Bowlers mixing it up?

bobmotty

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
first class stats are amazing - he's the wk for the mixed up bowler XI ( will think of a better name for this side with time) How did you get stats so quickly - cricinfo?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I remember one match where every single player in the Indian team had a bowl. Even Laxman and Dravid and Parthiv. I think Parthiv gave up the gloves for one over just to have a bowl and Dravid took over. Think it was against Australia (???). Not sure... maybe it was a dream. :P

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
sohummisra said:
I remember one match where every single player in the Indian team had a bowl. Even Laxman and Dravid and Parthiv. I think Parthiv gave up the gloves for one over just to have a bowl and Dravid took over. Think it was against Australia (???). Not sure... maybe it was a dream. :P
It did happen, against the West Indies in 2002. I think this may have been the match where Kumble was bowling with his face almost completely bandaged due to a broken chin.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Hmm perhaps. And he had still come and picked up a few wickets. I just remember seeing the online scorecard in school and wondering what had happened.

qwertychooka

School Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
Plenty. Although it's rare they do it succesfully.

Alfred Lyttelton once took 4/19 in an Ashes Test bowling underarm lobs. But the best wicketkeeper/bowler of all time is easily Tatenda Taibu of Zimbabwe. Check out these stats:

Tests: bowled once took 1/27
First Class: 22 wickets, average 19.59, best of 8/43
ODI: 2 wickets, average 30.5
Limited Overs: 12 wickets, average 23.08, best of 4/25
Under 19s ODIs: 12 wickets, average 10.75, best of 4/30
Actually, you should look at Tim Zoehrer, very handy bowler:
FIRST-CLASS
(career: 1980/81 - 1993/94)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 147 206 25 5348 168 29.54 7 27 423 38

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 581.1 118 1768 38 46.52 5-58 1 0 91.7 3.04
And this bit is in his profile:
He toured England in 1989 and 1993 - when he finished second to Shane Warne in the first-class bowling averages with 12 wickets at 20.83...
Although his figures arent quite as good as Taibu, he does have a very strong case...

Last edited:

sachinisgod

International Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
It did happen, against the West Indies in 2002. I think this may have been the match where Kumble was bowling with his face almost completely bandaged due to a broken chin.
yessss! found a flaw in the flawless statistician's stats ... :)

just jokin...but Kumble broke his chin in the test in which Ajay Ratra became the youngest w/k to score a test century and Parthiv was still in Ahmedabad dreaming about being in his place which eventually he grabbed in the England tour that followed...

i donno if such an incident occured but if it did and if it happened against WI then it must be when the WI toured India later that year...

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Karson Ghavri for India was a bowler who was able to bowl medium pace as well as spin. India had only Kapil Dev as fast bowler and Karson Ghavri used to be his partner. Later when the match progrssed he used to bowl spin with the old ball. He was a useful bat too. I had a similar conversation like this with my uncle and I think he said that Karson was ambidextrous too. He was naturally a left hander but bowled right handed in some matches too (I do not know the credibility of this though).

For more on Ghavri see here

Users who are viewing this thread