Australia & South Africa's tour of Zimbabwe August-September 2014

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok sure, but can I get your thoughts on the test match?

Even if its was two elite teams, its impossible to give a proper assessment on either team especially ZIM based on a one-off test. I just see it as S Africa obligating their ICC FTP by giving ZIM a tour to help them get money, how they played means nothing.

ZIM showed nothing to convince me that they should have gotten back test status.

To your previous posts about whether playing more tests makes you better & whether BANG should have played more - well firstly other than the fact that cricket history doesn't prove that, i think the importance lesser nations like ZIM & Ireland place on playing tests is a bit misguided. Maybe in 2000 when B'desh joined, it was still the holy grail with only two formats around - however the T20 revolution should have changed their thinking:

Every test team took a long time to be good a tests:

- S Africa started in 1890 - didn't really pass minnow stage until early 1950s - 60 years

- Windies debut 1928 - became good after 1950 win vs ENG - 22 Years

- India debut 1932 - won first test in 1959 - 27 years

- NZ debut 1930 - won 1st test in 1955, didn't become properly competitive until 1961/62 series draw vs S Africa - 32 years

- PAK debut 1953 - won 1st series and became competitive quicker than any new nation test nation historically

- SRI debut 1983 - won 1996 world cup - been competitive ever since

- ZIM debut 1992 - looking strong in the 90s, collapse due to mugabe saga 2003

- BAN debut 2000 - no signs of reaching next level in tests

So clearly other than PAK, all teams took awfully long to be good at tests & that is not ideal. Back in the 20th century the MCC as a amateur governing body tried to spread the game the best they could. The problem was unlike FIFA they never had a proper global development plan, most countries was left on their own, which is why historically only AUS/ENG/WI/SA have been true # 1 test teams cause those nations at various points got their individual development/domestic system plans right.

The others haven't, but every nation (top 8) at some point since 1975 has won a 50 overs title which shows conclusively how hard it is to become good in tests.

As i always say cricket is in a unique position in the sporting world, where we have 3 formats of the game & i believe associates need to work their way up through the formats, play some A-team FC matches & crucially prove to the global cricket community that they have the fanbase or right development plans to build a test team.

The fanbase part of tests for new nations in the 21st century in KEY - cause we living in a sports society that likes quick games which is why T20 is catching on so quick. So associates & their fanbase need to be assessed up through the formats b4 we give them test status. Cause i believe we might have some cases where some associates might never subscribe the 5-day format.

B'Desh for example are 14 years - same time it took b4 SRI became elite and i see now signs of B'desh doing similar. Preferably they should have been playing only ODIs & T20 last 14 years & we would have judged their readiness for test via the aforementioned A-team tests. If B'Desh couldn't make a impact in such games, they shouldn't have gotten test status & the wasted last 14 years wouldn't have been necessary. Only thing B'Desh have going for them is that they clearly have the fanbase for any form of cricket - this is something i'm not convinced the other associates have this.

ZIM since the player exodus are a mess - of their team currently only Taylor, Masakadza, Chigumbura, Utseya look international standard. As you obvious know, their other good players who could make them probably even better than B'Desh such a Ervine bros, Ballance, Goodwin, De Grandhomme, Jarvis, Ireland, Taibu, Cremer have defected ZIM to play county cricket, for other nations or retired due to the Mugabe saga.

Since they were given back test status they have shown no evidence of improving. Their production line doesn't look good, maybe they need some targeted ICC help - but they shouldn't have test status ATM.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ZIM showed nothing to convince me that they should have gotten back test status.
They haven't played test cricket for a year and the way they fronted up to Steyn & co was admirable. There was no DRS so unfortunately a couple of the batsman fell victim to some poor umpiring. They nearly made it to 5 days and Nyumbu took a 5fer. Plenty of positives for Zimbabwe to take from this match heading into the next test series against Bangladesh and even the guys commentating were saying this.

Every test team took a long time to be good a tests:
Exactly! So instead of stripping them of their test status why not give them more test matches?

Since they were given back test status they have shown no evidence of improving.
Pakistan last year? This test as explained above...there's definitely some improvement there.

Their production line doesn't look good
Which players are to referring to?

As for the ODI today, this clearly isn't Zimbabwe's strongest side so I expected nothing but a defeat. Where's Vitori? I thought he was back after injury. Nice to see Jongwe get given a go.

War

Chairman of Selectors
They haven't played test cricket for a year and the way they fronted up to Steyn & co was admirable. There was no DRS so unfortunately a couple of the batsman fell victim to some poor umpiring. They nearly made it to 5 days and Nyumbu took a 5fer. Plenty of positives for Zimbabwe to take from this match heading into the next test series against Bangladesh and even the guys commentating were saying this.

Yes of course they didn't roll over & die - but it doesn't change the fact that you can't make any proper assessment of a team based on one test. If the recent ENG/IND series was only the Lord's test, we might have said ENG are officially in the dark ages & IND had no conquered their overseas demons.

I am not convinced S Africa played anywhere near 100% & who knows if more tests were played if ZIM wouldn't have been truly embarrassed.

Exactly! So instead of stripping them of their test status why not give them more test matches?

Because given the modern day cricket dynamics of 3 formats which i explained before, we don't need repeat the 20th century MCC decision to award teams test status or give them test so hastily. Unlike a sport like football where gap between international teams over all parts of the globe has closed significantly in the last 30 years - this doesn't happen in cricket especially test/ODIs. Its a insult to cricket statistics because when people look at top players record, what they did vs ZIM/BANG is always ignored.

Competition is more likely to happen in T20, so as i said i advocate ZIM & associates working their way up through the formats - just like how a club football team in England works their way up through the divisions before they reach the premiership.

Pakistan last year? This test as explained above...there's definitely some improvement there.

I don't want to sound like i'm discrediting a win, but PAK are a team that self implode so often - i'm not sure if that win was really a sign of ZIM improvement or PAK having one of their brain failures.

Which players are to referring to?

As for the ODI today, this clearly isn't Zimbabwe's strongest side so I expected nothing but a defeat. Where's Vitori? I thought he was back after injury. Nice to see Jongwe get given a go.

All of them expect Taylor, Masakadza, Utseya.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
de Villiers run out :lol funniest thing I've seen for a while.

stefan

International Coach
Not the best batting performance from us . Let it slip after the start QDK gave us but good bowling performance.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Not the best batting performance from us . Let it slip after the start QDK gave us but good bowling performance.
Yeah, did you see that de Villiers run out? it was hilarious.

Zimbabwe should be putting up more of a fight against this second string South African attack. They've missed a huge opportunity to win today as that run chase was more than doable.

stefan

International Coach
Its still decent attack even if it lacks the real star power that steyn/morkel/philander provides. Would like to see de lange and rillee get a game in the last game.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Brendan Taylor dropped by Zimbabwe :eek:

flake

County Cricketer
Selection is a shocker...absolute shocker.
Where is Chatara? Mushangwe? ... they play Jongwe after he misses curfew after the 1st ODI, and he keeps under performing...Panyangara seems to always get hit .. as does Kumongodzi...Mutambami can only play test cricket it seems. Dropping Taylor is jaw-dropping. Vitori may be expensive at times but he takes wickets and I rate him. Chatara is class but is nowhere to be seen. Sibanda is class but a bit out of form. This would be my XI...

1. Sibanda
2. Vermuelen
3. Masakadza
4. Taylor
5. Raza
6. Williams
7. Chigumbura
8. Utseya
9. Nyumbu
10. Vitori
11. Chatara
12. Mushangwe

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Selection is a shocker...absolute shocker.
Indeed, they need consistency in their selection (I was calling for this during the Afghanistan series).

Where is Chatara?
I'm assuming he's still injured from that blow on the shoulder in which he sustained from Steyn but if he's fit and has been overlooked for whatever reason then once again it's poor from Mangongo.

Mushangwe?
Once again it's a strange decision not to give Mushangwe a go ahead of the likes of Kamungozi.

they play Jongwe after he misses curfew after the 1st ODI, and he keeps under performing
I wasn't aware of that first part, he's still young and can learn from his mistakes. I think Jongwe needed to be exposed in this series just to see if he's 'ready' but it's clear that he isn't just yet, a few more seasons at franchise level is required for him.

Panyangara seems to always get hit .. as does Kumongodzi...Mutambami can only play test cricket it seems.
Panyangara needs to be persisted with, I really liked his bowling in the WT20 earlier on in the year when he was banging in Yorkers at the death on a consistent basis. Totally agree with Kamungozi, shouldn't be in the squad. Once again I think they should give Mutumbami more time, he showed what he's capable of during the test match but my only concern would be his batting position.

Dropping Taylor is jaw-dropping.
Yep, if he doesn't play against the Aussies then you KNOW that something's not quite right behind the scenes. Maybe he's pissed because they stripped him of the captaincy and him and Mangongo had an altercation...who knows?

Vitori may be expensive at times but he takes wickets and I rate him.
Yeah I also rate him, he was a bit off the pace in that last match but that's to be expected after returning from injury.

Sibanda is class but a bit out of form.
Vusi needs to start scoring some runs in ODI cricket otherwise he's dangerously close to being dropped, perhaps he should be moved lower down the order like he did in the WT20? Chigumbura could be moved up the order as that last innings of his shows that he's capable of batting at the top.

This would be my XI...

I'm not too sure about Vermeulen in the side tbh, i'd like to see Raza open with Vusi.

Here's my eleven for the next match against the Aussies:

1. Sibanda
2. Raza
3. Masakadza
4. Taylor
5. Williams
6. Chigumbura
7. Mutumbami
8. Utseya
9. Nyumbu
10. Chatara (Providing he's fit, if not then Panyangara)
11. Vitori

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Lol

Hamstring ?

Watson badly hurt his ankle if you hadn't already heard.

Michael Clarke is now in doubt for Australia's opening ODI match after injuring his hamstring at training. That is disappointing and worrying considering he has had 4 months away from any cricket all. Looking at the positives, this gives Phil Hughes a better chance of opening with Aaron Finch and the inclusion of Steve Smith into the squad looks even smarter because his level head and solid technique will be needed in the middle order in Clarke's absence. George Bailey captaining the Australian ODI team in Clarke's absence shouldn't be a problem because he has taken the reigns now for several matches as skipper and handled it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread