Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

My understanding is that Xbox manual is fine.

The ps3 manual has a page incorrect which is posted here on PC. We printed the manual for ps3 last year as they have a longer lead time, that's where the issue arises.

Most games don't have "real" manuals so as to save costs and allow for last minute digital changes. I guess I am old school and like physical goods which is why the manual is the size it is.

It is my promise to try to resolve your issues as best we can.

As the manual is "full of errors", can you please point out any other errors in the manual and I will resolve those also.

There are errors in the Xbox manual as well.

They have the buttons for the throws to the keeper and at stumps a bit wrong. The layout in the game is:

Y: Throw at non-strikers end
X: Throw at keepers end
A: Throw to keepers end
B: Throw to non-strikers end

But the manual has:

Y: Throw at keepers end
X: Throw at non-strikers end
A: Throw to keepers end
B: Throw to non-strikers end

Thanks @Alberts much appreciated, would you know if it's correct in the in-game HUD?

Don't want to seem like i'm complaining but would it be possible to make block R3? That way you would only have to worry about using the analogue sticks if you were trying to build a innings. Also i find it very annoying when i go to drive something and accidentally hit R3 and get bowled or LBW.

Question of interest. Why does the circle appear latter around the ball in career mode as apposed to nets?

Also why does the window for block have to be the same? why not move it back a bit?

I find that when trying to not to premeditate a block i'm always late. Now before some of you smart asses answer that making the timing window bigger would make blocking easier, take in to account blocking in real life actually does require less reaction speed. The bat doesn't have to move as far or with as much power. Blocking should be easier to perform than a drive but that doesn't mean you cant get out on it. I've performed a perfect cover drive on a good length ball and snicked off I've also done the same when blocking. when batsmen get out blocking it's not because they've mistimed the block it's because they have got the footwork wrong.

Blocking needs to be easier or your just going to get out on every good length ball. I'm not saying it's impossible to do at the moment it's actually quite easy against slower paced bowlers but against fast bowlers its almost impossible not to block without premeditation.

If no controls are changed or timing windows or ball indicators, could the fast bowlers in the nets at least be made to ball good length deliveries on the stumps? It might just be me but i seem to find that the bowlers in the nets on random almost never ball good length deliveries on the stumps. This is really annoying because those are the deliveries I have the most trouble with because you cant drive them or you get caught.

Thanks @Alberts much appreciated, would you know if it's correct in the in-game HUD?

Haven't really checked, I basically got on what worked for that part of the controls.

----------

I think the proportions of types of dismissals is all down to your chosen bowling plan. For example if I only bowl good length / full straight deliveries, the outcome is that when I get my timing wrong I get spanked to the boundary but when I get it right with the right analogue flicking up in the correct spot I will more often than not get an lbw chance or clean out the batsmen's stumps. When I use this plan the %'s that you quoted seem about correct. The majority of dismissals tend to be bowled / lbw 70%, with around 10% catches in the outfield, 10% catches to the keeper & about 5%cathes to slip and 5% run outs.

When I choose a plan of bowling angled short / good length delivers the % change quite a bit. I would estimate that dismissals are to the keeper / slips increase by around 20% - 30%. Dismissals due to catches in the outfield increase as well. Also as a side note I have started playing with headphones as I have noticed I am able to pick up the sound of faint nicks to the keeper a lot better and have led me to appealing and getting decisions given. I have noticed that by using my headphones I am appealing and getting may more caught behinds as I just did not hear them when playing the audio through the TV.

In limited overs cricket the aim is to bowl your opponent out for as few runs as possible. Only you can determine what bowling plan will allow you to execute this most effectively based on your proficiency. I find bowling good length / full deliveries straight tends not to be the most effective plan for me as I haven't quite mastered all the intricacies of the bowling mechanics yet. To give you an idea about where I stand, I am able to get most sides out for about 100 - 120 runs when playing T20's on Pro difficulty. I find that bowling a higher proportion of short / good length with a few occasional full deliveries (basically mixing it up) tends to be most effective for me, as I am able to bowl more dot balls and keep the runs down. My batting is very poor and I usually get bowled out for around 40 - 50 runs. (Loving the learning curve though, yesterday I was getting bowled out for around 20 - 30 runs)

When I play the longer form of the game depending on situation (bowling to 2 opening batsmen who are set with 1 sessions remaining for a draw etc.) containing the run rate / not leaking runs potentially becomes a higher priority than taking wickets. So I find that due to my skill level (or lack thereof) me bowling full / good length straight delivers will loose me the match, where as I find that me bowling the shorter / good length angled outswingers tends to give me to a better chance of achieving the draw.

This issue isn't down to the bowling plans used in this case. Sticking the ball down the corridor of uncertainty and getting it to move away, there is always a risk of an edge from the drive (one of the most basic ways of trying to get a dismissal early). Except for with the AI, rather than getting an edge, they either get a boundary from completely middling, or miss entirely, off balls following identical lines in many cases. The funny part is that most of the edges I've gotten are from something completely different, normally the odd loose ball that angles in at them and caught by surprise it takes the top of the bat through to the keeper.

When we consider that something like 45% of dismissals in cricket are by being caught behind (so keeper and slips) and in the game something is impressed to show 3 in an innings, that is a serious issue. Again, it's not about the physics, as the edge physics is great in this game, as the AI are more than happy to demonstrate on my batting. It does seem to be an issue of AI mentality, so if Big Ant are to do something about this quite serious issue it will be something they'll be working on for a while, as to not unbalance anything. Hopefully with such balance though they can reduce the number of clean bowleds that occur when they try those flamboyant shots that they like and increase the number of edges to something approaching realism in a way that the AI can survive a bit better, particularly on higher difficulties.

@BigAntStudios '
Firstly, thankyou for DBC14.

I would like to know what you and the guys at Bigant think about the game thus far? Are you overwhelming happy with the end product? Are there any regrets? Somewhere in between?

I, myself had poor first impressions of the game, however the more i play, the more it is drawing me in and really starting to enjoy it. The small bits are done extremely well (PA announcer is awesome, shot animations, BARS) however some more major "critical" areas such as the AI (or lack of AI) seems a bit suspect.

Was just curious mate as to how things are going so far for you guys?

Thanks again Ross.

We're too close to it as it's been years so it's hard to be completely objective, internally at Big Ant I am a bigger critic of the game than anyone here, we strive to make the perfect game.

What I am happy about is that most issues that are being complained about can be patched and that in the main the game has been well received.

I should add that we took so many risks and made so many changes to what cricket games have been that no one would back us and we had to self fund the title. I am very happy that most gameplay risks seem to have worked out so far.

The hard yards have been gained and I think we have a good base to build on.

Last edited:
And your continued dedication to these forums, ensuring all suggestions are at minimum listened to, all complaints handled where possible, will result in the perfection you desire.

Bloody legend mate. :thumbs

question? how do you select the bowler of your choice when bowling an over?

I just spent 4 quality hours with the game, and I'm more than impressed with this effort ross. Big Ant has done it with style for sure. I've never felt so great while playing a cricket game. Life like edges off the bat, great fielding animations, and the list goes on and on.. Add to that, controls are buttery smooth except for that slight run out issue, and that bowling system is so intuitive. Thank you for making this amazing game, and I hope you guys rectify those simple issues with a patch to make it perfect. You've earned a lifelong fan :cheers

Excellent game. Played for at least 10 hours. Just one question if someone will be so kind. I don't see spin ball turning or fast bowler swinging. I know I'm using the right controls. Is this a bug? Thanks

I can't see Man of the Match Presentation in any casual match ??? Nor cheerleaders :rolleyes

p.s plz also fix canny animations in 2nd patch if possible. Yesterday I saw another thing the AI batsman foot were clearly inside but the was given out by third umpire .......

Thanks alot for this great game. This game is not for noobs but for real cricketers..

Users who are viewing this thread