Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
First game completed. A T20 between the Thunder and Sixers on whatever the default difficulty...it's one of the bottom two (I was Sixers)

Overall, from one game on a low difficulty level, it was fun. The AI bowling speeds were a bit low (but they felt fast enough). I'll need to check if this is an impact of the difficulty level, or if I need to change something with my creations in CA. AI bowler selection seems perfectly normal too.

Dilshan just couldn't get any strike, and I got in a zone with O'Keefe when batting. Hazlewood had two lucky reflex C&Bs.

Some standout moments

1. I was bowled with Brett Lee after inside edging a forward defensive on to the stumps.
  2. I survived a review for LBW - ball struck me on the full outside legstump. Was cool to see an umpire make a mistake
  3. Had a couple of really nice quick bouncers to the AI, looked like they really were beaten for pace

Some things which jump out at me

1. I think players fielding off their own bowling needs to be toned down significantly. The abundance of reflex C&Bs felt a bit off.
  2. I personally had no issue with how running is set up. I press Circle as soon as I know I'm not running. It's easy. My two run outs were simply because I mis-judged the run.

0lNLP0I.jpg

Sixers Innings

Thunder Innings

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
sounds awesome Snowy... I am glad to mentioned the C&Bs because i got a similar impression from some of the videos but didn't want to mention it having not played it.

imhassan

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
@SnowyCasanova if that's at the default difficult, it's amateur. The jump from amateur to Pro, however, is pretty big.

Guybrush Threep

Club Captain
Can someone tell me how the ground fielding works? Is it automatic and you only have to worry about throwing and catching?

Cheers.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
sounds awesome Snowy... I am glad to mentioned the C&Bs because i got a similar impression from some of the videos but didn't want to mention it having not played it.

It's not so much the C&Bs as it is bowlers fielding off their own bowling (of which the C&Bs are a by-product).

Granted the ball is basically hit right at them, but the near super-human reflexes is a bit...jarring? Not sure if that is too strong of a word or not. That being said, it didn't really impact on my overall enjoyment of the one game I've played.

Just another couple of points

1. The likenesses carry over to the game well. I'm glad I put in the effort for these teams I used
  2. The lighting and atmosphere is very enjoyable
  3. You need to focus every delivery - whether your batting or bowling. When bowling, you have to think 'Ok, what am I going to do this delivery?". Batting you have to think "Ok watch the ball and play the right shot". Having no pre-determined, 'Dance Dance Revolution' style mechanics is deadset fun

----------

Can someone tell me how the ground fielding works? Is it automatic and you only have to worry about throwing and catching?

Cheers.

Semi-assisted is just catching and throwing. The AI looks after all the movement for you.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The reflexes of bowlers really need to be toned down. Because of this I no longer play any on drive or straight drive :noway

sharp7

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The reflexes of bowlers really need to be toned down. Because of this I no longer play any on drive or straight drive :noway

Hey angry, could you answer my question please? It's on the previous page.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sorry mate, Haven't started career mode yet because of the linking problem in the teams. Lemme finish my 50 over match which I'm playing now and then I'll try career. I hope someone else can help.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Just an update on earlier, no, the audio bowling assistance isn't in Pro and higher difficulties. Disappointing, but it certainly helped me get the hang of it, which is helping me bowl better now I'm on pro again.

Certainly in my view more helpful than the HUD equivalent, but YMMV.

BRAB

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Spin bowling is an absolute dream :) Got a stumping where he went for a little push and his foot was ever so slightly acroos the line, got another where he went for a cut on a short one outside off, underedge to the keeper. Got a little dolly to first slip off a defensive shot! Bowled a wrong-un as well, so felt good!

Getting better at spin now! One ball I bowled got to 1500rpm, which sounds bad but I was averaging around 400 when I started!

Obviously more time is needed, but damn, this game is fun so far

mikexpress88

School Cricketer
I love this game. I played a five 5 game and got smacked. Then I started a career as a batting all rounder. Scored 11 - 0 - 0 - 4 in my first 2 4 day games and took no wickets in the first but the second ended up with match figures of 6 for 37. So tough and also so rewarding :)

Users who are viewing this thread