Big Bash League - General Discussion

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
BAN PERTH FROM BBL, make BBL fair again!
It's not even that. It's that aside from maybe the Sixers, nobody else can actually run their team competently - while I don't blame Heat management for not expecting finals, we could surely have signed another replacement overseas bat for Munro, and then not had to have played either Brown or Heazlett?

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
It's not even that. It's that aside from maybe the Sixers, nobody else can actually run their team competently - while I don't blame Heat management for not expecting finals, we could surely have signed another replacement overseas bat for Munro, and then not had to have played either Brown or Heazlett?
1- Heat really exceeded expectations (No Renshaw, Khawaja, Lasagna) & they nearly won it! (Bazley & Brown f up under pressure)

2- Looks at Hobart management in disgust!

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
(Bazley & Brown f up under pressure)
I still assert Brown's drop was inconsequential in the end. Sure it brings in Matt Kelly who's worse than Connolly, but who hit like 12 of the last 15? Not Connolly...

As for Hobart's management... too many hitters spoils the innings. Welcome to what I spent nine years learning as a Heat fan - you need the glue guy.
(On an unrelated note, we must resign McSweeney. When Usman's unavailable, he's the next best option)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Problem is there's probably not many available players that might improve the side because of the amount of cricket going on. SA20, UAE, BPL, Super Smash, NZ touring, England touring..

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Problem is there's probably not many available players that might improve the side because of the amount of cricket going on. SA20, UAE, BPL, Super Smash, NZ touring, England touring..
Literally anyone available is better than Heazlett (with the bat) or Brown (in the field)

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Literally anyone available is better than Heazlett (with the bat) or Brown (in the field)
Fakhar Zaman is not playing right now, Heat signed him for like one game last year.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I still assert Brown's drop was inconsequential in the end. Sure it brings in Matt Kelly who's worse than Connolly, but who hit like 12 of the last 15? Not Connolly...
This is a poor argument though, because Brown's drop also conceded a single that brought Hobson onto strike. Instead, new man Kelly has to face.

(On an unrelated note, we must resign McSweeney. When Usman's unavailable, he's the next best option)
Also like... bowl him more. There's no point having three right-arm-130k bowlers when you're failing to bowl the guy who can tie the runs up like McSweeney does. And bat Bartlett at number seven or eight already because he's better than Bazley.

Only person I could come up with (as an opener), having looked at some stats, is Ed Pollock, pretty decent pinch hitter. Although he averaged 11.44 in the Blast last season, albeit scoring at 151.
Temba Bavuma was available until a day or so ago. Other than that, options include Steven Croft, Wayne Madsen, Michael Pepper, Tom Alsop and Josh Cobb

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
This is a poor argument though, because Brown's drop also conceded a single that brought Hobson onto strike. Instead, new man Kelly has to face.
Well yes, but actually no - they didn't get a single ball of the Johnson over to the fence even with the drop; it was the overs either side of that that killed us.

As for McSweeney, we did on almost every pitch - I suspect the thought was the Optus wicket wouldn't have suited him. That said, I would probably have given him the 14th and thusly backdated Bartlett

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
BBL Season Review - Adelaide Strikers
Final position: 7th (5-9)
Top scorer: Matt Short (458 runs)
Top wicket taker: Wes Agar (18 wickets)
If the season was a song: What Can I Do If The Fire Goes Out? - Gang Of Youths

Tale of the tape - Adelaide were a dominant force early in the BBL. Matt Short and Chris Lynn (somehow) were tearing apart opposing attacks, while Rashid Khan, Wes Agar and Henry Thornton were taking wickets. After 20 matches, they were in the Qualifier positions; after 36, they were comfortably playoffs. But the bottom fell out when Rashid and Lynn left for other leagues and the team started dropping Thornton for no apparent reason. Five losses on the trot followed, causing them to plummet out of playoff contention.

Season Reviews:
:bwl: Wes Agar - The most consistent wicket taker on the Strikers, Wes was often expensive but 18 wickets at 20 is a solid tournament. B

:bwl: Cam Boyce - Nobody's ever going to replace Rashid, but Boyce at least showed why he's a capable backup who deserves a contract. C+
:wkb: Alex Carey - Took a couple games to find his footing but his innings in the final game could in other circumstances have got them into finals. B
:bwl: Harry Conway - Why was he ever picked over Thornton? F
:ar: :os: Colin de Grandhomme - His stats undersell his impact; he was by far Adelaide's best middle order bat, and handy with the ball on seaming decks. B-
:bat: Ryan Gibson - Didn't really do anything, but was put into a hard position for his first rep-level cricket in 12 months. D
:bat: Travis Head - Needed so much more from him. A grisly tournament that might have cost Adelaide F

:bat: :os: Adam Hose - Adelaide did it last year with Cockbain, and again this with Hose. A valuable late draft pick, even if his form tailed off B-
:bat: Henry Hunt - He was often lambasted for being an anchor in his few games, but he was better than every other option Adelaide tried. C-
:bat: Tom Kelly - Clearly not quite ready for a full-time finishing role, but it's hard to fail a guy for being inexperienced. C-
:bat: Chris Lynn - I genuinely didn't think Lynn had it left in him. Maybe it was better management, as I've said for a while the Heat need A
:ar: Ben Manenti - Woefully misused (he's in no way a T20 #7), and probably signed to the wrong team to his skillset. That said, his bowling wasn't what was needed D-
:wkb: Harry Nielsen - I've considered him a bad Carey replacement before, but truth was he earnt his spot this year. Underrated breakout for him B
:ar: :os: Rashid Khan - Not his best season by his high standards, but that was simply because with more weak links elsewhere in the Strikers bowling, teams were prepared to wait him out B
:ar: Matt Short - If Adelaide make the postseason, Short is probably the MVP. A ridiculous season that should see Aussie selection A+
:bwl: Peter Siddle - I'm shocked he was this bad, but he was also clearly hobbled all season. Has age finally caught up with him? D
:bwl: Henry Thornton - Dropped thrice for absolutely no reason, after taking 5/3 against the Thunder. Probably cost the Strikers' season A
:bat: Jake Weatherald - In the category of sad declines, here's Adelaide's entrant. One of a few stars from five years ago who need urgent help F

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
BBL Season Review - Brisbane Heat
Final position: 5th (6-7-1), made The Final
Top scorer: Jimmy Peirson (334)
Top wickettaker: Michael Neser (26)
If the season was a song: Fight Song - Rachel Platten (I'm so sorry)

Tale of the tape - The Heat had the opposite campaign to the Strikers. After being on 5 points after 9 games, they came home strong, losing just two of their remaining nine games they ended up playing - one against Hobart where a late collapse blew our chance at third, and then the Final, which is defensible considering it was Perth away. More encouragingly, Jimmy Peirson has finally figured out what seemingly nobody else has: the Sixers and Scorchers are so good because they don't make five changes to their starting XI every year.

Season Reviews:
:ar: Xavier Bartlett - We must play him more. He's a genuine all rounder who bowls 140 and hits a long ball, and is definitely more consistent than James Bazley. Just don't ask him about Dre Russ B+
:ar: James Bazley - Everyone's going to remember the final, but it was the worst game not only of his season but of his career. Take out that and his Renegades performance and he'd have 16 wickets at an average of under 22 and an economy of under 8. Bad season with the willow, though, which does offset it a bit B-
:wkb: :os: Sam Billings - Didn't find his full form here (aside from one 79) but did provide some good entertainment. Not a failure by any means, but not his standard C
:bat: Josh Brown - This one is polarising. Brown didn't make another 50 after his explosion against the Sixers, but when you don't have four of them in the top four like last year, having one top order hitter who comes out solely to take on the bowling is fine, and when that guy strikes at 150, there's no issues there. B
:bat: Max Bryant - I never want to see him open again, but Bryant seems like he's found a great role at 6 (at least when the Test guys aren't here). Overall, though, I have to take into account his early season opening, so he gets a C
:bat: :os: Sam Hain - We gotta bring this guy back full time next year A
:bat: Sam Heazlett - This guy's catch of Hardie was the reason we took the final so deep, but his slow innings may have been the reason we lost it. I won't fail him though, because of a) the fielding and b) the fact he got called on at extremely late notice for the two biggest games of the season C-
:bwl: Spencer Johnson - What a find. Only nine wickets taken, but let's be honest, the Italian Stallion won us two, even maybe three games. Also the most economical 150+ guy I've ever seen A
:bat: Usman Khawaja - The marquee signing, Ussie delivered big in Finals even if he was a tad quiet in our last few regular season games. He was POTM against the Thunder, and then delivered another fifty in his final game of the season. B+ and it's an A if he's available for longer
:bwl: Matthew Kuhnemann - We obviously messed up in not keeping Hooley Dooley, but Kuhnemann offset the blow, as he took 16 extremely cheap wickets while being the only guy other than the skipper to play every game. A-
:bat: Marnus Labuschagne - Like everyone from the Tests bar two, Marnus took a couple games to find form, but he found it at a key time - his best innings was against the Thunder in the first final. Great in the field, horrific in his one over bowled C+
:ar: Nathan McSweeney - The most underrated of the Heat finds this year. McSweeney made 84 on season debut when we were missing half our side, and while he didn't pass 50 again, averaging 41 at 135 is completely fine for a guy not even in our 18-man. Resign him A-
:bat: :os: Colin Munro - This guy is the overseas player I want us to retain next year. Had a few failures, but averaged 35 at 150 (astonishingly, a strike rate better than even Josh Brown). Also, had a great 98 A-
:ar: Michael Neser - MY MVP A++++
:wkb: Jimmy Peirson - It seemed like Chris Lynn's captaincy style was bad Bazball, but Jimmy's is the calculated, good kind. We didn't score 160 in 10 overs at any point this year, but what we did do was win games when it mattered, and a lot of it was down to the captaincy (and middle order stability) this guy brought, although form deserted him through our slump B
:bat: Matt Renshaw - We aren't playing finals without the Renshaw Game. Although he was a bit sluggish for the rest of the competition, he fell ill twice and had a child in between, so there are some excuses. B-
:bwl: Mark Steketee - Took wickets in the games he played. Also got completely shelled in the games he played D
:bwl: Mitch Swepson - The inverse of Steketee. I could have got a better bowling average than Swepson, but he kept batsmen quiet at least. Still, not a pass D
:ar: :os: Ross Whiteley - Awful with the bat, which killed his chances of even staying in the team when the Test guys got back. The one positive thing I'll say is that he won us that barnburner against the Sixers with 2/2 in his final over, which, given we made finals by one win... D

Users who are viewing this thread