Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The best option to stop folks from cheesing is to only allow preset fields for online games, else people will find a way to exploit the game. There are already enough preset fields so let people find a strategy around those fields rather than come up with a field where they have a bunch of close-in fielders which block all the shots.

The pre-set fields would need to be improved though because right now they are very poor. They also have useless slips.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The pre-set fields would need to be improved though because right now they are very poor. They also have useless slips.

I'm fine with that as long as you can select only from preset fields online. Hopefully fields would be addressed in patch 2 and they are the ones allowed to be used online. As for slips, there hasn't been a single cricket video game where slips have actually been of any use.

Blinder

Banned
I'm fine with that as long as you can select only from preset fields online. Hopefully fields would be addressed in patch 2 and they are the ones allowed to be used online. As for slips, there hasn't been a single cricket video game where slips have actually been of any use.[/QUOTE]

You serious?

Slips catches were prominent in SWC99 and International Cricket 10 and modded versions of Cricket 2007

EDIT: And International Cricket Captain

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
The best option to stop folks from cheating is to only allow preset fields for online games, else people will find a way to exploit the game. There are already enough preset fields so let people find a strategy around those fields rather than come up with a field where they have a bunch of close-in fielders which block all the shots.

Currently you get guys setting up Silly Mid-On,Silly Mid-Off , Mid On, Long On , Long Off and Mid Off , together with the absurd straight guy in the sightscreen.

Guess where they then bowl ALL their balls.......

Something needs to be done to avoid this situation. :eek:

My solution :

A. Totally remove the guy in the sightscreen (Cannot remember what the game calls him , and thats saying alot as I`ve been playing cricket for the last 24 years)
B. Don`t Allow the option of having All those other fielders in front of you. (Nowhere in RL cricket will you have this , so the game must dissallow this field setting.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So turns out the difficulty level ramps up a bit the minute you get your first contract, huh? Playing in the UK T20 league for, um.... I dunno, some team. The one where our logo is cool orange dragon. I picked my team because; Logo.

Anywho, turns out I'm getting a gazillion* edges every match now and having to almost exaggerate my footwork in conjunction with the shots I'm playing. Which is fine, before in Pro/Career Mode I was getting away with just shoving the trigger forward but now it's forcing me to push it towards the angle of the delivery and then execute the corresponding shot. Certainly easier said than done, especially against pace bowlers. fish that noise at anything over 130kmph, it's physically IMPOSSIBLE to do with the short reaction time. Guesswork, mostly.

I'm finding the tolerances for these two things pretty haphazard at this higher difficulty, although I'm guessing with time it'll get easier... but I'm definitely getting out edged-caught-keeper 1:3 now, where previously it was 1:8 so I guess that's kinda cool, little frustrating that the game is kinda forcing me into a corner to rethink the way I've learned how to play, but the upshot is I'm not getting caught out by Mid On or Mid Off anymore, as when I do the exaggerated movements, the ball-off-the-bat tends to be a bit more precise in picking the gap.

All that being said, the ball speed off the bat now is more of glaring issue at the higher difficulty level, I'm not sure where everyone else is in the career but @blockerdave and I seem to be on the same page regarding the ball-speed, but has anyone else found this to be sluggish the further up the career ladder you get? It's definitely much slower now for me and a number of times I've thought I'd really connected (Sound and Visually the game lets me know I've done the right thing) only for the ball to seemingly take an age to go anywhere or simply loop up in the air off-screen, which gives the impression it's gone a mile until the fielder leaps to his left/right and takes a catch...

It's happened maybe, three times since my new contract?

So it's definitely more noticable now the difficulty has notched up a bit.

All that being said, I've been able to execute power-shots a lot better, and scored a brilliant 28 off about 8 deliveries in the final two overs of a T20 match to set up a pretty decent 162, only to lose the game because our bowlers suck... so I might choose a different county side next time, but there's definitely, finally some nice rewards happening now I'm into year 6 of my career. So that's nice... albeit, batting still tends to be a bit of a crapshoot in the field, it's at least nice to be able to get some reward and payoff finally.

Be interested to know if going back to the Australian domestic season the difficulty level drops back down again for the domestic stuff or stays about the same? Certainly gotta re-learn how to bat again so I wonder if the exaggerated footwork will have an impact on that?

Cool stuff at work, either way.

*Statistical numerical fact

Last edited:

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
The difficulty shouldn't raise for overseas contracts, only international, people have said the English domestic season is harder for some reason though apparently?

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's definitely a difficulty increase. Might be marginal, but it's there. I'm having to bat in a completely different way. It's a good thing, not a bad thing btw...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's definitely a difficulty increase. Might be marginal, but it's there. I'm having to bat in a completely different way. It's a good thing, not a bad thing btw...

possibly slower pitches in Eng affecting timing and/or more lateral movement due to conditions?

because if anything I found making the opposite move, going from English county into BBL easy, even though i was facing "better" opposition (more international players) - i battered Malinga in one game. i felt i could feel the ball coming on nicely, trusted the timing. even when there was a mid-off and mid-on, i felt i could clear them...

p.s. where we're definitely on the same page is considering the challenge and adjustments needed to be a good thing. i bloody love that i am still only "ok" at nowhere near the highest level. and when i was thinking i got t20 down, and considering a new career on veteran, i start my season 4 t20 with 3 golden ducks and 6... brilliant.

Last edited:

vikram_101

Club Cricketer
I have just got my new Sammy TV and Don Bradman here in Germany !!!!
Super excited I started playing :) I had created my team in Academy and it was so quickly on my console.

I was pathetic in my first match, but I cannot stop jumping as this is certainly the best cricket I have seen in my life !!

I know I am writing this too late ;) but just wanted to share my excitement :)

KUDOS BIG ANT !!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
@Biggs,
My career layer is based in Aus (Western Warriors) and I recently got a contract playing for Yorkshire in English Pro40. I didn't find batting that difficult and was able to score runs the same way I did in Aus. However, two main differences I did see in Pro40 compared to Aus domestic cricket are :-

1. The grounds in England are smaller with boundaries mostly around 66m or so. I'm hardly able to get 3s in Pro40 when I used to get them plenty of times in Aus.

2. There are lot more medium/slowish medium bowlers in Eng than Aus. In Aus you came across Hopes, Sayers and Faulkner but mostly the other pace bowlers were fast medium or fast. In English Pro40 most of the teams have slowish medium players which makes it tougher to score and time the ball against. This might be causing you to not time the ball or the ball not going to boundaries.

Other than that, spinners are a problem as usual with Tredwell specifically quite dangerous.

----------

Currently you get guys setting up Silly Mid-On,Silly Mid-Off , Mid On, Long On , Long Off and Mid Off , together with the absurd straight guy in the sightscreen.

Guess where they then bowl ALL their balls.......

Something needs to be done to avoid this situation. :eek:

My solution :

A. Totally remove the guy in the sightscreen (Cannot remember what the game calls him , and thats saying alot as I`ve been playing cricket for the last 24 years)
B. Don`t Allow the option of having All those other fielders in front of you. (Nowhere in RL cricket will you have this , so the game must dissallow this field setting.

As I mentioned earlier, best solution is to not allow folks to customize fields in online games as they will end up exploiting the game. Folks did the same thing in AC09 with packed fields with short cover & short mid wkt who used to catch even a well timed shot. I'm sure folks will do the same thing here as well and the only way to fix the issue is by only allowing folks to use pre-set fields online. Otherwise online games will not be fun and more about who can abuse the game more.

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
I've definitely got a theory based on the game feeling totally different in Aus and the UK.

Finding it a lot easier in Australia than I did in Essex. I took 1 10 wicket haul in 18 matches in England, but have already got 2 tenfers in 6 games in Australia and have scored my 1st 50.

saulman55

School Cricketer
Just a quick heads up to those of you that wanted bigant to make a rugby union game. Hb studios and big ben interactive have just announced rugby 15 to release this autumn on ps4 xbone ps3 360 and pc

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Honestly, I don't see any logical reason for applying forced difficulty levels to the career mode. It's a bizarre design choice and I'd love to hear an explanation for it.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Honestly, I don't see any logical reason for applying forced difficulty levels to the career mode. It's a bizarre design choice and I'd love to hear an explanation for it.

I think Ross has stated that they wanted career mode to be not that easy since it affected the leaderboard scores. But I agree that they should make career available on every difficulty level. If someone cares about leaderboards & XP points that much, he/she can go ahead and play career mode on Rookie if he/she so desires.

Users who are viewing this thread