Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Am i the only one finding it difficult to get edges played 2 or 3 test matches in a rown and im beating the bat a lot but only had a couple of snicks.

Also finding it difficult bowling on career as the ai seem to have little respect for good bowling. There is a lack of consistency a few deliveries will be played on merit and then ill bowl a few more accurate deliveries that get smashed around.

Snicks to keeper are def there to be had, bit thicker to edges are very Very rare!

Ross any tips? Or do you feel they are a little too rare aswell!

Loving this game, wish i could bowl on veteran and bat on pro though ha!

Am i the only one finding it difficult to get edges played 2 or 3 test matches in a rown and im beating the bat a lot but only had a couple of snicks.

Also finding it difficult bowling on career as the ai seem to have little respect for good bowling. There is a lack of consistency a few deliveries will be played on merit and then ill bowl a few more accurate deliveries that get smashed around.

It does seem that the batting AI needs a few tweaks. What I've been seeing is quite odd in that the AI tends to go for huge flamboyant shots over the top, regardless of the quality of the bowling a lot of the time. It seems that this attitude is slightly compensated for by the AI rarely edging anything, it's either middled or misses, which only becomes a problem for them when it takes the off stump.

Due to the way they bat they tend to get bowled a lot, as well as a few LBWs, with only one or so edges a match at most (as in first class match). Basically keeping the line in the corridor of uncertainty doesn't bother them all that much, they're more than happy to go over the top from a ball that if they miss (and they do often), it could well take their off stump. Despite lots of these shots though, they just don't edge it that often. This to be honest is a bit disappointing, but from my experience in the game so far it's worth noting that it doesn't appear to be related to the physics, as I've seen the AI get plenty of edges off me. It just seems that the AI is capable of either middling or missing when it comes to these shots they continuously play.

That said my experiences are almost completely on pro, maybe they get more edges and are clean bowled less on the higher difficulties.

It does seem that the batting AI needs a few tweaks. What I've been seeing is quite odd in that the AI tends to go for huge flamboyant shots over the top, regardless of the quality of the bowling a lot of the time. It seems that this attitude is slightly compensated for by the AI rarely edging anything, it's either middled or misses, which only becomes a problem for them when it takes the off stump.

Due to the way they bat they tend to

lget bowled a lot, as well as a few LBWs, with only one or so edges a
match at most (as in first class
match). Basically keeping the line in the corridor of uncertainty doesn't
bother them all that much, they're more than happy to go over the top from a ball that if they miss (and
they do often), it could well take
their off stump. Despite lots of these shots though, they just don't
edge it that often. This to be honest
is a bit disappointing, but from my experience in the game so far it's
worth noting that it doesn't appear
to be related to the physics, as I've seen the AI get plenty of edges off
me. It just seems that the AI is
capable of either middling or missing when it comes to these shots they
continuously play.

That said my experiences are almost
completely on pro, maybe they get
more edges and are clean bowled less on the higher difficulties.
its sooo frustrating having the ai play and miss at 5 away swingers and then smash an accurate inswinger over the top for 4

Got the game yesterday and had a couple of matches last night. Played T10s on amateur Hants vs Lancs and England vs Holland and won both comfortably although I lost a few more wickets than I'd have liked.

I really enjoyed both the batting and bowling gameplay and the commentators are good though it was odd having them and especially the stadium announcer read the score in Aus format in an English county match! Not that I mind, I'm well used to it from the Aus commentators on TMS over the years.

Today I'm going to spend some time in the nets and match practice on pro to have a go at the more advanced controls required, see if I can bowl without the HUD and have a go at some one day matches.

Sunday though I've got the whole day free so will be settling in to a 4 day first class match as Hampshire away at Gloucestershire while I listen to the real thing on the radio. Hopefully it won't be too confusing!

Can't believe how fun they have made bowling. Use to always simulate it as it was so boring just choosing the pitch marker. Love it when a plan comes off. Most satisfying thing I've found in the game so far is bowling a full straight one and bowling him. Celebrate them like a real game!

Absolutely love this game!!! Had about 8 hrs on it last night and can't believe just how good it is, ok I can see the issues with run outs, not picking out some fielders etc that have been mentioned but to a cricket tragic like myself its just awesome! Love the graphics and sound, I'm only on amateur as I'm not usually too good at games with lots of buttons to use but managed a solid 42 in my first game in my custom league that I set up (4 day competition) abd a 82 in my second game!! Loving the bowling too!! The stats and depth if this game is fantastic, I was so engrossed in the game I appealed out loud at times and nearly forgot the button!! Well done to all @BigAntStudios, it has been great to have been part of the journey and now with the game here I can only hope this is going to be a fantastic franchise. Furthermore there is no way any previous sports games first attempt that even comes close, I cannot believe just how good it is! The Missis is goin out for the day and we have babysitters arranged for tonight, and if she thinks we're going out she's sadly mistaken!! Great work guys.

Apart from scoring nearly 400 in a T20 (yes, on amateur!), this has to be the highlight so far:

The finest of leg glances. Beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made my first meaningful contribution with the bat.came in with derbyshire 112 for 9 made 7 runs... off about 50 balls allowing my partner to add another 42 runs to the score. All out for 163. felt so good helping my side shift the momentum

I actually find batting easier without the circles, colours and all the "noise" near the ball.

If you bat from close behind batsman and watch the ball out of the hand (just like real life!) it's a lot better IMO.

Although I haven't faced anyone bowling 150 clicks yet.

Agreed

Snicks to keeper are def there to be had, bit thicker to edges are very Very rare!

Ross any tips? Or do you feel they are a little too rare aswell!

Loving this game, wish i could bowl on veteran and bat on pro though ha!

I'm only playing on Pro but have had a few edges to slip / keeper. I find that a couple of things help with this. If bowling fast, selecting the angle in which you bowl makes a difference (Press left analogue stick left or right when choosing length). What I like to do is with a right handed fast bowler bowling to a right handed batsmen is bowl out swingers by approaching close to the stumps, or bowl over the wicket with a wide approach also bowling out swingers to right handed batsmen. Give it a try and see if you notice more edges.

I'm only playing on Pro but have had a few edges to slip / keeper. I find that a couple of things help with this. If bowling fast, selecting the angle in which you bowl makes a difference (Press left analogue stick left or right when choosing length). What I like to do is with a right handed fast bowler bowling to a right handed batsmen is bowl out swingers by approaching close to the stumps, or bowl over the wicket with a wide approach also bowling out swingers to right handed batsmen. Give it a try and see if you notice more edges.

You can get them, they happen, just not as often as they should. No where near in fact.

Here's a question though. Can you give us a rough breakdown of the sort of wickets you're taking off the AI in terms of the categories:

How out:
Bowled
LBW
Run Out
Caught & Bowled
Caught by Wicket Keeper
Caught in slips
Caught other

Because at the moment getting around 60-70% from bowled and LBW, another 10% from catches in the outfield and the rest from run outs with only a handful of edges to the slips and wicket keeper in 20 odd matches (I'd say about 1 ever 2 games, with maybe 1 a game if I'm really aiming just for that).

If you want an easier set of options to break it down into:

How out:
Bowled/LBW
Edged to slip/keeper
Otherwise caught
Run out

For me this would be about:

Bowled/LBW: 60-70%
Edged to slip/keeper: >2%
Otherwise caught: 15-20%
Run out: 10-15%

Rough count from the 2013 Ashes series:

How out:
Bowled/LBW: 33%
Edged to slip/keeper: 42%
Otherwise caught: 23%
Run out: 2%

That is, the most prevalent type of dismissal is sorely lacking against the AI.

Again, the physics engine seems to handle it well, and I've edged many a ball to the keeper and slips, it seems the issue is large one of AI mentalities.

Last edited:
You can get them, they happen, just not as often as they should. No where near in fact.

Here's a question though. Can you give us a rough breakdown of the sort of wickets you're taking off the AI in terms of the categories:

How out:
Bowled
LBW
Run Out
Caught & Bowled
Caught by Wicket Keeper
Caught in slips
Caught other

Because at the moment getting around 60-70% from bowled and LBW, another 10% from catches in the outfield and the rest from run outs with only a handful of edges to the slips and wicket keeper in 20 odd matches (I'd say about 1 ever 2 games, with maybe 1 a game if I'm really aiming just for that).

I think the proportions of types of dismissals is all down to your chosen bowling plan. For example if I only bowl good length / full straight deliveries, the outcome is that when I get my timing wrong I get spanked to the boundary but when I get it right with the right analogue flicking up in the correct spot I will more often than not get an lbw chance or clean out the batsmen's stumps. When I use this plan the %'s that you quoted seem about correct. The majority of dismissals tend to be bowled / lbw 70%, with around 10% catches in the outfield, 10% catches to the keeper & about 5%cathes to slip and 5% run outs.

When I choose a plan of bowling angled short / good length delivers the % change quite a bit. I would estimate that dismissals are to the keeper / slips increase by around 20% - 30%. Dismissals due to catches in the outfield increase as well. Also as a side note I have started playing with headphones as I have noticed I am able to pick up the sound of faint nicks to the keeper a lot better and have led me to appealing and getting decisions given. I have noticed that by using my headphones I am appealing and getting may more caught behinds as I just did not hear them when playing the audio through the TV.

In limited overs cricket the aim is to bowl your opponent out for as few runs as possible. Only you can determine what bowling plan will allow you to execute this most effectively based on your proficiency. I find bowling good length / full deliveries straight tends not to be the most effective plan for me as I haven't quite mastered all the intricacies of the bowling mechanics yet. To give you an idea about where I stand, I am able to get most sides out for about 100 - 120 runs when playing T20's on Pro difficulty. I find that bowling a higher proportion of short / good length with a few occasional full deliveries (basically mixing it up) tends to be most effective for me, as I am able to bowl more dot balls and keep the runs down. My batting is very poor and I usually get bowled out for around 40 - 50 runs. (Loving the learning curve though, yesterday I was getting bowled out for around 20 - 30 runs)

When I play the longer form of the game depending on situation (bowling to 2 opening batsmen who are set with 1 sessions remaining for a draw etc.) containing the run rate / not leaking runs potentially becomes a higher priority than taking wickets. So I find that due to my skill level (or lack thereof) me bowling full / good length straight delivers will loose me the match, where as I find that me bowling the shorter / good length angled outswingers tends to give me to a better chance of achieving the draw.

Users who are viewing this thread