming Pakistan today, especially with the potent attack that they have. Guess Bumrah will bowl another no-ball and India will pay the price.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That's chautha for you, but you played that really well.

A thrashing and a slap on the face is needed or else the WC is gone which seems like even now.
-

Why? ICC will ban if any one commit such a crime. I think cricket is a gentleman game. Barbarism is an offense. Stay positive and enjoy this asia cup. I think your team Srilanka need some thrashing.
yYzMcOjPXgxD1d5MHEG72xptw_eSy54uHEV1IAL_R7_-MmXYggSi50czLH5EmAoNvxlp3K4LbUXoj2ADGo2IyOAg3MspbaZExHIxdtWuAt1FOdhlsM5wYYwBR-v5FBTsgA=w220-h181-nc

Bhumi

Club Captain
https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-commentary/20743/ind-vs-pak-5th-match-group-a-asia-cup-2018

Ind vs Pak, Dubai

Starts at 05:00 PM IST (11:30 GMT), Sep 19

India vs Pakistan- Preview

Can the cricketing rarity that is an India-Pakistan One-Day International be inconsequential? Technically, yes.

But let's rewind a bit. In June 2017, Pakistan fans got the ultimate gratification in terms of score-keeping with their Indian peers with a Champions Trophy final victory. Sarfraz Ahmed said that the previous meeting doesn't have any bearing on the one coming up, but try telling that to the fans from both sides of the border.

The India-Pakistan rivalry is old, and the sub-plots are always fascinating. The two teams are coming up against each other in the UAE - the neutral venue where they have played the most against each other - after a period of 12 long years.

Since the start of the decade, India have had a 5-2 win-loss equation against Pakistan in ODIs. The two teams have only met at multi-team events where the overbearing pre-match narrative has been about whether Pakistan can break that hoodoo. One of those two wins came in the Asia Cup, but the inability to beat India in ICC events was still held against them. Until Champions Trophy 2017, of course. Now the scales have been tipped, the pressure has shifted, further adding to a fantastic rivalry that has sporadic renewals.

Hong Kong have also given Pakistan a few reasons to cherish. The Indian middle-order is still unconvincing, Bhuvneshwar Kumar went wicketless and for the majority of the Hong Kong chase, it appeared like they'd pull off an upset against India. They eventually didn't, but a thoroughly tested India might just be there for the taking.

The result of this game of course, will have no bearing on what happens ahead, to the extent that India will remain A1 in the seedings and play their Super Four fixtures in Dubai. But there's more to this match than the result. This will be just the first meeting - one sure to whet the appetite of the rivalry-famished fans - before the possibility of two more rendezvous, if they both end up in the final.

So, can the cricketing rarity that is an India-Pakistan One-Day International be inconsequential? Only technically, yes.

When: September 19, 2018, 3:30 PM Local time, 5:00 PM IST

Where: Dubai International Cricket Stadium

What to expect: It's the sort of fixture that even sapping Dubai heat won't have a bearing on. A packed house, braving the weather, is expected to grace the stadium. All the pitches used in the tournament so far have been slow, and Wednesday's is going to be no exception.

Team News:

India

India have a big overnight decision to make. Jasprit Bumrah has to return for the Pakistan clash, but it would be cruel on Khaleel Ahmed, if it is at his expense. Shardul Thakur had an ordinary evening, and should make way.

The next big call is in the top-order. The bench has Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul waiting to get in, but with Ambati Rayudu performing well and Kedar Jadhav doubling up as the sixth bowling option, only one player can be relegated to the bench - Dinesh Karthik. KL Rahul coming in would mean he either bats at 4 or takes No.3 and Rayudu moves a spot down.

If Pandya is indeed a player they cannot do without - which is likely to be the case - then Khaleel will have to be benched.

Probable XI: Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ambati Rayudu, KL Rahul/Dinesh Karthik, MS Dhoni, Kedar Jadhav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya/Khaleel Ahmed

Pakistan

Mohammad Amir has three wickets in eight ODIs in 2018 but Sarfraz Ahmed came to his strike pacer's defence in a press conference, even going to the extent of citing the example of Mohammed Shami, who he felt bowled well in the Tests in England but didn't have too many wickets to show for the effort.

There's logic in giving the left-armer a rest, considering they have enough similar fast bowlers to trouble the Indian batsmen and the fact that they've already made it to the Super Four stage.

Probable XI: Fakhar Zaman, Imam Ul Haq, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Sarfraz Ahmed, Asif Ali, Shadab Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Usman Khan, Mohammad Amir/Junaid Khan, Hasan Ali

Did you know:

- Pakistan opener Fakhar Zaman has three hundreds and a half-century in his last five ODI outings

- If Yuzvendra Chahal picks two wickets against Pakistan, he'll become India's third fastest to 50 ODI wickets (in 27 matches) - behind Ajit Agarkar (23 matches) and Kuldeep Yadav (24 matches).

What they said:

"People say this is Pakistan's home ground and you can say that, but I believe the conditions here are even for every team. The weather here is like it is in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Pitches are also similarly slow. So it isn't really home ground for anyone. It is an even ground for all." - Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed on whether his team enjoy home advantage.

Teams:

Pakistan (From): Imam-ul-Haq, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Sarfraz Ahmed(w/c), Asif Ali, Shadab Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Mohammad Amir, Hasan Ali, Usman Khan, Shan Masood, Haris Sohail, Mohammad Nawaz, Junaid Khan, Shaheen Afridi

India (From): Rohit Sharma(c), Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Dinesh Karthik, MS Dhoni(w), Kedar Jadhav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, K Khaleel Ahmed, Yuzvendra Chahal, Lokesh Rahul, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah

Users who are viewing this thread