Don Bradman 17 review - Buyers beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Had a bit of a play with the multipliers for bounce, with 100 pitch bounce, 100 ball bounce and a hard pitch, was able to get the ball to around head height, I must conclude however that the L1 and R1 length modifiers appear to do nothing whatsoever...

Any also that without the modifiers, its stomach height at best...

In the tutorial you must hold R1/L1 then RESELECT the length you want to bowl and it will change it, ie if you selected SHORT, press R1, press SHORT again, then it will bowl it shorter! (Try this, see if it works)

D

Deleted member 9102

This is a discussion forum, not a development/bug reporting sub-forum - therefore even when the posts are non-constructive or emotive, they are still valid contributions because this serves as a place to voice and share opinions with other users and promote discussion whether it's positive or not. Although the regulars here know what Big Ant are like from how they supported DBC14, and have kept up to date with any post made with DBC17 news, not everyone can/will do this, especially when there's no sticky/FAQ linking to such info.

I'd say that the emotive stuff is almost equally valuable as feedback as the technical stuff anyway... If people feel wronged/ripped-off/disappointed then why is that? It's easy to just bury your head in the sand, put these people on the "ignore list" and label them as idiots, but in a significant number of cases the root cause of this feeling of discontent is down to things that could have been done better at some stage.

Want targeted, technical feedback? Use the bug reporting thread or have a development sub-forum.
Otherwise, be thick-skinned and accept that there will be emotive and occasionally heated discussion...

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is a discussion forum, not a development/bug reporting sub-forum - therefore even when the posts are non-constructive or emotive, they are still valid contributions because this serves as a place to voice and share opinions with other users and promote discussion whether it's positive or not. Although the regulars here know what Big Ant are like from how they supported DBC14, and have kept up to date with any post made with DBC17 news, not everyone can/will do this, especially when there's no sticky/FAQ linking to such info.

I'd say that the emotive stuff is almost equally valuable as feedback as the technical stuff anyway... If people feel wronged/ripped-off/disappointed then why is that? It's easy to just bury your head in the sand, put these people on the "ignore list" and label them as idiots, but in a significant number of cases the root cause of this feeling of discontent is down to things that could have been done better at some stage.

Want targeted, technical feedback? Use the bug reporting thread or have a development sub-forum.
Otherwise, be thick-skinned and accept that there will be emotive and occasionally heated discussion...

Yeah I've been thinking about this a lot today. It shouldnt be pro or anti Big Ant, because they are singlehandedly representing a genre of gaming here, and it happens to be my favourite one. There are no other people making cricket games, so I'll give them all the support I can.

However they are developers who take feedback into account, and with that territory comes the internet, one of the most unpleasant places on earth. And trust me, cricket gaming is mild, take a look at the flight sim community and a certain game called No Man's Sky to see the calibre of angry person we walk past in the street every day.
So the circle of angry people being met with angry responses gets more and more crazy.

BA are under no obligation to engage with the community, but they do. And this is where the problem starts. They don't seem to filter between the people with legitimate problems they want to address, and the people they perceive as trolls with a sense of entitlement. So back comes some fairly aggressive responses to already aggressive people, and the circle of aggression gets deeper and deeper. I for one think the graphics are a step backwards from DBC14, but I wouldn't raise that before now because firstly there is nothing that can be done about that, and secondly, some of the responses to that idea have been pretty ordinary, so I myself feel caught between helping a developer who I really value and avoiding a confrontation on the internets when I don't want to have one.

I think the ignore button should be used more freely by BA, but they don't have to call people dicks in the process, they don't have to tell them they are being ignored, just help the people who have a legitimate and solveable problem if you want to, in your time, because on the one hand you are the boss because it is your game, and on the other we can just get our money back if we don't like it.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
TBH I dont know if Big Ant is ever going to recover from this financially to be able to put out a cricket game again.

nor will I be talking it up to customers at work either (EB).

Guy who works at EB Games worries about Games Developer not being able to make games. That's your $13.50 an hour well earned, buddy.

i can count on one hand the times I (or anyone) have engaged in conversation with the poorly dressed, schlubby, socially awkward, body odor riddled staff members at EB Games on advice about any products they have in store...

That number is zero.

Confident your job requires you to adequately bag the product I purchase and work the eft-pos machine correctly. Outside of that, "talking it up to customers" is about as annoying as the concept of brick-and-mortar stores being relevant in 2016.

[DOUBLEPOST=1482001975][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are they paid by Big Ant?

Only in hugs, but they need patching to be more aggressive.

I notice Biggs' butt ugly, sheep destroying, bald head is in the game as an umpire.

I would prefer smooth, well manicured, aerodynamically sound bald head... but semantics. Can you expand further how my head is disrupting your gameplay and immersion experience? Please cite with screengrabs and detailed notes where possible.

Last edited:

bumba

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
New Zealand
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Don Bradman Cricket17=Ashes Cricket 2013. Do I need to say more?

D

Deleted member 9102

Yeah I've been thinking about this a lot today. It shouldnt be pro or anti Big Ant, because they are singlehandedly representing a genre of gaming here, and it happens to be my favourite one. There are no other people making cricket games, so I'll give them all the support I can.

However they are developers who take feedback into account, and with that territory comes the internet, one of the most unpleasant places on earth. And trust me, cricket gaming is mild, take a look at the flight sim community and a certain game called No Man's Sky to see the calibre of angry person we walk past in the street every day.
So the circle of angry people being met with angry responses gets more and more crazy.

BA are under no obligation to engage with the community, but they do. And this is where the problem starts. They don't seem to filter between the people with legitimate problems they want to address, and the people they perceive as trolls with a sense of entitlement. So back comes some fairly aggressive responses to already aggressive people, and the circle of aggression gets deeper and deeper. I for one think the graphics are a step backwards from DBC14, but I wouldn't raise that before now because firstly there is nothing that can be done about that, and secondly, some of the responses to that idea have been pretty ordinary, so I myself feel caught between helping a developer who I really value and avoiding a confrontation on the internets when I don't want to have one.

I think the ignore button should be used more freely by BA, but they don't have to call people dicks in the process, they don't have to tell them they are being ignored, just help the people who have a legitimate and solveable problem if you want to, in your time, because on the one hand you are the boss because it is your game, and on the other we can just get our money back if we don't like it.
I think that overall, the interaction with BA is has contributed greatly towards the quality of the final version of DBC14, and without playing 17 yet, this forum has clearly had a considerable impact when you see that so many of the biggest requests seen on here were implemented in the game.

However, to me it seems that some go way too far in that "appreciation" and shut down/belittle anyone with complaints about the game or the developer, and almost expect everyone to act as an employee of BA. Only the most enthusiastic of followers of the game will want to be alpha/beta/QA testers and go out of their way to provide detailed technical feedback... Doing that should not be an expectation we place on members of the community, especially now the game has a full release...

When the only part of the game out there was the Academy beta, it was fair to call people out for complaining about things because it was clearly a work-in-progress beta and not representative of the end product... Now though, similar complaints should not be ridiculed, nor should there be an expectation for the users to fully explain and justify their views. If they want to be involved enough to do that, then great! However some people simply don't care enough to do this... They just want a cricket game to play and occasionally feel like talking about it with other people on here.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Don Bradman Cricket17=Ashes Cricket 2013. Do I need to say more?

I mean what the hell? What on Earth are you trying to get at? Please explain how your comment will improve the game? This is literally the most obnoxious, self-involved, ignorant comment I've ever seen. Do I need to say more my ass. Get your thumb out your cock and stop trying to ride the hype.

I'm generally shocked. That is what Big Ant get. 4+ years of cricket gaming with to-the-minute response and improvement and they get some little privileged idiot making a stupid comparison with no reasons and NO VALIDITY WHAT SO EVER.

Please sir, leave this forum. Sell your game. You deserve nothing more then some crap Cricket 07 rip off...

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Where's the .gif of the Ashes Cricket fielder running off into the sunset, through the stadium, for all of eternity?

I think we're at the point that hyperbolic trolling by people that didn't actually play the game or that were around at the time of Ashes Cricket, simply don't understand the context with which the games are utterly incomparable.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm glad I've woken up to this thread having gone in the 'respectful' direction as requested...not.

If you want to make your voice heard that's fine, just try not to be a msssive arsehole about it. Goes for most people in here - on both sides of the fence.

savvart

Associate Cricketer
The facts are that the game has passed QA at both Sony and MS, if they had the experiences reported in this thread then the game would not have been able to go into their production facilities. Obviously our QA has not had the experiences reported either.

We are doing all we can to work out why a minority of purchasers are having issues, the main variables being the patch (some users have not installed it, and once installed their issues have gone), and the complexity of the Academy downloaded teams (which we have found an issue related to censored teams/stadia).[DOUBLEPOST=1481979792][/DOUBLEPOST]To the above, there are stats. Please be rational and reasonable.

This is my version of my downloaded Xbox game. Is it the patched version???

v0.1.0.1.0749

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread