Story Coming Of Age - A Bangladesh Story [ICC 2006]

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bangladesh One Day Squad Announced

After a thrilling final test match all the players chosen during the test series have been carried forward to the one day series after some good performances. The Australians did not change any members from their squad of 18 and many of the test players are expected to stay in the team for the One Day Series

There was a surprise inclusion in the Bangladeshi squad with Shafaq Al-zabir named in the 15-man squad. Shafaq showed a lot of promise in the domestic competition by taking 46 wickets at 13.61. ?Shafaq showed a lot of promise but with the good form of the Bangladesh test team I wouldn?t expect him to be put straight into the line up? said coach Dav Whatmore who seemed to be showing a lot more about his team than usual. ?We brought in the experience of Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh and Khaled Mashud to help out our younger player? he added.

The wicket keeper issue that began at the start of the series has been resolved with Mushfiqur Rahim the leading batsmen in the test series but there is still a lot of talk about the opening role due to Tamim Iqbal?s lack of form. ?We included him in the squad because he is a good one day player who is not afraid of taking on the bowler, which is something Javed (Omar) lacks? said Bangladesh chief selector Faruque Ahmed

?I think we showed the world that we are not the minnows that they think we are? said Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar ?If we can get our batsmen and bowlers firing at the same time I think we will get some good results? he added. The one day series commences on the 23rd of April at Dhaka and the Tigers will be looking to build on their brilliant performance in the test series.

Bangladesh One Day Squad
Habibul Bashar (c), Shahriar Nafees (vc), Abdur Razzak, Aftab Ahmed, Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mohammed Ashraful, Mohammed Rafique, Mushfiqur Rahim, Rajin Saleh, Saqibul Hasan, Shafaq Al-zabir, Syed Rasel, Tamim Iqbal

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
One Day Series Preview

The Bangladesh cricket team has never been this confident in a series against Australia. A lot of their young players proved their worth in the Test series but a few of them didn?t hit their straps. Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar said ?Everyone in the side are playing for each other and when a team does that it usually leads to results?.

The Australians coped a bit of a scare in the 2nd Test with a brilliant cameo from Brett Lee with the bat eventually winning the test after a collapse. ?I don?t think our players are in bad form its just that we have been taken by surprise by the Bangladeshi?s and we are going to have to work for each victory? said Ricky Ponting who seems to be running into some good form before the one day series.

There is still some competition for spots in both sides but nothing more than Javed Omar and Tamim Iqbal?s battle for the opening role. ?Tamim is potentially a better batsmen but with his recent performances there is a bit of a selection crisis? said commentator Athar Ali Khan ?With their recent performances you would think that they were the number 2 side in the world and I think that would be the biggest complement ever given to Bangladesh cricket? added his commentary partner Greg Blewett.

The first match is in Dhaka on the 23rd of April and the series is expected to be a sell out with a lot of Bangladesh fans enjoying the good performances for their side and it should be quite an interesting series.

One Day Itinerary
1st One Day International: Bangladesh v Australia - 23rd of April 2006
2nd One Day International: Bangladesh v Australia - 26th of April 2006
3rd One Day International: Bangladesh v Australia - 28th of April 2006

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
1st ODI - Pre Match

In the Box

AAK: Here we are the start of the one day series between Australia and Bangladesh and its expected to be a high quality clash I’m your commentator Athar Ali Khan and I’m joined by former Australian test batsmen Greg Blewett who is here on behalf of Fox Sports back in Australia

GB: Thanks Athar, I think this match is going to be a cracker and it should set the tone for the rest of the series

AAK: Well the Tigers certainly gave the Aussies something to worry about in the test series lets just hope their good form continues into today.

GB: If the Bangladeshi’s can get all 3 facets of their game working together they will be a force to be reckoned with.

AAK: We now go down to Damien Fleming for the toss

With the Captains

DF: Welcome to a sunny day here at Dhaka there is a little bit of cloud cover here at the moment but a big mass of rain clouds is coming our direction and should arrive during the second innings. The pitch is one for the spinners and it appears like it will deteriorate quite quickly so if you win the toss look to bat first. We are here with the two captains and its Habibul Bashar to call.

HB: Tails!

DF: and it’s a … Heads! Big toss to win, what do you want to do Ricky?

RP: I think we will have a bowl first up.

DF: That’s an interesting decision what are you thoughts behind it?

RP: During the test series the Bangladeshis struggles with the Bat especially against the pace of Brett Lee and we think if we can get them our for a low total today not only will it ruin their hopes for this match it might just win us the series as well

DF: Any changes to your test side?

RP: Andy Bichel is now carrying towels and drinks

DF: Hahaha, thanks Punter, Habibul your batting first is this what you wanted?

HB: I thought that the toss would win the match for them if it went their way but Ricky chose to bowl, which shocked me even more than you

DF: It was an interesting decision, any changes to your side?

HB: No, Tamim Iqbal is still in despite what the media has said and his poor form

DF: Thanks Habibul, back to Athar and Greg in the box

Back in the Box

AAK: Very interesting decision that had some reasoning behind it, any thoughts?

GB: Even if their batsmen are struggling it doesn’t mean that you should give them the advantage in the game, stupid decision that reminds me off when Ricky Ponting chose to bowl during the Ashes series after Glenn McGrath hurt his ankle.

AAK: The game is going to start in 10 minutes time. The Bangladeshis have been put into to bat and it should be very interesting to watch. We hope you join us for the start of the first one day international between Bangladesh and Australia, it should be an interesting match-up.

Uttara Bank Question of the Day (Rep Points)

After the test series against Australia there was two record partnerships broken, which player was involved in both of those partnerships?

Last edited:

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
1st ODI - Australia v Bangladesh - 23rd of April 2006 at Dhaka

The First 15

The Bangladesh batsmen walk out and get ready as the Australians will be looking to make their decision at the coin toss pay off. Tamim Iqbal is facing Brett Lee in the first over and is looking to prove his spot after a lot of controversy from his inclusion in today’s match.

Tamim has decided to take up the attack to the Australian bowlers moving quickly to 16 runs off just 3 overs belting Brett Lee around the ground. Soon enough the break through comes with Shariar Nafees falling victim to some tight bowling from Glenn McGrath departing for just 2 which brings Aftab Ahmed to the crease.

image1dr8.png

Aftab Ahmed immediately hit a boundary upon his arrival as Tamim Iqbal continued to dominate the Australian bowlers until Aftab Ahmed fell on 7 as Glenn McGrath got his second wicket of the match.

image2dv1.png

Mohammed Ashraful makes his way to the crease only for Brett Lee to clean bowl him moments later leaving for just 5 and putting Bangladesh in a horrible position with only Tamim Iqbal showing some fight

image3ww1.png

Captain Habibul Bashar makes his way out in just the 9th over as the Australians take the first powerplay. Tamim Iqbal and Habibul Bashar look to consolidate with Tamim Iqbal played very well until he edges a ball through to Adam Gilchrist and goes for a very well made 41, an innings which should hold off Javed Omar for at least a few matches.

image4fb1.png

All-Rounder Saqibul Hasan makes his way out to the middle looking to bat well after a lack of runs during the test series. He survives the three remaining balls as the drinks come out onto the field.

Bangladesh Innings - 66/4 after 15 overs
(Iqbal 41, McGrath 2-28)

Current Batsmen
H.Bashar 9 (8)
S.Hasan 0 (3)

Current Bowlers
G.McGrath 7-0-28-2
J.Gillespie 3-0-15-1

Session Highlight: Tamim Iqbal's return to form​

Last edited:

freddiw

Panel of Selectors